Next Thread
Print Thread
#428238 20/11/10 11:14 PM
D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Can I edit the XML to get high textures, by setting textures = 2 as opposed to 1, with the hotfix?

XP SP3 compatability mode doesn't help me get high textures.

Two World 2 runs on maximum, STALKER and Risen with the massive mod texture packs also run without a problem. Divinity 2: ED ran with the 1GB texture mod no problem...

How can I force high textures? Will the next patch allow it?

D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Its still being changed back down to medium textures when I startup.

A
stranger
stranger
A
Same here, it says I have 'insufficient system memory' which is a bunch of crap...

I have an ATI Radeon 5750 1GB
2 GB ram

M
addict
addict
M
2 GB ram is insufficient. It's the minimum requisite to play the game, at low settings.

A
stranger
stranger
A
I doubt thats the reason for not being able to change texture settings..

I mean, does everyone playing the game have more than 2GB ram?

Are there others who only have 2 GB ram that CAN change texture settings to High?

Last edited by Antver; 25/11/10 11:26 AM.
ava Offline
Eh yup smile Everyone with an xp os will be able to play with 2GB, for Vista/Win7 you need 3GB, it's the os that is to blame :), If we'd allow you to play on high textures anyway you'd crash in the first 5 minutes.

Last edited by ava; 29/11/10 09:45 AM.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
Douglas Adams
D
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
D
Short Comment:
If that were true, then properly speaking not a single modern game should run on any setting on my system... Yet quite the opposite--I get great performance, while people with quad core and lots of slow ram get poor performance.

Long Comment:

I played Divinity 2: ED with the massive texture mod and on high in Win 7. It was smoother than playing with medium textures, strangely.

I have GTX 280 with 1 GB ram and only 1 GB ram in the system. I play, however, every new game without problems, empirically speaking! How come?

My ram is the lowest latency modules you can buy and at the same time very highly overclocked, as is everything in my PC.

How about Larian lets us try to see whether the game will indeed crash with high textures or not? How can we know without trying when everyone's system is totally different? How can anything definite be said without a controlled experiment?

If no crash, then great for that person. If crash then back to medium everything goes, anyway. Besides, the proper use of Win 7 is to change the interface to basic from ultimate when playing games or running rendering.

Last edited by darky2600; 25/11/10 06:50 PM.
S
stranger
stranger
S
Originally Posted by darky2600
Short Comment:
If that were true, then properly speaking not a single modern game should run on any setting on my system... Yet quite the opposite--I get great performance, while people with quad core and lots of slow ram get poor performance.

Long Comment:

I played Divinity 2: ED with the massive texture mod and on high in Win 7. It was smoother than playing with medium textures, strangely.

I have GTX 280 with 1 GB ram and only 1 GB ram in the system. I play, however, every new game without problems, empirically speaking! How come?

My ram is the lowest latency modules you can buy and at the same time very highly overclocked, as is everything in my PC.

How about Larian lets us try to see whether the game will indeed crash with high textures or not? How can we know without trying when everyone's system is totally different? How can anything definite be said without a controlled experiment?

If no crash, then great for that person. If crash then back to medium everything goes, anyway. Besides, the proper use of Win 7 is to change the interface to basic from ultimate when playing games or running rendering.

I figured out how to enable high texture on windows 7 with 2gb of ram.

All you have to do is to Run the program in compatibility mode for Windows XP.

Then you can set the texture to high.

Originally Posted by ava
Eh yup smile Everyone with an xp os will be able to play with 2GB, for Vista/Win7 you need 3GB, it's the os that is to blame :), If we'd allow you to play on high textures anyway you'd crash in the first 5 minutes.

This is really really retarded, i played for 2 hours and there was no lag and no crash at all.

Dear developers, you guys really got to stop doing such a lame thing like locking the texture options...

Last edited by sammm; 28/11/10 03:59 AM.
Z
stranger
stranger
Z
WinXP mode works with 2GB system ram, yes, thanks sammm. I only tested it for about an hour with high textures and ran great, actually the game runs smoother than before, not so choppy on the movement, and I was now able to put my graphics setting to 1680x1050 as well.

Now if we could only force DX10-11 lighting :P

Still I will get another 2GB ram for future needs, and just in case the things go wrong later in the game.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Originally Posted by ava

Your wrong, I have 6 GBs of RAM and a GTX 570 on Win 7 so my RAM is capped at around 4GBS as far as the system can tell. I STILL can't use High Textures because of this problem, which I'm willing to call a bug, or an incredibly stupid decision on the devs part at this point.

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by SpydersByte
I have 6 GBs of RAM and a GTX 570 on Win 7 so my RAM is capped at around 4GBS as far as the system can tell. I STILL can't use High Textures because of this problem, which I'm willing to call a bug, or an incredibly stupid decision on the devs part at this point.

Sounds like a bug or other issue. I also have 6GB RAM, and am using a GTX295 (which only has 850MB VRAM per GPU - much less than your GTX-570), and I have no problem with high textures.

veteran
veteran
Its still being changed back down to medium textures when I startup.

1. Edit XML
2. Set it as READ ONLY
3. ????
4. Probably "PROFIT!!111"

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by SpydersByte
I have 6 GBs of RAM and a GTX 570 on Win 7 so my RAM is capped at around 4GBS

It occurred to me: doesn't the GTX-570 come with 1.25GB of VRAM (more in some editions)?

Being a 32-bit game, your available main menory and graphics memory can't be more than 4GB in total (as you're obviously already aware). Maybe your graphics card is eating up too much memory for storing high-textures in main memory?

Hopefully not - with a card like that you'd definitely want maximum detail!

O
apprentice
apprentice
O
Originally Posted by Antver

I mean, does everyone playing the game have more than 2GB ram?

Yep...24 gigs ddr 3 1600 here

Plus dual 5970s 2 gig cards..

People say I'm crazy..but the voices in my head say I'm just fine.
O
apprentice
apprentice
O
Short Comment:

Long Comment:

Increase in performance by raising settings is normal.

You are offloading from the CPU and making the GPU earn it's money.

People say I'm crazy..but the voices in my head say I'm just fine.
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by ogreballerina
Yep...24 gigs ddr 3 1600 here

Lol - if you had that much memory, then you've wasted your money - but for the more sane people out there: too much VRAM might impinge heavily on your basic memory for a 32 bit (4GB) app like DKS. Remember that 'basic' memory includes enough OS memory to accommodate the necessary system calls - it's not just the memory allocated to the game itself.

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard