Next Thread
Print Thread
#429204 27/11/10 01:25 AM
G
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
just tryed ego draconis for 2days:result...worst rpg ever played,full of invisible walls, no use being an archer cause you can't shoot enemies until the life points are visible but enemies shoot you from any distance, the creatures you summon are slow and dumb as a shoe (keep shooting in crates or walls rather than shoot your enemies,)i end up walking an inch above the floor when walking near a mountain..... http://www.larian.com/forums/images/icons/default/thumbs_down.gif
makes me wonder what game testers are suppose to be paid for.

am i the only one not paid to say its a good game ???
anybody else thinks this game sucks?
make me say :oblivion where is your sequel?

journeyman
journeyman
Yeah -- I wonder about that bug -- why be an archer and have 'sneak' when you can't do damage until they see you.

Same problem with magic user -- I can't toss off a fireball or spell, but they can shoot me?

What's up with that?

Seems like a major bug.

I loved oblivion -- I loved it's 'console' and the ability to change my stats and setup my own scenarios or play it however I wanted. It was the best game I've EVER played -- and have played several RPG. Sacred-2 was a disappointment -- hate the overhead-only view -- no 1st person. Dragon-Age -- just couldn't get into it. It was too much like 'Mass Effect' but with a much worse 'in-game console', and much more vague graphics -- not compelling at all -- didn't play it more than a week before I got bored to death.

This game is shaping up to be ok -- at least it doesn't crash real often like Sacred-2, I was real annoyed starting out -- as I was totally lost and dying all over the place -- NO FUN -- had it on 'easy', and was getting slaughtered. Only by playing it extremely 'tediously' was I able to proceed -- but no where near a fun level to have to save every other step.

The version that came with that was for Ego-Draconis...with DKS, they seem to have made some changes that made some of my worst problems easier -- still alot of work, but ok.

But Oblivian -- I really like having a walkthrough-guide and really liked being able to skip the killing 1000's of 'ants' phase to build up to a character that can survive. I really liked being able to set stats and such to a level that was challenging enough for me (I'd die if I got sloppy), but was playable if I was paying attention. That -- and the ability to have a character designer -- with custom made aesthetics -- even multiple permanent companions that could follow me around -- had a beautiful entourage at one point, thought keeping them all healed got to be a drag -- so I just set their AC to an effective 110%, so not only would they not get damaged, but would return 10% of the damage back to the attacker.

Really nice mod system. Can't have enough praise for games that let me play them 'my way' rather than some predefined 'vision' of someone else.

I prefer my game to be 'my story'...

M
addict
addict
M
Originally Posted by gamecritic
just tryed ego draconis for 2days:result...worst rpg ever played,full of invisible walls

I didn't find many myself, can't remember exactly where there would be one.

no use being an archer cause you can't shoot enemies until the life points are visible but enemies shoot you from any distance, the creatures you summon are slow and dumb as a shoe (keep shooting in crates or walls rather than shoot your enemies,)i end up walking an inch above the floor when walking near a mountain.....

Do you use a no-cd crack or something ? Because I never got that problem. I can shoot ennemies before they can get to me. Creatures are dumb, yeah.

Funny considering oblivion is said to suck without heavy modding.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by melianos

Do you use a no-cd crack or something ? Because I never got that problem. I can shoot ennemies before they can get to me. Creatures are dumb, yeah.

I have the same problem. My copy is a download, so a no-CD crack wouldn't make any sense.

I also can't shoot any magic spells until it targets them, but they can shoot at me from outside my target distance. My summoned creature (bless his ungodly soul) can target them with no problem, but not me -- I have to wait till I'm much closer.

I have the ranger-sneak option where I am supposed to be able to get closer before they discover me -- and I usually carry a bow. But it seems reversed.

Seems like a game bug -- like the 'sign' is reversed -- instead of me getting 14% closer without them noticing me, they can get 14% closer to me without me being able to target them.

How can I have a CD-violation if it is a download...
See this is why I HATE DRM crap that modifies and contaminates game play -- because you don't know if the DRM is broken or if the game is broken -- but in my case, OF COURSE, I don't have a CD in the drive, since it was purchased from Amazon as a download!

Maybe the DRM is broken and still looks for a CD in the drive, and not seeing one, assumes I am cheating?

Can I get a version that has this fixed? Maybe one without the DRM part that modifies game play?
Maybe all the crap I'm experiencing is because of a broken DRM system --

I've had DRM fail on my system before -- not be able to read perfectly valid CD's (for whatever reason)...I don't know.

How can I tell if the DRM is causing these bugs? Why doesn't it just issue a warning or a message and not let you play, instead of corrupting the game?

From what you are saying, the bugs I'm experiencing are probably related to the DRM thinking I'm using 'no-CD', --- even though I'm running a download copy.

Am I the only one who sees something very wrong with this picture -- why would DRM be included
in a download copy anyway -- especially DRM that checks for a CD??

Astara #429313 27/11/10 08:30 PM
M
addict
addict
M
Slow down, I'm not saying it's because of DRM, I don't have a clue, as I'm not from larian studio smile

I was just checking, as that sounded like a DRM-linked problem.
Have you contacted support yet ?

http://www.larian.com/d2_support.php

Even if the larian dev roam quite a lot through the forum, they can miss topics, but most times they asked for the dxdiag, sometimes for a savegame.

addict
addict
"Best game ever."

I fixed that for accuracy.

My Favorite RPGs: Divinity franchise, Gothic franchise (including Arcania, so I think I'm alone...), Venetica, Risen, Two Worlds II, The Witcher, Sacred franchise, Fallout franchise, Mass Effect 1, Alpha Protocol, Planescape: Torment, Drakensang, KOTOR 1 & 2, etc.
R
apprentice
apprentice
R
To each their own. In my opinion Oblivion without mods is shit. Divinity 2 certainly has its faults, but makes up for them with lots of charm, humour and wits.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Originally Posted by Libertarian
"Best game ever."

Incorrect. Best game ever goes to Mass Effect 2.

You really need to play more games.

Investing points in ranger stealth lets you get closer to enemies before they notice you.
If you want to play rouge-ish types, just pick the correct skills for it smile

addict
addict
just tryed ego draconis for 2days:result...worst rpg ever played,full of invisible walls, no use being an archer cause you can't shoot enemies until the life points are visible but enemies shoot you from any distance, the creatures you summon are slow and dumb as a shoe (keep shooting in crates or walls rather than shoot your enemies,)i end up walking an inch above the floor when walking near a mountain..... http://www.larian.com/forums/images/icons/default/thumbs_down.gif

Inivisible walls
whats wrong with them ?
many games have them

I agree about archers

If Oblivion is good RPG to you
than you really didnt play lot of RPGs smile
Oblivion story,leveling system,NPCs,voice acting,World emptiness and many more things made that game worst RPG I have ever played
but its still on my top list
caouse its my first RPG smile

ENGLISH GRAMMAR IS MY WEAK SIDE
apprentice
apprentice
just tryed ego draconis for 2days:result...worst rpg ever played,[i]full of invisible walls[/i], Not sure about that mate, in fact even if you found a couple.WHO CARES??! The fact that I can virtually skydive, no fall death..means countless ways I can escape a situation/high level towers, and pretty much go anywhere I can jump to..
no use being an archer cause you can't shoot enemies until the life points are visible but enemies shoot you from any distance,..So the fact that a boss level MoB(most likely the beholders in the goblin encampment outside of the village)..may have a minuscule advantage, or maybe you don't run straight into MoBs??
the creatures you summon are slow and dumb as a shoe (keep shooting in crates or walls rather than shoot your enemies,) ..well for starters the creature is fodder/meatshield..If you don'tlike his target choices at range..change him to Melee. If I read correctly you said you were going with Archer..last time I checked , the the fodder should go to the MoB and grab his attention, not hang out by my hero doing nothing. just a thought.
i end up walking an inch above the floor when walking near a mountain
..not even worth my time.

happy hunting rpg008

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Drachehexe
"Best game ever."

Lol, nice try. I own and completed Mass Effect 2. It's a shooter, not an RPG. frown

My Favorite RPGs: Divinity franchise, Gothic franchise (including Arcania, so I think I'm alone...), Venetica, Risen, Two Worlds II, The Witcher, Sacred franchise, Fallout franchise, Mass Effect 1, Alpha Protocol, Planescape: Torment, Drakensang, KOTOR 1 & 2, etc.
D
stranger
stranger
D
Originally Posted by Drachehexe
"Best game ever."

Lol, nice try. I own and completed Mass Effect 2. It's a shooter, not an RPG. frown

You said BEST GAME EVER, not BEST RPG ever so the LOL is at your ignorance. God you can't even pay attention to the own words you use. I can't read what few brain cells you have to know you meant BEST RPG EVER (tho even then it isn't the best RPG ever either).

And ME and ME2 could fall into the same Action/RPG class. You play a role, you have stats you can increase and upgrade. You have various weapons and combat strategies to take out you foes. You have quests, dialogues, interact with a multitude of NPC's. I would actually say I got a better experience of RPG gameplay from ME2

But I disagree it's the best ever at anything, however it isn't the worst either. It just need it's combat balanced out and a few othe rissues and it would be 6 out of 10.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by melianos
Funny considering oblivion is said to suck without heavy modding.

Oblivion sucks even with mods. Most overrated game in history. Only casuals/noobs and console gamers like it (which, unfortunately is the vast majority).

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by AlaCarcuss
Oblivion sucks even with mods. Most overrated game in history. Only casuals/noobs and console gamers like it (which, unfortunately is the vast majority).

I rather enjoyed it, but each to their own.

J'aime le fromage.
journeyman
journeyman
Yup...bingo on the useless archer/mage class. Never had such a crappy cooldown system. Like a level1 heal spell would need a cooldown for a level 20+ wizard. Some of the spells actually increase in cooldown. That's just not right.

But the bit you mentioned about worthless archer -- same with many magic missle attacks. You can't shoot even though you can see the target -- but game prevents you -- this is very non-real life.

Instead, you have to wait until you get closer -- then they attack you and you still can't shoot back! That's just stupid! So then I have to walk much closer until the light comes on -- then I can attack.

Another problem -- my summoned monsters (2 of em) will be attacking creatures from behind me that are in front of me, yet they are out of range of me. My magic missle is supposed to 'seek' enemies -- again -- my summoned creatures can be fighting, but I'm not allowed to fire. Very lame.

I nearly always play magic users in DND type games. This is the first game I was force to play fighter, cuz the magic is worthless. Mana was never an issue because cooldowns would prevent me from even denting it.

The only game that's worse on 'cooldowns' was sacred2 (which crashes ALOT on Win7, because they claim win7 is so buggy. HA!, everyone else says win7 is better than vista, cept sacred2 devs -- problem is their DRM doesn't function under win7 -- is disabled for 'causing OS instability' (it seems pretty stable under XP though). Cooldowns in sacred2 increase all the way up to level 200 -- most spells become useless after about level 50. Tried to play a magic user there -- nogo. Paladin(seraphim) was ok though -- as they could exist on passive (buffs), and fighting and some 1-shot spells that deal massive damage in a large radius -- usually enough to kill most creatures outright.

For some reason seems like this is the 2nd game that's decided to severely penalize magic users with long cooldowns.

You are expected to play as primarily a fighter -- with all else being 2ndary. At least that's how the game is setup -- arrows don't do near enough damage -- I've had to use well over 10-15 arrows to take down a skeleton, and that's with a bow that does over 100+/shot -- vs. My dual wield ability @+13, gives me +120/+120 per weapon, or about 900-1200/swing. Don't see any similar ability for arrows -- especially, as you note,
the monsters can fire upon you a fair amount before you can fire on them.

I suspect it's something to to do with the ranger 'sneak' ability where they can get closer before I detect them -- that's fine if I'm not staring at them. But it's also connected to their fireball and magic ability. So I have to carry a bow, and use that ability to get the same bonus, and switch to swords when I'm overwhelmed? I don't usually travel in packs of 6-8 like many groups of monsters I meet -- so I'm forced into melee, while they can stay separated and use archer abilities.

There are ways that fighters are overly strong, perhaps to compensate for some of these problems, but it really makes the other classes difficult to specialize in.

Astara #431738 14/12/10 10:34 AM
veteran
veteran
Strange ... I find Melee combat more difficult in this game than using magic or a ranger !

Magic Blast is very fast and strong spell that used more mana than Magic Missile, so it is possible to make my manapool empty by using spells.

And there's more than only normal arrows to use wink : poison arrows, explosive arrows, stun arrows, ... so have you ever try explosive arrows ?

Have you ever try (playing a mage) Magic Missile or blast + Confusion (passive skill) + Destruction(passive skill) ?
Playing a mage is fun and also possible to become a powerfull mage (my opinion).

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
Astara #431753 14/12/10 11:24 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Astara
The only game that's worse on 'cooldowns' was sacred2 (which crashes ALOT on Win7, because they claim win7 is so buggy. HA!, everyone else says win7 is better than vista, cept sacred2 devs -- problem is their DRM doesn't function under win7 -- is disabled for 'causing OS instability' (it seems pretty stable under XP though). Cooldowns in sacred2 increase all the way up to level 200 -- most spells become useless after about level 50. Tried to play a magic user there -- nogo. Paladin(seraphim) was ok though -- as they could exist on passive (buffs), and fighting and some 1-shot spells that deal massive damage in a large radius -- usually enough to kill most creatures outright.

You must have made some bad skill choices. Which magic-user character have you played? With the right skills, the High Elf (mage) in Sacred 2 is very powerful. Of course, it's also a tactical decision how many runes you use. Using too many for spells you want to cast often is a bad idea, that's true. On the other hand, there are several ways to decrease cooldowns: Stamina and Concentration, equipment, sockets, potions. And using runes isn't the only way to increase spell damage.

I haven't played div2 yet, so I can't tell how difficult it is to play a mage or archer, but in the forums, I've read several times that people found it easy enough or even too easy. Maybe you're using the wrong skills?

Astara #431781 14/12/10 02:43 PM
M
addict
addict
M
Originally Posted by Astara
Yup...bingo on the useless archer/mage class. Never had such a crappy cooldown system. Like a level1 heal spell would need a cooldown for a level 20+ wizard. Some of the spells actually increase in cooldown. That's just not right.

I'm thinking you are making something not right. Fighter is much more difficult to play than Mage or Archer, from the very first levels.

At normal difficulty level, Ranger and Mage type make the game very easy in my opinion.

R
stranger
stranger
R

1. the invisible walls are either map glitches ( some of witch include holes in witch u can fall through. i know because i have fallen through the map.) or they're there to keep u from ascending mountain face.
2. that happens to be a glitch so don't slam a good game for some thing as stupid as that.
3. the creature AI is Stupid so i don't use it. im a warrior build with heavy melee and ranged resists with my skills focusing on potion efficiency( witch helps a lot in overwhelming situations.) life leech (so useful when ur surrounded by 30 guys.) Evade (so i get hit less) and dual wielding (the best passive AOE) i went with a strength and vitality build.

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard