Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
addict
OP Offline
addict
Just finished ED and started FOV. Noticed that the first mindread is 15000 exp points eek

Should I invest 15 points into mindread?

addict
addict
Maybe try and get some jewelry that gives +2 to Mindread, then equip those. It'll put a dent in the total costs of mindreading for no skill point investment.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by Lancet
Maybe try and get some jewelry that gives +2 to Mindread, then equip those. It'll put a dent in the total costs of mindreading for no skill point investment.

does a mindread skill of 15 give you a free mindread? If so, I could always just send my runners out for bunches of diamonds and get the money to put 15 into my mindread

addict
addict
yes it will 15 = 0

UNKNOWN: Friends help you move...True friends, help you move bodies...
E.A.P.: Blood was it's Avatar and it's seal.
E.A.P.: Stupidity is a talent for misconceptions.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Originally Posted by SENIOR CINCO
yes it will 15 = 0

well, looks like that is worth it :P is there an abundance of skill books in aleroth? It seems that FoV has bumped the cost of relearning skills way up

Last edited by born2beagator; 01/05/11 04:43 AM.
Support
Support

I'm not sure about books, but there are apparently lots of skill points available from mindreading, at least.

addict
OP Offline
addict
what about wisdom? it didn't seem to make much difference in ed.

addict
addict
I started Fov and maxed out MR because it was just too painful to cause that much debt. I was thinking of Wisd but there are places where enemies respawn so its no shortage of XP.

I didn't get that far and had to restart due to a careless save...

addict
OP Offline
addict
Respawning eneimes? LOL, what good is wisdom then?

addict
addict
My point exactly...

T
enthusiast
enthusiast
T
Apparently in in the original ED you could farm respawn points for XP, but in DKS, it seems they've fixed the loophole - the respawn areas are still there, but after a certain number of respawns, you start getting 0xp for each kill.

At least that's what I found with every respawn area I discovered (and I've seen others on these forums confirm it).

As for Wisdom, I don't think it's worth it. Consider that each skill point you spend in wisdom only gives you 2% more experience. That means you'll have to advance 50 levels AFTER spending that point on wisdom to get the point back (50 levels * 2% experience = 1 full level due to the wisdom bonus). Given you're not going to get much higher than level 45, you'll be losing heavily on skill points, especially since you need to already be pretty high level in order to max out wisdom in the first place.

OK, so levelling does give other advantages beyond skill points (such as ability points) but it's the skill points that are the most useful. And to get maximum advantage out of widsom, you need to spend the points on it as soon as possible, so you get the most XP advantage through the rest of the game - and skill points are in very short supply in the early parts of the game.

But mindreading - definitely useful. You'll get far more skill points back than you spend, especially in the later parts of the game. For example, almost every opponent in the Hall of Echoes gives you a skill point if you mindread them.

Skill books are also plentiful in FoV (often as quest rewards) but there's as many skill points to be gained from mindreading in FoV as from the books.

Finally the mindread cost varies with different people - basically if mindread is going to cost a lot of XP, then you'll get something good (skill point, item etc). If it costs little XP it's not worth it (you'll get some useless personal thought).

veteran
veteran
I never invest in Mindreading or Wisdom. It's never worth it. I do keep +Mindread and +Wisdom gear around at all times, but I never spend skill points on that stuff, even though it's true that there are enough +skills in FoV to max your primary and secondary skills.

The enemies in FoV give so much experience that the mind-reading debt will be wiped out incredibly quickly.

addict
OP Offline
addict
Well, I went back into an ED save and milked every shopkeeper for every penny they had, then went to the tower and put 15 points into mindread. See I am interested in even the useless stuff (I think it adds to the experience) and free mindreading is just too good to resist. Took all the points out of wisdom and put them to mindread as well.

I still have high summon demon, magic blast, explosive arrow, firewall, and sword and shield expertise skills, so I think I am fine.

veteran
veteran
FoV throws around free skill points like candy, so yeah, no harm at all upping it to level 15.

Do note that unlike ED, where each mindread is a free skill/ability in FoV some are fixed. And you can potentially get nothing (like I had getting +1 herbalism while I already maxed it at 5 :().
You can probably re-assign them (I think. Lester?), but like you said, that's expensive.

Last edited by Hassat Hunter; 01/05/11 08:56 PM.
veteran
veteran
My opion is this :
spending skillpoints in Mindreading is a personal decision you have to make for your OWN .
1) You spend all 15 points in MR when you're in Aleroth (FoV) and so you don't have to fight again (& again?) the respawning enemies ... If you don't like too much fighting this way is for you !
2) You spend 0 points in Mindreading because you like the XP dept to fight a lot again and again.
OR
3) You can use the XP dept and MR thing as a buffer for NOT level-up to fast so you have more time to find more gold (or make more gold in some way) because you look for a "special" items/gear a trader has and you've a big wish to get your hand on that item ! But haven't enough money ... you can go MR more NPC's to gain more XP dept (so always important you do not ALL the MR's immediately) ... because Leveling up the trader's stock changed and you loose the item !

"Best wishes ! Soon to be wise !" - from Zixzax, the Almost Wise wink

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard