Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
C
OP Offline
C
Well, here's the 2nd update. I am having repeated problems with the space bar. I have done the "live chat" with a HP tech's who had me update the BIOS, then run a "check" in the BIOS for a 'beep' when I use the space bar. Often no 'beep', which I reported back. They are going to send me a box to mail the computer back to them for repairs.

I'm a little frustrated, because I've not had a firmware problem with a computer before. I am not happy that I have to mail this machine back, because 1) I've taken hours to 'clean' up and set up the comp the way I want it, 2) have loaded multiple softwares (including DKS), and 3) have some very, very, very personal stuff on here :blush: Now I've got to figure out how to get rid of the personal stuff before sending it back to computer 'experts' so that they cannot access that personal stuff!

Otherwise, I like the Windows 7 OS, the wide screen (but hate that it's glossy--very reflective), the keyboard layout is a little wider spread than a typical laptop, which makes it feel more like a regular keyboard (without the clunkiness). The little bit of Ego Draconis (DKS edition) and Gothic 3 that I got to play on it was great and very beautiful looking! Doggone space bar didn't help during games, though.

Every other part of my order from HP seems to be all right, and although the techs weren't native English speakers (I'm sure British folks would say I don't speak native English, either, since I'm American!), the communication seemed to be okay-- as live chat. On the phone was a different story. The girl was nice and polite, but such a thick accent that I couldn't understand much of what she said!

So, there's an update on this HP Pavilion, dv7 Notebook, in case anyone was interested.

~~CierraShore
p.s.
I am open to information on how to get all my personal stuff off of this comp before I send it in! I will uninstall DKS so as to revoke the license so that I can retain my 3 licenses. But getting all my personal info COMPLETELY off this comp... I need help with that!

"I don't need to get a life. I'm a gamer, I have LOTS of lives!"
Support
Support

Do you still have everything on the old computer? If you were copying everything over to the new one, the easiest method to clear everything would be to re-install Windows (in the custom setup options you should be able to delete the current partition and re-create it). That will make sure nothing gets left behind. If you were moving files over to the new computer, make sure you move them all back before re-installing, if you don't otherwise have a backup.

If you just need to make sure everything you move or delete is gone, you can use a program like Eraser to securely delete files and/or wipe the un-used parts of the drive (to take care of possible fragments left from already deleted files).
Run this after re-installing Windows, and nobody would find any personal info even if they went looking for it.

There are programs that can be run from a bootable floppy, CD/DVD-R or USB drive which will wipe out the entire disk, but that would also take out the recovery partition, required to re-install Windows (though HP does have a program to let you burn a set of recovery DVDs).

C
OP Offline
C
Raze,

I already have Windows Recovery DVDs (I ordered them w/ the comp for "just in case.") Most everything is still on the old computer except for a couple of newer items/documents/files. Most of what I did put on here came from the external hard drive (which didn't pick up all my docs and music during a 'backup' of the old comp! Lots of missing gaps- I'll to do that manually, I guess).

I'm sure HP would be very upset if I wiped the recovery partition.... but I do want to protect my identity and data as much as possible. I will research the Eraser you linked here (thank you!),not only for this comp, but a few others I need to "clean up" before 'recycling' them.

It appears the program you mentioned is very straight-forward and easy to run. Guess it's time to back up this drive, and figure out how to get my old laptop back online (I screwed something up when trying to connect the computers together through the router) to access the internet-- I would go nuts without the internet!

Thank you very much for your quick reply. Instead of waiting around, maybe I'll just get this comp sent in soon as I get the box and CSO and mailing labels, and maybe I'll get the computer back before moving. Oi!

Thanks!

~~CierraShore
p.s. Must get coffee... brain not functioning.....

Last edited by CierraShore; 05/03/11 05:16 AM. Reason: corrected misspelling

C
C
Actually, do wipe the drive. They don't care. If they send you back the same machine with the same hard drive, they'll either leave it alone or re-image it. Either way you should be able to get the machine back to working with the recovery dvds.

C
OP Offline
C
Possible good news.... I may have fixed the space bar issue! I figured it wouldn't really 'hurt' to check the seating again, by using a little extra force to look under the bar. Low and behold, on the right side a 'hinge' thingy wasn't in its "socket", and that was probably what was interfering with the right side thumb strikes!

A little brain work, a letter opener (before switching to a pen-sized multi-tip, non-magnetic screw driver), and I was able to successfully pop the 'hinge' thing back into place! I've typed several paragraphs, and haven't missed a space bar strike yet! Still having spelling and grammatical errors, but that is definitely not the computer's fault!

Now I can play the comp hard while in the warranty period still, and that way if anything else pops up, I should still be good to go. This is especially good, since I'm stressed enough about moving, and this computer issue was just adding more to my already over-flowing plate!

Thank you all for the advice and support. I will still be checking out that erasure program, as I have several nearly-dead computers that I would like to thoroughly clean up before passing them on for recycling of parts or something. That bit of information is extremely useful, and something for which I have long searched to find!

This community here rocks! smile hug
headbanging

*does a little happy dance while smiling and waving to everyone* groovy

~~CierraShore

C
C
Grats! A little DIY FTW

C
OP Offline
C
FTW?

C
C

C
OP Offline
C
Ah, cool. laugh and thanks.

I'll probably have to use that link a lot. So many times I feel like people are speaking a foreign language around me!

~~CierraShore

journeyman
journeyman
Yup, just shoulda banged the keyboard against the wall...

If in doubt, SMASH IT. ouch

*** Stay put while I go search for a butterfly net. ***
C
OP Offline
C
Should I have put it in a butterfly net first? wink

I thought about drop-kicking it, but decided a more precise approach might be better. Waved my magic fingers, pulled out my magic stick (it was a staff at one time, but it's seen quite a few battles... pretty soon all I'll have left is a toothpick... then a splinter!) and said some likely "unprintable" things while I worked my magic.

The computer wasn't totally dead, so I definitely didn't dabble in necromancy. But what would I be, then? A healer, maybe? I fixed part of a skeleton by re-attaching a ligament? laugh Erm, that still makes me sound like a bad guy. Can't someone just give me some double swinging swords so I can go play?

Um... I'd better get to bed. Hope someone got a laugh out of the ramblings I just wrote.

~~CierraShore

C
OP Offline
C
Hello, to anyone who helped me three years ago, and to any newbies who might be reading this.

The HP started blue & black screening within a year of purchase. In 2013 I ended up having to revert back to my Dell Vostro1720, on which I am making this post. The power cord got broken in 2013, which would have cost $112 to replace (there wasn't a generic replacement), and I figured it'd be better to use my Dell and save up to get another awesome computer.

I will NEVER buy HP again! The printer still works, but everything else either broke or had problems.

I have just-finally-- ordered a new computer to replace the HP (so glad I kept this Dell, because it has been great as my backup!). Going with a brand I haven't heard of before, but gets high marks-- an MSI brand computer. Not only that, but it is a special edition (which means it has a red dragon cover grin ).

Here are the specs, for anyone who cares:

Learn more about the MSI GT70 Dominator Dragon-2202
Model

Brand
MSI
Series
GT Series
Model
GT70 Dominator Dragon-2202

General

Color
Dragon Edition

Operating System
Windows 8.1 64-Bit
CPU Type
Intel Core i7-4810MQ 2.7GHz
Screen
17.3"
Memory Size
12GB DDR3L
Hard Disk
1TB HDD + 128GB SSD
Optical Drive
BD-ROM
Graphics Card
NVIDIA Geforce GTX 870M
Video Memory
3GB GDDR5
Communication
Killer Gaming Network
Dimensions
16.85" x 11.34" x 2.17"
Weight
8.6lbs

CPU

CPU Type
Intel Core i7
CPU Speed
4810MQ (2.80GHz)
Number of Cores
Quad-core Processor
CPU L3 Cache
8MB

Display

Screen Size
17.3"
Wide Screen Support
Yes
Resolution
1920 x 1080
LCD Features
Non Reflection

Operating Systems

Operating System
Windows 8.1 64-Bit

Graphics

GPU/VPU
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870M
Video Memory
Dedicated 3GB
Graphic Type
Dedicated Card

Hard Drive
SSD
128GB
HDD
1TB
HDD RPM
7200RPM
HDD Spec
Super RAID (2 x 128GB SSD RAID 0) + 1TB 7200RPM

Memory

Memory
12GB
Memory Speed
DDR3L 1600
Memory Spec
8GB x 1+4GB x 1

Optical Drive

Optical Drive Type
BD-ROM

Communications

LAN
Killer Gaming Network
WLAN
Intel 7260 Wilkins Peak 2 (2x2 802.11 ac)

Bluetooth
Bluetooth 4.0

Ports

USB
3 x USB 3.0
2 x USB 2.0
Video Port
1 x VGA, 1 x mini DisplayPort
HDMI
1 x HDMI

Audio

Audio
Dynaudio Tech
Speaker
Speakers x 2 + Subwooferx1

Input Device

Touchpad
Multi Touch
Keyboard
Steel Series Gaming Backlit 102 keys
Backlit Keyboard
Backlit

Supplemental Drive

Webcam
720P HD Webcam

General

Style
Thin and Light

Type
Gaming & Entertainment

Usage
Consumer

Power

AC Adapter
180-watt AC adapter

Battery
9-cell lithium ion

Physical Specifications

Dimensions (W x D x H)
16.85" x 11.34" x 2.17"
Weight
8.6lbs

Features

Package Content
MSI BackPack included

Newegg

C
OP Offline
C
Ha!
It was enjoyable re-reading this, now in June of 2017!

I'm still using my MSI and have loved it. Had problems with the internal Blu-Ray player, but was too sick to do the whole warranty thing, so I bought an external drive. I have dropped this laptop on more than one occasion, and it has suffered only some superficial damage. Speakers still work well, all the keys work without problems (this time I've used a keyboard cover) and most of the USB drives work fine. I love the turbo fan for this, as well as the short-cut keys. It's been a good computer, and I hope will continue to last me for a while.

Re-reading this has helped me come to a decision, as I have been thinking (again) of getting a new computer. I can keep this MSI for gaming and watching movies, and get a smaller one for internet browsing and writing and whatnot. My non-tech Hubby has two laptops and a tablet and an old cell phone; I have this MSI laptop (and my Dell Vostro 1720 as back up still) and a 1-2 year old smart phone. That picture just doesn't seem to be right!

This online community is the best! hug div2s

~~CierraShore biggrin

Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I think you could probably obtain a more optimally balanced division of the family gadgets by stealing one of his laptops. If he's non-techie he probably won't notice anyway. biggrin

I also use a separate computer for interwebbing and general office stuff on the basis that it's smaller and quieter and makes my lair a lot less hot than the gaming rig.

J'aime le fromage.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard