Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#437716 02/02/11 05:56 PM
OP Offline
8 years ago, when i was but just a brat, that had never heard nor played any game of the RPG genre, I stumbled upon an article, in a certain magazine that i used to purchase monthly. This article was about a certain isometric game that caught my attention and interest and after about half a years anticipation and of searching i brought home a 3 CD case labeled Divine Divinity. The game that opened the world of RPG to me, a game that i absolutely adored, a game that that has no equal in my heart.
Later followed Beyond Divinity, but i somehow didn`t like it that much.

2009, Larian Studios finished the second part of their Divinity game franchise - Ego Draconis. I was staggered by everything that the game threw at me, i loved every bit of it. But unfortunetly it didn`t reach my expectations, or rather it didn`t beat it`s predecessor - Divine Divinity, i was expecting more. Something about this game just didn`t feel right. It didn`t quite catch the atmosphere that dominated in DD.
I am very happy that the developers put so much heart into the game, but I can`t help but feel that they put a little too much of it. It`s like salt for spaghetti. Spaghetti is tasteless without salt, but too much of it will ruin the spaghetti, so you have to make it just right! Spaghetti in this case is the game and salt - humor relief.
Divine Divinity felt very dark and at times even a bit depressing, however it did have some humour here and there which balanced it all out, relieved the negative. Divnity 2, despite it trying to be serious - just isn`t. There`s too much weirdness going on, too much relief. You have to keep the gamer on his toes.
2010 and the Flames of Vengeance expansion arrived. Now this felt very serious and pretty tense at times. If i were to compare, i`d say FoV is much better than the whole ED, just that it`s quite short.. But hey, it`s an expansion, not a whole game.

Divinity 2 is an epic adventure and really fun game. Neat graphics, great music and a fantastic story.

---

I loved the game series since it was released back in 2002 and my feelings for the franchise shall not demise. I loved Divinity and i also love Divinity 2, despite it`s flaws, it`s a really good game, i just wish it was better and that there`d be more people who`d see the brilliance of the franchise.
But enough "Miss World 2011". It`s onwards to Divnity 3, i hope to see a game worthy of the RPG of the year title, or if that`s aiming too high - Atleast as My RPG of the year.

Go, go Larian Studios, make a brilliant.

Last edited by DeviRyuuD; 02/02/11 06:00 PM. Reason: added some + corrected grammar, lol

...........................::ALIVE::..........................

DeviRyuuD(Myojinoir) Reviews here
K
apprentice
apprentice
K
Bought Divine Divinity from value village/savers few days ago for an awesome $1.99 (CAN) but I have to say that I enjoyed Ego than I am Divine Divinity. That's just my opinion.
Loved both Ego and FoV, Ego obviously had much more quests and the expansion ability. FoV Had a similar taste, and honestly I got a little lost a few times due to the amount of places you have to visit within such a small amount of land.
Though one of the things I wanted to know is; as we all know LOTR's map is limited to the viewers perspective, will we see an expansive version of the Ego's and FoV map (which they are obviously correlated)?
Bring in Divinity 3 with the Ego map (FoV and battle tower included) with the 3rd person view, personally I think it's a much better view.

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard