Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
The amount of XP you get from enemies is based on your level relative to theirs. The higher they are, the more you get, the lower they are, the less you get.

I took Mindread early on to reduce the amount of XP lost through mind reading, and also put points into Wisdom to help recoup that cost as well. I'm wondering if either of these skills are actually worthwhile, since as stated above, if you fall behind in level, you'll end up "catching up" anyway through the XP system.

EDIT: Also, what's the cap on stats? Is it 100?

Last edited by james5272; 20/11/10 05:07 AM.
veteran
veteran
Neither are really worth investing permanent points into. But it's a good idea to keep +Mindread and +Wisdom jewelry in your inventory if you know you're going to mind-read someone/complete a quest soon.

The cap on stats is 100, unfortunately. That hurts Unarmed combat most of all.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Hmm, yeah stat cap of 100 is a bit disappointing, mainly because I'll be able to hit it with the aid of potions soon and I'm not into FoV yet. Oh well.

P
apprentice
apprentice
P
I started fov at level 36 and finished at level 48, I had max mindread(free) and max wisdom. I did every quest but one.. couldnt find one of the bounty board most wanted. I didnt intentionaly grind respawns either.

So what level did people finish who didnt use wisdom/mindread and played along the same lines?
That would pretty much tell us if it has any real effect... which ive often wondered myself.

veteran
veteran
I started FoV at level 36 and finished at level 46.

P
apprentice
apprentice
P
well 2 levels aint really worth 29 skill points.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
I'm Level 35, and the game has been a lot less fun ever since I hit 28. Get a lot less experience for kills, and since that's the main source of XP, levelling slows down a LOT. It's feels a bit like this game punishes you for being thorough... Oblivion had enemy scaling which was bad, and this game has player scaling, which I think is just as bad.

Oh well. I'm sure I'm near the end, which means FoV will be soon, and hopefully it's as fun as the first 25 hours of DKS was.

P
journeyman
journeyman
P
To answer your original quest in case no one else has: Mindreading is beyond useful in FOV. Mindreads start costing outrageous amounts of EXP the second you hit FOV.

Wisdom...not so much really. I haven't really needed it that much. I was 35 when I beat ED, and I didn't really have any levels in Wisdom, and the game was already beyond easy.

They tone down the EXP so that if you do everything you don't end up at level 99 or some other high number. I mean, yeah, it seems pretty nasty (Like for example, as soon as I finished the BT, monsters were giving over 2k a kill, then I gained one level and it shot down to 800), but it's not like even the end game gives you much of a challenge at that point anyway.

journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
The problem with toning the XP down so much is that it discourages me from wanting to do everything. What other motivation is there? As you said, the game as already very easy even when you stop gaining in power, but the gameplay is built around gaining power. Once that's gone, it isn't like doing every sidequest is fleshing out the story - they either give you some rare set item which may be completely worthless for the class you're playing, finishes up a platform in your tower (which in 2 of the 4 cases does next to nothing), or gives you a mild amount of XP. I think it would've been better if overall XP gain was lower, because then the game would've been challenging throughout, instead of just the first ten levels.

This has been an overall good game until shortly after I got the dragon - it seems that's where the game design started to fall apart. I'm near the end, and I'm glad, but that doesn't make this a bad game. It just makes me sad that it went from an enjoyable experience to a dull, monotonous grind.

Last edited by james5272; 20/11/10 08:01 PM.
P
journeyman
journeyman
P
I personally hated the Flying Fortresses myself. They seemed to be mostly a waste of time. I gained probably 3 levels total in them, and I finished a few sets, but besides that it just seemed like I was getting more annoyed than having fun because of the amount of enemies. It's not that they are hard on their own, but as my thread about Homing Arrows says, when you have an entire wall of archers shooting at you with Stun Arrows, it gets extremely annoying very fast.

When I got to the third FF, I just found the chests, took them, and flew away as fast as I could because I didn't want to deal with it at all.

So far, though, in FoV, the EXP gain is pretty decent. I'm I think 40 or 41 and I still get a decent amount of Experience a kill on monsters 3-4 levels under me.

I almost don't want to play the game on Hard simply because the monsters themselves seem to use a Quantity over Quality guideline, which is annoying when you have no party.

I would love to play the game again, though there are little tiny things throughout that bug me. Not to say that the game isn't great, it still is probably the best RPG I've played in a LONG time, it just has it's own little quirks that bothers me. Every game has them, however, so it's not a big deal.

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard