Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
G
GabeN Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
G
Hi. Just bought the game. It should arrive in a day or something like that.

I heard truly strange, aggravating thing (even when it was just Ego Draconis) - that this game has no Elves, Dwarves and most of the races of the Council of Seven. Is it true? Does the Dragon Knight saga fix the issue? Because, even in a small village like Aleroth there were other races. Verdistis had other races.

Many races added to the epicness of the world in DD. I loved the feel of that game... And I hope that DD2 will be similiarly good.

Also, I just talked about Aleroth, Verdistis... Will the player be able to visit some of the places from DD1? (not interested in places from BD, this game was a step back in every possible way - no freedom, worse fighting, barrels unsmashable, bad gameplay) If so, why won't there be other races?

Support
Support

There are references to elves and dwarves in books, etc, but otherwise no non-human friendly races in D2:ED or (AFAIK) DKS. You do get to meet to Patriarch again, the dragon from DD's wastelands, and the teleporter stealing imp ZizZax the Almost Wise.

You can return to Aleroth, though it has changed significantly from DD. Unfortunately no other places from DD can be visited.

In BD act 1 was a little linear, but acts 2 and 3 opened up and had a lot of freedom. Playing a warrior/archer, most of the time I had both characters selected and directed them as one, so the combat was pretty much the same as in DD. It was too bad about barrels not being breakable, though.

Welcome to the forum. wave

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
I hope that in div3 other races shall return.

Without them world of div 2 fell incoplete.

Div 2 is great crpg game in some aspects, smile

but in others it can be dissapoiting. frown

journeyman
journeyman
aren't they extinct?? rpg002

Last edited by hQ62; 15/01/11 07:01 AM.
Support
Support

From references in a couple books elves and dwarves are believed to have been wiped out, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they were. There may be some in hiding in remote areas in Rivellon, and there is a temple with rifts to other realms that some could have escaped to. Also, Damian made enemies of a race who could create rifts in his effort to return to Rivellon after being banished. They didn't fare well against the Black Ring, but the ones remaining would be inclined to help anyone else opposing them.

can someone sum up the story - DD and BD Spoilers, though main points are given in books throughout D2:ED/DKS

Divinity 3, starring the Divine One? - D2:ED Spoilers, particularly the ending (discussion from before the release of FoV)

old hand
old hand
A lot of poeple are hoping to have more of the other races in the next game. It was one major element lost from the original DD and why this game falls short in comparison of DD. But standing alone DKS is really a great game that I've played multiple times.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
veteran
veteran
I heard truly strange, aggravating thing (even when it was just Ego Draconis) - that this game has no Elves, Dwarves and most of the races of the Council of Seven.

True.

Is it true? Does the Dragon Knight saga fix the issue?

False.

The whole Div Universe is messed up since Div2 release. I wouldn't be surprised if those removed elements will come back in Div3. Apparently, those deusex-things won't make things worse than they are atm.

G
GabeN Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
G
Baaah, a shame...

Elves and Dwarves wiped out? But... why? How? I think it was mentioned in DD that in case of something bad happening, Dwarves could've easily hide in their city with golden river and nothing could get in, and food supplies weren't a problem...

Besides, how could whole races be wiped out in such a short time? Could anyone explain? Because, Zandalor is still alive, Lord Seth (according to what I heard in one story) is still alive, Divine one is... Elves weren't in a bad position either, especially since we heard about them having their own cities or something like that. Since their mere CAMP had so many people in it (compared to whole human kingdom we could see), it's easy to assume that ammount of Elves was comparable to ammount of humans.

Explanation would be highly appreciated, but I think Larian just went "bah, modelling these pointy ears and these little men with giant beards takes too much time, let's just spam humans over and over". What a shame.

Last edited by GabeN; 15/01/11 01:41 PM.
P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Hm... lets see...

from
Conversation between black ring goons in black valley we know that orcs are enslaved by black ring

So that's one race with can return in div 3.

i hope dvarves are hidden somewhere deep in their mountain halls.

so that's second race with can return in div 3.

Elves are probably hidden somewhere deep in forests(i hope).

So that's number 3

Imps are still there, so they are 4. (in div 3 maybe there will be more friendly imps - some imps village perhaps)

And lizardsmen... do somebody know what happened to them? maybe they are hidden in some swamps?

Soo... i really hope that other races will be back in div 3, and not only humans (humans,humans!!!, everywhere Humans!!! bleh!)

Support
Support

Originally Posted by GabeN
Explanation would be highly appreciated, but I think Larian just went "bah, modelling these pointy ears and these little men with giant beards takes too much time, let's just spam humans over and over". What a shame.

In-game, elves and dwarves bore the brunt of the war with the Black Ring when Damian got back to Rivellon. At least one group of elves was driven into hiding underground and eventually wiped out.

I don't think pointy ears and beards were an issue. Larian could have decided they didn't have the resources to have significant areas of other races, with differing animations, weapons, armour, character design, architecture, history, lore, inter-race quests and interaction, etc. Rather than half do something, or put in a couple token characters, they may have just focused on humans, since that area of Rivellon was predominantly human.

Then again, they could have wiped out the dwarves and elves just to reinforce how evil Damian and the Black Ring were, or how intense the war was. They could have just made a few references to other races withdrawing from the game locations, or simply not returning to rebuild after the war, etc, with little or no trade or diplomatic contact.

I
stranger
stranger
I
What about the dragon elves? Maybe there are more that did not reduce themselves to brutality and sought out knowledge like Vacca on Sentinel Island? I dont know, hopefully the elves and dwarves return in the next installment.

G
GabeN Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
G
Black Ring or not, this still has plenty of plotholes.

So, the same Black Ring that was almost destroyed and before Damian couldn't even beat Humans with the help of Orcs (not that they really intended to do it, they just wanted more chaos and suffering), somehow managed to completely destroy Elves, Dwarves, Lizardmen and other races in a few months/years? Elves with a few cities we heard about in DD, Dwarves who said that in case of any attack, they can hide forever in their city?

Also, looking at D2 DKS trailer, I noticed how dumbledorified Zandalor was. He even got glasses! I always imagined him more Gandalf-like, and his portrait in DD, behaviour, voice and harshness towards his enemies also made me think "oh! It's a bit less perfect (which is a good thing) version of Gandalf in violet robes and fancy hat!"

What about the dragon elves? Maybe there are more that did not reduce themselves to brutality and sought out knowledge like Vacca on Sentinel Island? I dont know, hopefully the elves and dwarves return in the next installment.

Dragon elves? So there ARE pointy ears in this game? Great!

Last edited by GabeN; 15/01/11 09:04 PM.
I
stranger
stranger
I
Yeah but only one of them talks to you. The rest of the race has become mindless drones for Damian.

G
GabeN Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
G
Great! If they add option to rape befriend Elves, it will be even better.

old hand
old hand
Ok the 7 races:

Trolls are here.
Imps are here.
Wizards are here (Zandalore)
Elves are hidden underground (found a book)
Dwarves are hidden underground (we assume)
Humans are here (obviously)
Orc's are enslaved, we never traveled that far east, we went west to where they were.

- The Wizard race is actually a mixture of members with wizard powers from the other 6 races.

Misc.
Lizard people um... did the Divine wipe them out from the Verdistis sewers?
Dragons... hidden
Dragon knights ... your it.
Undead/ghosts "they died, but the problem was that they didn't stay dead"
Lizard/Elf monsters were poisoned out by Damian from Sentinal Island.
Talking Trees (your just going nuts, they don't talk)
Wyverns (they fly around Damians fortresses like sea gulls around the city dump)
Goblins (new)

It seems as if we are dealing with a 2nd apocalyptic war in the DD universe. DD was many generations after the 1st one and now we are in the middle of the 2nd one. After we get to a DD type era of peace again I hope Larian makes a prequel to DD for the events that took place to remove the God of Chaos. Now that would be a freak'n insane boss battle!

Last edited by LightningLockey; 15/01/11 10:17 PM.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
Support
Support

GabeN;
So, the same Black Ring that was almost destroyed and before Damian couldn't even beat Humans with the help of Orcs

After the events of Divine Divinity, The Divine and his Paladins were kept fairly busy going after Black Ring members, so the ones defeated in DD didn't cripple the organization. Damian was only just starting to have his powers emerge when The Divine drew him to the rift temple and banished him.

somehow managed to completely destroy Elves, Dwarves, Lizardmen and other races in a few months/years?

With his powers grown, the ability to open rifts to other realms, the organization built up on Nemesis (pre-Beyond Divinity) and alliances formed with powerful demons, etc, I think his second campaign would almost have to be more successful than his first.

Elves with a few cities we heard about in DD, Dwarves who said that in case of any attack, they can hide forever in their city?

They may still be there, for all we know. There are none left in the locations we can visit in D2:ED/DKS, though, and they have not been in contact with those humans.

LightningLockey;
There were Lizard people in Rivellon in BD, so they didn't get wiped out by the Divine.

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
I wonder, how exactly goblins come to be? Were they Already in times of div 1 but offscreen, or they come to be in great war, or as byproduct of some dark magic?

stranger
stranger
Goblins are in fact a failed cross-breed of Imps and Trolls.

P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P
Really?

You aren't pulling willy on me, are you?

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by iBON3S

Oh yeah, thank you for reminding that.

Dragon Elves. Hilarious. Elves + lizards. It looks like "effeminate tree-huggers" (that a quote from DD!) got bored making love with trees and decided to switch on lizards.

I loled.

So, the same Black Ring that was almost destroyed and before Damian couldn't even beat Humans with the help of Orcs (not that they really intended to do it, they just wanted more chaos and suffering), somehow managed to completely destroy Elves, Dwarves, Lizardmen and other races in a few months/years? Elves with a few cities we heard about in DD, Dwarves who said that in case of any attack, they can hide forever in their city?

Yea lol. They wiped out few races, forced Dragons to hide, killed the Divine One, bring the world to chaos, but!
One Dragon Knight pnwd them all!
COMMON SENSE. There is a lot of it.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard