Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#431299 10/12/10 04:30 AM
Shaver Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
How do you guys name your characters? What criteria and resources do you use?
I usually search the web for Greek, Roman and Norse mythological characters to choose one that fits the game lore. I did make an exception for this particular game tho: I stole the name from another wellknown game (sorry Bliz). My character is a sexy red head named Alexstrazza kiss

I'd like to close by quoting Bellegar's famous last rhyme:

"Cursed be the mother that bred thee!
The wench must have been a hell-spawned banshee!"
E
journeyman
journeyman
E
In singleplayer games I don't get fancy. Male characters tend to get my name, and female characters the name of a friend or family member. If the game allows multiple characters chosen from a roster then I get inventive.

In multiplayer games, I use all manner of name sites to try to find something that fits my character and/or their racial/cultural background. Not to mention finding a name that isn't taken. smile

stranger
stranger
What I tend to do is either use a random name generator based on a certain topic or I think of names best suited for the character's appearance. I made one exception for any Bethesda games as i will have so many characters or saves I name my characters things like "new, newer, newest." Or sometimes thief, main, etc.

Some call me a hero, others call me a traiter. I am neither, I am God.
Duchess of Gorgombert
Online Sleepy
Duchess of Gorgombert
Female characters get "Vometia", male characters get "Dave", pretty much regardless of the game. One could argue that I'm not really getting into the spirit of things. grin

What's trickier is writing game mods which really do require less laziness. Sometimes I use name generators, other times I pick over pages of lore until I find something "just right", though the time spent largely depends on my mood and overall state of fussiness at the time.

J'aime le fromage.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I called my female character Melusine. I juste couldn't find a better name for a lizard-girl ^^

"The Frenglais does déjà exist. Many gens are parling this langue" Barta

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard