Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
apprentice
apprentice
Rain Koor -

1. several of the regular posters have Windows 7 (including myself)...
nobody else has mentioned 'color scheme has been changed to windows basic'...
i do not think that is normal behavior for patch.

2. with Windows 7 it is important to uncheck 'user interface in desktop resolution'...
you can find this in the menu options under the graphics tab (in the FAQ)
(leaving that box checked can reliably cause most resolutions to be blank screens)

div2s
Larian Studios FTW!!!

"be honest... both with others and yourself"
R
apprentice
apprentice
R
Originally Posted by brandon2u

1. several of the regular posters have Windows 7 (including myself)...
nobody else has mentioned 'color scheme has been changed to windows basic'...
i do not think that is normal behavior for patch.

Well, the message started to appear only after installing the patch. I haven't fiddled with any compatibility settings myself, that's certain.
Originally Posted by brandon2u

2. with Windows 7 it is important to uncheck 'user interface in desktop resolution'...
you can find this in the menu options under the graphics tab (in the FAQ)
(leaving that box checked can reliably cause most resolutions to be blank screens)

Right. That indeed fixed it. Now no resolutions display black screen and resolutions actually work correctly, the graphics are crisp again after selecting my lcd-s native resolution. I don't remember altering that setting before the patch though, must have defaulted to on with the new patch.

Something is still very fishy here however. Graphics are now fine, but at widescreen resolutions everything looks horribly stretched and characters look fat. What could be the issue? Did the patch mess with the FOV?

old hand
old hand
Rain Koor: could you please run the tool and send us a report if you already haven't?

http://www.larian.com/hotfixes/supporttool/LPC_Divinity2.exe

And can you make a screenshot of the stretched characters?

You may send the report to support at larian dot com and ask them to forward it to Alex and David.

Tweeting @forktong
ava Offline
Originally Posted by Rain Koor

Right. That indeed fixed it. Now no resolutions display black screen and resolutions actually work correctly, the graphics are crisp again after selecting my lcd-s native resolution. I don't remember altering that setting before the patch though, must have defaulted to on with the new patch.

Something is still very fishy here however. Graphics are now fine, but at widescreen resolutions everything looks horribly stretched and characters look fat. What could be the issue? Did the patch mess with the FOV?

That's because something is wrong with the aspect ratio. It's not really a bug, but rather a setting of your display. Can you send us a report made with the support tool? Then I should be able to guide you to the correct setting.

edit: ForkThong was a bit faster than me smile

Last edited by ava; 03/12/10 09:48 AM.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.
Douglas Adams
R
apprentice
apprentice
R
Right. I sent an email to the support with 3 resized screenshots from the default version of the DKS and 3 resized screenshots after the latest patch. I also included the report.xml from the support tool. Screenshots were originally 1920*1080, but i resized them by half to keep email size reasonable. The issue should still be visible though.

Edit: I think i have solved my issue. Turns out, that a custom 4:3 resolution (1440*1080) i had made in the Nvidia control panel fooled the game into thinking it has to run at that exact resolution regardless of the fact, that i had selected 1920*1080 in the menu. After deleting the resolution in the Nvidia cp the game looks normal.

Edit2: Yep, that's it. I tried creating the resolution again, and i can reproduce this. When there is no custom resolution in the Nvidia control panel, the game looks normal, but as soon as i make 1440*1080, the game looks stretched.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
I'm also having the 'color scheme has been changed to windows basic' problem on Win7 with a Nvidia 8800 GTs,after installing the patch. The error meaasge says, "you are running a program not compatible with certain visual elements of windows".

I have unchecked the 'user interface in desktop resolution' box but it did no good.

The game works fine and there are no problems with the graphics that I have noticed.

Win7 goes back to normal settings when I exit the game.

Last edited by Lostsheep; 03/12/10 12:27 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Rain Koor -

much gratitude for posting back with results wink

question, after resolving the 'custom' aspect ratio...
did that also remove the 'windows basic color scheme' message?

"be honest... both with others and yourself"
R
apprentice
apprentice
R
No. That was never the crux of my issue though, so i can live with that.

ava Offline
Originally Posted by Lostsheep
I'm also having the 'color scheme has been changed to windows basic' problem on Win7 with a Nvidia 8800 GTs,after installing the patch. The error meaasge says, "you are running a program not compatible with certain visual elements of windows".

I have unchecked the 'user interface in desktop resolution' box but it did no good.

The game works fine and there are no problems with the graphics that I have noticed.

Win7 goes back to normal settings when I exit the game.

That's all by design, the black screen issues were caused by Aero, so we disable it when the game starts. You can disable windows 7 issuing these messages though. Right click in the task tray, choose 'Customize notification icons' and disable the messages of the desktop window manager.

Douglas Adams
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Ok,thanks for that ava.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Any update on steam patch since it looks like the big nasties are solved?

U
stranger
stranger
U
Yes a heads up on when the patch is released for the steam version would be awesome. Steam doesn't always seem to notify about a patch.

D
stranger
stranger
D
Hi , I have two questions.

1.)Is the patch safe to use now?

I don't want my game to be all screwed up. I just bought it from the store near my home yesterday.

I'm using Windows Vista 64 bit, with a NVIDIA graphic card.

2.)Will anti-aliasing work now? Can't seem to get it to work, even when i force it through the NVIDIA control panel.

ava Offline
1/ Yes, as far as I can tell.
2/ No

Douglas Adams
P
apprentice
apprentice
P
The FOV is screwed up for me after this patch, and it was fine before...

my post on it:

http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=430349#Post430349

R
apprentice
apprentice
R
Have you got an Nvidia card and have you made any custom 4:3 resolutions? My FOV also seemed screwed up until i removed a custom resolution i had made for some games, that don't play nice with widescreen through Nvidia control panel. The most puzzling thing about the whole issue was, i never applied the resolution to DKS or even my desktop during the time i tried to play the game and encountered the problem.

journeyman
journeyman
Hello. Enjoying the game very much, but I just want to report in on the patch issue.

I am having the exact same problem as Rain Koor. It seems Divinity is taking a custom resolution I have made for my 720 flatscreen T.V. and is making it the default in-game resolution, as long as my T.V. is connected to the P.C. As soon as I unplug it and load Divinity, it works fine. So the conflict is only there when the second monitor is plugged in. However, the monitor doesn't have to be active, only plugged in.

I am using Windows XP, but a Nvida graphics card as well.

Edit: Update, I am also getting the scrambled graphics. I didn't notice until just now, because I had not logged in since figuring out what was causing the resolution to be stuck at the custom size.

I will uninstall and reinstall then re-patch and report back, however I need to re-download the game because I deleted my install files thinking I wouldn't need them. Oops, haha.

(If it matters, I had not previously applied any patches or hotfixes since my installation until downloading the one you just released.)

Edit: Second update. I just got everything reinstalled. I did the base installation, and then followed it up with the patch right away before launching the game at all. The cut-scene movies work, the menus work, the in-game graphics are still scrambled though. I tried it on both new games, and previous saves.

I have not plugged my second display back in to see if the resolution issue with two monitors is fixed. It doesn't really matter at the moment since the game in unplayable with the patch anyway. Having to unplug the secondary display is a rather small issue. I will wait for some feedback on the scrambled graphics and go from there.

Good night. smile

Last edited by Ailurophile; 04/12/10 11:53 AM. Reason: Addendum.
D
stranger
stranger
D
My game got screwed up after the patch.

whenever I enter a building and exit it, my whole game will be very lagged up, and i take 1 minute to move a step, and 2 minutes for the minute to load when i press ESC. It has got nothing to do with my graphic settings, as it was fine before the patch.

So i uninstalled the game to get rid of the patch, and reinstalled, and go in the game, and viola, I don't have that problem anymore, it is very smooth now, and i did not even touch any graphic settings the whole time.

It is definitely the patch.

Last edited by Dharma; 04/12/10 08:27 AM.
P
apprentice
apprentice
P
Originally Posted by Rain Koor
Have you got an Nvidia card and have you made any custom 4:3 resolutions? My FOV also seemed screwed up until i removed a custom resolution i had made for some games, that don't play nice with widescreen through Nvidia control panel. The most puzzling thing about the whole issue was, i never applied the resolution to DKS or even my desktop during the time i tried to play the game and encountered the problem.

I do have nvidia (gtx 280) but I do not have any custom resolutions, and I have only one monitor. I use 1920*1200 everywhere.
And since the patch, FOV is screwed up.

Hopefully Larian folks will be able to fix it soon.

ava Offline
In the graphics options, uncheck 'User Interface In Desktop-Resolution', see if that helps.

Douglas Adams
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard