Next Thread
Print Thread
#434095 04/01/11 05:16 AM
T
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
T
My quicksaves on average take around 10 seconds (sometimes more) to complete and I was wondering if this was normal. In games like these I generally quicksave quite often (I have a habit of just keeping my finger on the F5 key). Is this the general experience amongst people here, or is there some way to speed up the saving process? Thanks!

Just a note, my computer is quite up to date so I don't think it is a hardware issue.

Last edited by Telemachus; 04/01/11 05:16 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I agree with you. I noticed the same thing. Q-saves are not that quick. What puzzles me is it's considerably longer in DKS. Once you make it to FoV, the save times are quite shorter and reasonable. I just went and looked at my save files. I'm in the middle of DKS right now (yeah, for the umpteenth time) and they're around 2.6 meg, whereas my saves just before the endgame of FoV are around 1.6 megs. It must have been saving the whole world which is larger in DKS than in FoV.

I'd like to close by quoting Bellegar's famous last rhyme:

"Cursed be the mother that bred thee!
The wench must have been a hell-spawned banshee!"
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
They're not fast, but usually only take about 3-4 seconds for me. I'm using a 4 disk RAID 0, but they're just ordinary 7200RPM disks, no SSDs or anything.

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Originally Posted by Trippy
They're not fast, but usually only take about 3-4 seconds for me. I'm using a 4 disk RAID 0, but they're just ordinary 7200RPM disks, no SSDs or anything.

Can I just say ":o"? But I'm biased having been plagued by disc-related disasters in the past! I won't use anything with no data redundancy these days. Shame that didn't save me from a PSU failing yesterday, though. ouch

Er anyway, /OT and all that.

J'aime le fromage.
T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by Vometia
Can I just say ":o"? But I'm biased having been plagued by disc-related disasters in the past! I won't use anything with no data redundancy these days. Shame that didn't save me from a PSU failing yesterday, though. ouch

Actually that's a good point. My RAID-0 partition is only the system drive (data is RAID-5), but I couldn't easily figure out how to change the save game location in DKS off the system drive.

I do run a weekly external backups of both partitions though - I'm also biased due to past experience. Many years ago a serious PSU failure wiped out my internal disks; and when I say "serious", I'm talking about visible flames! I ended up blowing over $3,000 for a data-forensics lab to recover the essential files.

Sorry also for the OT - might start a new thread to see if I can change the location of my savegames wink

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
Just continuing the OT a little further, I'd like to say how impressed I am that flames were involved! Mine was unspectacular: it was working, I wandered off to do some household chores (I think I see the problem right there!) and when I came back half an hour later it was as dead as dead can be. But a definite lack of anything looking singed, fortunately. I think I'd be upset if that happened to my server: maybe some actual backups might be an idea rather than just having multiple copies...

As for saves, I normally just leave them in their default location and run a script to back up any new ones to a network drive typically once a day, depending on how paranoid I'm feeling...

J'aime le fromage.
enthusiast
enthusiast
I had a Raid 0 failure also. I'm on Raid 1 ever since. Mine didn't involve flames either but that smell... sheeesh! I thought I'd never get it out of the curtains.

Oh well, better run before the Russian OT monster catches me oops

S
stranger
stranger
S
Regarding the quicksave "issue", I made quite an observation yesterday which leads me to believe that it could somehow be related to the copy protection of the physical disc. I bought myself the german DVD version of DKS and also noticed that quicksaves take quite some time (~5 seconds) before they're actually done saving. Still, in ~25 hours it never bothered me or anything.

Out of laziness reasons I decided to replace the original exe with a no-dvd one yesterday and was surprised to also notice that quicksaving my game now only takes about a split second until it's done. I know, this is probably not the place to discuss these evil things, which I really didn't intend to be doing, but still I thought it could be useful to some other guys who'd like to give it a go if they're toooo bothered by it.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Interesting. In my case, since mine is a digital download, it may be going to Amazon.com to check if my bills are paid before saving my games rolleyes

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Originally Posted by Shaver
Interesting. In my case, since mine is a digital download, it may be going to Amazon.com to check if my bills are paid before saving my games

Nicely put - I think most of us are running digital downloads. But if Slochy can really save in under a second, than I'd love to know how it's done! Unless it involves a SSD RAID, in which case it's probably too expensive frown

Originally Posted by Shaver
that smell... sheeesh! I thought I'd never get it out of the curtains.

I'm sure you know a HDD failure will smell the same regardless of how much redundancy you have. Besides, you've got to love the smell of ozone in the morning wink

Originally Posted by Vometia
I'd like to say how impressed I am that flames were involved! Mine was unspectacular:

Be glad. Be very, very glad... I have no idea how it went wrong so badly, but I'm still amazed that the lab could recover my charred disk. Apparently it involved an operation in a 'clean room'.

S
stranger
stranger
S
Originally Posted by Trippy
But if Slochy can really save in under a second, than I'd love to know how it's done!

I just went around capturing a small video demonstrating it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNe7ybeH23I

edit: An no, no SSD raid here, DKS resides on a fast Samsung hdd smile

edit2: The saves are saved on an Intel Postville SSD, though. But as I said, using the original exe still took me ~5 secs to quicksave things, so this shouldn't matter at all.

Last edited by Slochy; 04/01/11 04:12 PM.
O
apprentice
apprentice
O
SSD makes little difference in gaming...game play or game save / load wise.

If I had known how little I would have never bought my 2 X 120 gb Vertex 2 SSDs and just kept on trucking with my old 7200s.

I can install Win 7 in 12 minutes though. My boot time is measured in seconds...( once you get past bios...takes longer to type in password then to boot )

There is a difference in speed...but not worth that kind of money kinda speed.

You could try deleting old saves, defragging...but the further in the game you go the more it has to save..hence the longer save and load times.

My save and load times are just a few seconds..but I'd rather have my money back on my SSDs and wait a few more seconds.

i7 920 @ 3.4
24 gig ddr 3 1600
2x5970 OCs ( 2 gig cards )
2x 120 gig SSDs
1 Tb 72000 HD
Blueray/ DVD
RAT 7 ( Wicked mouse ! )
Logitech G 13 gaming pad
24" Dell Ultra Sharp...

People say I'm crazy..but the voices in my head say I'm just fine.

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard