Print Thread
F
Falaris Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
F
Thanks!

It was a wild and wonderful ride. The artwork, imagery, music, and overall design made this game quite an experience. I loved how you played as a dragon at times, while the world itself was fascinating and fun.

And I really, really got pissed off at the first game's ending, and of course told Behleren to get lost. smile

If anyone has the name of the song played outside Gula's house in Aleroth, I'd love that.

There were a few things I was less happy about, but ... heck, I'll save that for another time. Or not. Okay. 1: The +100 damage enchantments made the actual weapon stats nearly irrelevant. Improve the base weapons instead and skip those enhancements. 2: Too many close range damage enchantmnents / retribution stuff. 3: No companions, no romance, nothing interpersonal. There are virtually no books or movies without that, it should belong in RPG's as well. 4: Shift (or ctrl) clicking things in inventory should move to fortress / move to chest all of that type.

Such niggles aside, according to steam I've put 182 hours into the game. That I'm willing to spend that much time in the world you've created should be a fairly concrete example of how much I like your work here. Again, thanks, and looking forward to whatever you create next! smile

Regards,
Me

D
stranger
stranger
D
Originally Posted by Falaris
Thanks!

It was a wild and wonderful ride. The artwork, imagery, music, and overall design made this game quite an experience. I loved how you played as a dragon at times, while the world itself was fascinating and fun.

And I really, really got pissed off at the first game's ending, and of course told Behleren to get lost. smile

If anyone has the name of the song played outside Gula's house in Aleroth, I'd love that.

There were a few things I was less happy about, but ... heck, I'll save that for another time. Or not. Okay. 1: The +100 damage enchantments made the actual weapon stats nearly irrelevant. Improve the base weapons instead and skip those enhancements. 2: Too many close range damage enchantmnents / retribution stuff. 3: No companions, no romance, nothing interpersonal. There are virtually no books or movies without that, it should belong in RPG's as well. 4: Shift (or ctrl) clicking things in inventory should move to fortress / move to chest all of that type.

Such niggles aside, according to steam I've put 182 hours into the game. That I'm willing to spend that much time in the world you've created should be a fairly concrete example of how much I like your work here. Again, thanks, and looking forward to whatever you create next! smile

Regards,
Me

Agreed with most of what you said, except 3: Romances do not BELONG in a rpg. Romances BELONG in real life. And you have can have multiple companions. Your creature + summoned monsters. That's more than enough.

Please don't try to make this game into Dragon age or some other pop culture rpg. The game does everything right as it is

Last edited by Dk Slayer; 28/11/10 10:16 AM.
S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Well relationships or relational interaction, and not necessarily romance, i think, belongs in RPGs. rpg's are better when they arent all about combat skill, although i like action rpgs as well.

Can a mother forget the baby at her breast and have no compassion on the child she has borne? Though she may forget, I will not forget you. See, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands... - Isaiah 49:15-16
veteran
veteran
Romances aren't mandatory for an RPG.

There are different styles of RPG's, and this is an action RPG which lets you have a custom name, face, gender, and a choose-your-own-personality. Good romances are hard to write as it is, and when there are so many options given to the player, it's much harder. This game doesn't even recognize the difference between male and female slayers until the Playhouse quest, so some of the optional dialogue with female characters always comes off as flirty regardless of what your gender is!

Companions also aren't mandatory for an RPG, especially an action RPG. This game also is not good for companions because you turn into a dragon by rushing and leaping off of cliffs, so how would a companion follow?

The weapon enchantments will be patched soon, though.

stranger
stranger
I just finish the game, with all quest find almost all sets of armor,level46-47 .this game is a masterpice ,everthing is briliant:story,music,itms,characters .I whant more....and the final is:HUHA
My impresions:LUCIAN a true hero,Zandalor a wise ruler,Rhode aone hell woman(sad end for her frown , just love her taroo and scar),Bellegar a funny guy hahaha hahaha, one word:EPIC
Now I am very SAD, PLEASE RELEASE DIVINITY 3 grin.I HAVE UNFINISH BUISSNIS (DAMIAN THE BOLD ONE hahaha )IN THE END I SAID ONE THING:''Don't worry... He'll be back''
Sorry for my english. love u all from ROMANIA

stranger
stranger
this game is a masterpice ,everthing is briliant:story,music,itms,characters .I whant more

Same here.
I complete DKS on X-Box 360 and now want to buy Steam-version of the game. It will be interesting compare 360 and PC-versions DKS.
Thanks Larian for such amazing game. I am old-school RPG-Gamer and run through many of them, but your game is just a magic. Wait for D3!

Last edited by DragonChevalier; 01/12/10 12:28 PM.

Amazing RPG. Just buy it.
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Dk Slayer
Originally Posted by Falaris
Thanks!

Regards,
Me

Agreed with most of what you said, except 3: Romances do not BELONG in a rpg. Romances BELONG in real life. And you have can have multiple companions. Your creature + summoned monsters. That's more than enough.

Please don't try to make this game into Dragon age or some other pop culture rpg. The game does everything right as it is

he is probably referring to RPG in whole. If romance doesn't belong in your world of RPGs it belongs in others. He probably played Dragon Age Origins so have I and I have to agree 100% with everyone who says that this game has absolutely no attachments or any kind of relationships with anyone. Without feelings RPG feels dull. RPG is not only about running around the pretty world and killing mobs or doing some other quests. Real RPG is where your companions (if you have them) and the world around you lives and breather on its own. Which means people have their feelings, emotions, addictions etc.

So yes, emotions and romance DO BELONG in a really good RPG. It doesn't mean that you should be able to sleep with every woman you see. But it also doesn't mean that every woman has to be just a set of moving pixels who says YES or NO while answering your questions.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Dragomist
he is probably referring to RPG in whole. If romance doesn't belong in your world of RPGs it belongs in others. He probably played Dragon Age Origins so have I and I have to agree 100% with everyone who says that this game has absolutely no attachments or any kind of relationships with anyone. Without feelings RPG feels dull. RPG is not only about running around the pretty world and killing mobs or doing some other quests. Real RPG is where your companions (if you have them) and the world around you lives and breather on its own. Which means people have their feelings, emotions, addictions etc.

So yes, emotions and romance DO BELONG in a really good RPG. It doesn't mean that you should be able to sleep with every woman you see. But it also doesn't mean that every woman has to be just a set of moving pixels who says YES or NO while answering your questions.

I think I have to agree with this (I think!) A lot of the "why romance in RPGs is a bad thing" seems to reference the Bioware games (I disagree with the premise, but anyway) but for a different angle, look at The Witcher: that also has its romantic/flirty/whatever elements but it seems there are few people who say that it's a bad RPG as a result.

I guess it's one of those things where I think there should be an element of it: but something optional where players can take it or leave it, so it's not missing for those who want it but also not compulsory for those who would prefer to avoid it.

Last edited by Vometia; 01/12/10 04:38 PM.

J'aime le fromage.

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard