Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#431605 13/12/10 08:28 AM
J
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
J
Hello developers and fans of Dragon Knight Saga.

Just saying this game would be an instant buy on Steam for me if it didn't come loaded with SecuROM - and I know I'm not the only one that feels this way.

I'm just sad that I'll probably never get to experience the game.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
They've indicated that it may be removed at some point in the (not too distant) future...

J'aime le fromage.
vometia #431635 13/12/10 03:49 PM
K
journeyman
journeyman
K
So, when spewrom is removed, do we patch the game immediately after install before we play it to get rid of it?

enthusiast
enthusiast
If you get it through Steam, I would assume you could go straight to downloading the SecuROM-less version if it is not already installed.

Gwenio #431683 13/12/10 11:02 PM
K
journeyman
journeyman
K
Bought it from Larians site.

How would it work mods, and would we need to redownload ?

Oh, and could you please remove Spewrom yesterday ?

Ta in advance.

apprentice
apprentice
In the past it was a patch that got rid of Securom. So, you would download a patch and patch your game to get rid of Securom.

eisberg #431897 15/12/10 04:18 PM
369 Offline
journeyman
journeyman
I've already posted a thread about this, but I can't find the thread anymore...weird!

My understanding is that even if you use a patch to get rid of SecuCRAP at a later date, there is still remnants of it hanging around in the register and at the base level of your os.

I would get the Steam version after the patch because you would then only download the non-SecuCRAP version.

(Of course, Kein will be along in a minute to inform me that everything I have written above is entirely wrong and inaccurate!)

EDIT: I think that you can download a proper SecuROM removal tool from their website, which would probably be more reliable than a patched uninstall...although Kein will probably tell me I'm wrong about that as well...

Last edited by 369; 15/12/10 04:22 PM.
369 #431903 15/12/10 05:05 PM
veteran
veteran
My understanding is that even if you use a patch to get rid of SecuCRAP at a later date, there is still remnants of it hanging around in the register and at the base level of your os.

You're correct. Same applies for EVERY other program.

I would get the Steam version after the patch because you would then only download the non-SecuCRAP version.

You're wrong... patch is out already and it still has secuROM.
Surprise.

EDIT: I think that you can download a proper SecuROM removal tool from their website, which would probably be more reliable than a patched uninstall...although Kein will probably tell me I'm wrong about that as well...

What is "patched uninstall" and why should I comment sumtin here?

Kein #431923 15/12/10 10:01 PM
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Kein

You're wrong... patch is out already and it still has secuROM.
Surprise.

They were referring to a patch not yet released.

What is "patched uninstall"

A "patched uninstall" would, basically, mean that a patch would uninstall that instance of SecuROM.

Dwagginz #431924 15/12/10 10:05 PM
veteran
veteran

SENSE. Please make some.
Who is "they"? I was answering to the 369's assumptions about the patch. The only patch that out is patch1 and it's on the support page. There was no info about next patch.

Kein #431926 15/12/10 10:25 PM
O
apprentice
apprentice
O
Personally I've never had a problem with the SecuRom software.
I have a program that deletes any remnant SecuRom files after game uninstallition.
I also reformat 2X a year my gaming SSD 120g drive...so that pretty much sanitizes any left over crude.

I do agree it is not needed.

At least it's not StarForce...ughh.

Can't wait for the patch though.

People say I'm crazy..but the voices in my head say I'm just fine.
Kein #431936 16/12/10 12:06 AM
369 Offline
journeyman
journeyman

SENSE. Please make some.
Who is "they"? I was answering to the 369's assumptions about the patch. The only patch that out is patch1 and it's on the support page. There was no info about next patch.

In my original post, I was referring to another user (eisberg)...who posted that a patch would eventually be released that would remove SecuROM, it is this hypothetical future patch that I was talking about.

...by the way, you are so predictable... grin

Last edited by 369; 16/12/10 12:36 AM.
369 #432986 25/12/10 03:33 PM
L
stranger
stranger
L
I was ready to buy DKS from steam, but then I saw the SecuROM "feature". So I prefer to wait until some patch that removes securom is released first. I hope this will be soon - till then 1 buyer less.

veteran
veteran
It will be removed after 3-4 years (as with DD). If you really want to wait so much...

Kein #433117 27/12/10 02:40 AM
stranger
stranger
Count another buyer out for the game solely on Securom. Like with Neverwinter Nights 2 the day the DRM is patched out I will buy it but not before.

apprentice
apprentice
I'm confused... why would there be a DRM in the code... when Steam itself... is a DRM?

Kensei #433610 31/12/10 08:46 PM
veteran
veteran
Larian didn't want to be bothered learning Steam API since they were bbf with secuROM already.

Kein #433654 01/01/11 01:15 AM
D
stranger
stranger
D
Bought the game and loving it.

Even if it has Securom. frown

DTKT #433690 01/01/11 02:07 PM
addict
addict
I really do not like when a Steam version of a game comes w/ additional DRM such as Tages Internet DRM, Securom DRM, etc - especially if they also contain install limits.

Steamworks DRM itself is enough for any Steam version of a game.

MysterD #433712 01/01/11 07:15 PM
stranger
stranger
Well, the game is on sale on Steam now, but I and many with me will not buy this game because of Securom. This is because of the following:

1. I have choosen Steam as an acceptable DRM layer because it brings me features that I want - community services, I don´t have to use disc checks, the download services, library featues, etc. By accepting that I have to run the games from the client and my account, I feel that I have done enough from my part. Additional DRM should not be required.
2. Steam games should never come with limited activations, since the features of Steam encourages wast librarys of games and installing/reinstalling on multiple computers. That is the nature of Steam.
3. Securom is know for being a source of technical problems, and it does that without bring any benefits to the customer such as those Steam brings. The latest known programs it conflicts with is D3DOverdriver and the IE9 beta. And since Securom is software that is of no value for us end customers, it´s easy to know which program that should go away.

As of now, I will spend my money on games by developers that focuses on their paying customers and encouraing purchases, instead of letting them pay for the crimes of others. Two layers of DRM is to much.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard