Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I can definitely say that this game kind of came out of nowhere for me. I knew nothing about it before I saw it pop up on the main menu on steam. Since I am a sucker for rpgs, I figured I'd take a stab at the demo. I played it, but it didn't really seem all that special to me and I was really turned off by the graphics (lack of AA), but I saw it had some potential. Steam holiday sale comes up, so I figure I'd pick it up and get to it at some point. 75-80 hours later (for both the main game and FoV) and I can say this is probably my sleeper hit of the year.

I mentioned above that I had an issue with the graphics. Well, not the graphics themselves, because the textures are pretty good, and there is a lot of detail altogether, but the AA option really did NOTHING at all. I cannot stand jaggies in games. With the help of nvidia inspector I was successfully able to enable 4xAA and SLI. I would have loved to have gone higher with the AA but there was a huge performance hit for some reason even with dual GTX 580's. However, I can say that this game looks absolutely beautiful with max settings + working AA. Well done.

I played through the game as a pure archer. I didn't use any skills other than skills that would improve my ranged abilities. That means no mage attacks (firewall, fireball, etc) because I wanted to stay consistent with how I envisioned my character. By the end of FoV I think my ranged damage was somewhere between 350-650 damage (using the unique bow from the merchant in Market Square) and something like 200-300 magical damage. Gotta love the +100 damage/magic damage enchantments. Not to mention my crit rate was hovering around 85%. Add in Way of the Ranger, and my normal attacks were critting for 3000+ damage sometimes. Want to take out a whole group of enemies in one shot? Fire a splitting arrow with Way of the Ranger on, and with crits, you can do that no problem. I don't think I even used explosive arrows after level 35, because the damage was well under that of my normal attacks.

The game pretty much hit all the right notes with me gameplay-wise. The animations were a bit stiff, and there were some bugs, but overall it was really satisfying. I enjoyed having to maneuver around while fighting and dodge attacks from enemies while lining up shots from my bow. The combat was much better than I had expected after playing the demo, especially with ranged attacks. I think Larian did a great job with the loot system as well. Loot is always a big plus for me in rpgs and I found myself getting excited every time there was a chest or a named enemey to fight because of the chance of getting something new. I wish the trick with reloading before opening chests didn't exist because I think sometimes I would reload 20-30 times just to see what else would show up in there.

I thought the battle tower was a pretty cool addition as well. A lot of games don't really always give you a "home base" so I enjoyed that aspect. Also picking between different sets of crafters was a nice touch too, because it had an impact on the rest of the game in regards to training and crafting. Turning into a dragon was cool as well, but it got a bit old, especially during the flying fortress areas, but gameplay-wise it was executed fairly well. I was happy to see they didn't overuse it in the expansion.

There wasn't really much point to this post other than to share my thoughts with the game overall. I could add a few more things but the wall of text would get even more ridiculous. Thanks Larian for a great game and I can't wait for the next addition!

Last edited by moop1167; 17/02/11 04:29 PM.
veteran
veteran
I thought the battle tower was a pretty cool addition as well. A lot of games don't really always give you a "home base" so I enjoyed that aspect.

Yes, it was. The only problem is that we get it too late, almost at the end of the game. And there is like.. only one location left - Fjords (I don't count redux version of BV). You can't really "feel" that you expand power of your Tower and your allies. In a blink of an eye you finish the game and like.. what? The potential of Tower was never really used. The great idea was destroyed by poor implementation.

Same happened in addon. Larian loves to repeat the mistakes they did already >_>

old hand
old hand
Yay, more sweeping statements from Kein. Finishing the game in a blink of an eye after the battle tower, really?

C
C
Well it is what it feels like before they released FoV. And I felt it became almost useless for FoV.

C
apprentice
apprentice
C
Originally Posted by virumor
Yay, more sweeping statements from Kein. Finishing the game in a blink of an eye after the battle tower, really?

Amen, get's tiring listen to Kein sweep in with blanket statements claiming doom and gloom over the most petty and majority disagreed on.

C
apprentice
apprentice
C
I do wish the battle tower and island once yours should have been talked on more and maybe even a small cut scene showing off its power and why its valuable as a offensive and defensive base of operations.

S
stranger
stranger
S
It does feel a little underwhelming after the amount Laiken did to keep it. It's just a house, but I guess some squatters are like that smile

veteran
veteran
I find the Battle Tower a very nice aspect in the game.
Funny is that I, reading about Divinity II when D II wasn't not on the market yet, I had a total different image/picture about this Battle Tower in my mind .
Above all I was thinking of a more bigger Tower with also a deep dungeon benaeth the Tower or a secret tunnel to somewhere ... ? biggrin

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by moop1167
I can definitely say that this game kind of came out of nowhere for me. I knew nothing about it before I saw it pop up on the main menu on steam. Since I am a sucker for rpgs, I figured I'd take a stab at the demo. I played it, but it didn't really seem all that special to me and I was really turned off by the graphics (lack of AA), but I saw it had some potential. Steam holiday sale comes up, so I figure I'd pick it up and get to it at some point. 75-80 hours later (for both the main game and FoV) and I can say this is probably my sleeper hit of the year.

However, I can say that this game looks absolutely beautiful with max settings + working AA. Well done.

The same for me. I wanted a game to tide me over until Dragon Age 2 is released. While I was looking, I saw that steam was having a sale and decided to look at their selection. I saw the Div2 demo and thought "why not;" dld the demo and didn't get more than ten minutes into it, before making my mind up to buy it.

I absolutely loved it overall. The humour; VAs; quests; graphic and most of all the stats. Normally I'm not a fan of stats, but I found myself re-calculating stats every time I came across something new for my Char.

There were times though that I thought that my female Dragon Slayer was treated as a male, which was annoying, but continued with the game; luckily, this didn't happen in FoV. I loved every second playing the game; and according to steam, I loved it to the tune of 237 hrs over 2 weeks. I'm sure I didn't spend that much time on it; I left the game on when I did other things around the house, only turning my pc off when I actually left home.

Larian, are you doing more in this series? If so, then you've got a pre-order wanna be here. I've already bought Ego Draconis, based on Div 2 but I want more.

I've been constantly talking about this game to others, and will buy the retail versions for my xbox playing nephews.

smile

Support
Support

I've already bought Ego Draconis, based on Div 2 but I want more.

'Divinity II - The Dragon Knight Saga' is the remastered 'Divinity 2 - Ego Draconis' together with the add-on 'Flames of Vengeance'.

Larian's next projects are in pre-production. See Lar's post here, and there were some earlier comments in the older topic Status update.

Welcome to the forum. wave

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Raze

I've already bought Ego Draconis, based on Div 2 but I want more.

'Divinity II - The Dragon Knight Saga' is the remastered 'Divinity 2 - Ego Draconis' together with the add-on 'Flames of Vengeance'.

Larian's next projects are in pre-production. See Lar's post here, and there were some earlier comments in the older topic Status update.

Welcome to the forum. wave

Hello

Yes, I knew that "Ego Draconis" was the same; I got that one for my xbox and have Div2 on my PC. I was also curious to see what the differences were between the original and the remastered one. I even managed to buy a copy of Divine Divinity for my PC, although I haven't had the time to play it yet.

Thank you for the links and the welcome. smile

K
stranger
stranger
K
Hi
I finally beat the game, but I was very disappointed to find out that you die in the end and Damien and his lover rule the land. Is that how it was supposed to go?

E
journeyman
journeyman
E
Originally Posted by kitty4508
Hi
I finally beat the game, but I was very disappointed to find out that you die in the end and Damien and his lover rule the land. Is that how it was supposed to go?

That's how the original campaign ends. If you want some justice, get Flames of Vengeance. smile

K
stranger
stranger
K
Flames of Vengeance? Has that game come out yet?

Support
Support

Yes, it has been out for awhile, either as a digital distribution on PC (only the German PC release got a physical edition of FoV) or as part of DKS on either Xbox or PC. The North American release of DKS is set for April 12th (with pre-order bonuses); there was no PC DVD release of DKS in either the US or UK. If you install FoV on the PC, there is a patch to convert the game to DKS, though that will break save compatibility with D2:ED saves.

L
stranger
stranger
L
I was also curious to see what the differences were between the original and the remastered one.。。

veteran
veteran
Some keywords comparing original Ego Draconis with remastered DKS are :
smoother, better graphics, more balanced, replacements of enemies and loot, better loot & Armour Sets (also in the first part of the game!) ... more fun and replayability value all this give!

And also (for the Xbox version, I don't know if the PC version has changed on this?): much better "controls/interface" !!

All in all certainly MORE than enough, I can't say it "enough" times :hihi: , reasons to definitely play the DKS again (more than one time) from the very start in Farglow !! delight

Have Fun with the Dragon Knight Saga !

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard