Next Thread
Print Thread
S
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
S
Hey all finally just got good and started, real life cut me break .... lol
I was trying to get some tips for a good warrior build. Any help ?
Do you need to change builds along the way ? early build vs end game build?
please no spoliers - I just got started that is why I haven't looked at too
many other threads afriad to get * spoiled * - but any help would be appreciated
Thanks !!!

M
addict
addict
M
Put loads of points into Vitality at first.
And get a good bow.

Points in weapon specialty are never lost.

S
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
S
thanks how usefull are the dragon kinght skills. I have looked over all the skill tree's
and lots look usefull but once you get in game it changes everything, lol.

Last edited by StoneMonster; 02/05/11 05:52 PM.
Support
Support

You'll want at least one point in Rush Attack and Whirlwind, but after that wait until you have points to spare. One level of Evade is also essential, but the return on investment after that is poor. In D2:ED I got Bleed up to level 10 (after that the effect per skill point dropped; that may or may not still be the case in DKS), and of course maxed my weapon expertise of choice.

Level 1 of the healing spell comes in handy, after you hit level 15 and can learn it. At that point you may want to learn Mana Efficiency, which reduces the cost to summon your creature. I didn't use a lot of warrior skills (like Thousand Strikes or Fatality), but mid game learning Mana Efficiency allowed me to summon my creature and have enough mana left over to heal if required (I only put a couple stat points into Spirit).
Some people like the ghost summon early in the game for its ability to heal you (though not on demand), but I never tried it.

A point in Life Leech and Mana Leech should help; some people like more in either or both. I put a couple points into Regenerate when I was able, which helped, but after unlearning all my skills (possible once you get the battle tower, for a price), I didn't bother re-learning it.

In D2:ED I maxed Lockpick as soon as I could, so I could get all the chests I found when exploring. In DKS I did this as well, but the loot on low levels seems to be mostly just gold and potions, so playing again I think I would delay learning higher levels of Lockpick and make a note of where there are chests I need to come back for later.

S
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
S
Thanks guys gives me something to think about, anyone care to share a good build they
have played through , I wont copy and paste , just don't have tons of spare time to
set up build after build and this game is awesome I would love too see a sucessfull build
one I could play on and off might get 3 to 4 hours a night due to real life , but I want to see
the whole world... lol .. The open world is awesome great job larian.

p.s. I don't want a spolier build , this game just seems alot different as far as point
location as a warrior in most rpg's use strength but looks like intellegnce could be handy
for the enchanted weapons to get their full impact.

Last edited by StoneMonster; 02/05/11 08:07 PM.
Support
Support

Actually, there are lots of ways to make successful builds. Invest stat and skill points where you need them. Save and try out a new skill to see if you like it, and reload if you don't. If you are not sure what to do with your points, keep some in reserve until you start having a problem.

There are also skill bonuses you can get on equipment, to try things out. Merchants reset their inventories each time you level, so you can save before getting close and running your crosshairs over them, and then trade, and reload if you want to check for something different. Generally, though, merchants (and chests) tend to have the best results on your first try. I wasted too much time in D2:ED reloading, so in DKS set a (soft) limit of 3 attempts; for the first few levels I checked the merchants each time I leveled, but once I had a full compliment of usable equipment, there was less need for that. After about level 5 or 6 I would go check the smith for a better weapon if I started having problems, etc, but wouldn't necessarily check everyone, let alone reload. Mow I only bother reloading a couple times for boss opponents that always drop some random loot when defeated, or for special chests that always have a good quality random item.

You can concentrate on strength and vitality. There are magic and balanced weapons if you want to put points into intelligence, but in D2:ED with a warrior and DKS with a ranger I have stuck to regular weapons. In D2:ED the magic damage bonus was always my second choice for weapon enchantments, when possible (after the normal damage enchantment), but I didn't have any problem with a moderate intelligence. So far in DKS I have not put any points into intelligence for my ranger (I might have to put a couple into spirit at some point).

looking for some character advice for a ranged character, but some of the stat discussion may be useful

Monk/Ninja Build

S
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
S
Thamks for the tips Raze!!!

veteran
veteran
Yeah, the sad part with most skills is that 1 point is vital (regenerate, mana leech, evade) and there's no point improving it after that... leaving you with lots of "spare" points that aren't really good for anything but mediocre improvements frown.

S
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
S
That is my only learning curve ... drop some stats for a decent warrior build plz...
I can work out the small stuff add here take away there, but I do not want to drop
ton of points in a area that will not be usefull. I am use to JRPG, WRPG, Euro RPG
first one I have played but I love the story line so far.

Support
Support

If you train as a warrior in Farglow, you start off with 5 points in strength, so your first level I would suggest putting most or all your stat points into vitality. Train as a ranger and mage, as well; even if you don't want to go through the training area to test out those classes, you can sell the weapons.

After that (and it sounds like you are already past there) I'd guess 2 points into strength each level and 1 or 2 into vitality. When I got my vitality up to about 20 (including equipment bonuses) I stopped boosting it. There are no stat requirements on equipment, so you don't need to worry about boosting dexterity in order to use better bows (it does help with ranged damage and resistance, though). Even without investing in any ranger skills, a bow is quite helpful early in the game (to draw opponents to you, and get some damage in first), and should come in handy up to about the middle of the D2:ED section of DKS (in the original release of D2:ED my duel wielding warrior pretty much only used a bow after that to break crates, etc).
I have not put any points into intelligence, with my ranger, and have equipment bonuses that make up for the lack of magic resistance from that stat (though as a ranged character, at least outdoors arrows and most magic is fairly easy to avoid at mid to long distance). I never needed to look specifically for equipment with magic resistance, and in general the bonuses on armour are more important than the base resistances (which tend to be relatively similar on equipment of roughly the same quality).

Eventually you can rely on armour enchantments and equipment bonuses for a good chunk of your hit points and resistances.

I started my current character (the first in DKS) as a ranger with unarmed melee as a backup (roughly starting with 2 points into dexterity, 1 in strength and 1 in vitality). Melee was handy at the start of the game, but less so after around level 10 or 12, and non-existent from about level 14-20. I'm thinking of re-assigning my X button as Splitting Arrows (once I learn it) rather than melee attack, as I simply have not needed to fall back on melee combat for awhile. With only a bit of unarmed combat, I may start a new warrior character after I finish my current game. At first I think I will focus just on strength and vitality, but don't want to recommend that without trying it.

There is a stat cap of 100, so between equipment bonuses and possible charms, you will eventually reach the limit of whatever your primary stat is (strength, in this case). In D2:ED I boosted intelligence (for the resistance) and dexterity (for the ranged damage bonus and resistance, as well as bow requirements, which were removed in DKS), and didn't come close to maxing strength. In fact, I stopped assigning stat points at one point, to keep the game from becoming too easy (had 39 unassigned stat points on level 36).
In DKS an unarmed warrior will likely need to max strength, but with weapons, you can easily do enough damage even if you spread your stats out a bit. A couple people have mentioned distributing their stat points fairly evenly, but didn't give any details of their builds, that I recall (presumably they were using mixed 'class' characters).

S
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
S
Thanks Raze you rock !!!!

veteran
veteran
I've never played a pure warrior, but I like to use a melee weapon too many times on my current play smile !
I've bought & found already more than 12 equipment items (yewellery: amulets, bracelets, rings, earrings) with +1 or +2 points for a skill ! It's nice to "test" a skill and if you like the skill you can invest more points if you wish/can.

There're Armour Sets with a melee weapon that have a much better outcome if you put points in Intelligence ! For example
the Defenders of Aleroth Armour Set

It's all up to you to go for :
1) a stength based warrior concentrating on heavy normal damage melee weapon
or
2) a intelligence based warrior, conc. on magical damage melee weapons

Personal, I prefer number 2, but to be honest, that's because I also love magic spells.
So far I'm level 19 and have around: 50 vitality, 35 intelligence, 15 spirit, and my strength & dexerity are only around 9. (WITH all the boosts on gear + charms)
I started in Farglow as a Mage. I use also frequently a bow and now have bought a level 19 Elven Bow with 17-51 magical damage (by Derk), but have also 3 other different Bows biggrin

Good Luck ! wink

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
S
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
S
Thanks for the tips....

M
addict
addict
M
As a pure warrior, I did not put more than 5 points in Spirit.
For the first levels, mostly Vitality (Strength only to use better weapons).
After that, nearly as much in Dexterity, Intelligence and Strength until they reached around 40 (Dexterity boosts ranged armor, Strength melee damage, Intelligence boost mana regen and magic damage from weapons).

I put points in Vitality whenever I felt I needed it.

veteran
veteran
I also put only 5 or 6 points in Spirit so far, but all the other points to reach 15 are from boosts on equipment & Spirit Charms I bought and put on gear wink

There is also another "pro" when investing in a warrior that concentrate on Magic Damage Melee Weapons :
now you can choose to make some great (and fun) strategy steps like for example :
the battle start and you jump nearby a group enemies or use Rush Attack to fast end up in the middle of a group ... do a Wirlwind attack and use Firewall ... and because of the higher Intelligence all the magic spells are even deadlier !
biggrin

Okay, I know in that way you are not a pure warrior, but why would you use only warrior skills while this fantastic RPG give you a open skill tree ?

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Raze
A couple people have mentioned distributing their stat points fairly evenly, but didn't give any details of their builds, that I recall (presumably they were using mixed 'class' characters).

I used a DW pure warrior on my last playthrough on nightmare with balanced stats in str/dex/int. I began with putting pts in just str and vit until lvl 4, with a pnt or two in spirit until it reached 5 and that was it. I stopped investing in vit when it reached 15 and used charms and enchants for the rest of DKS to boost it and my HPs.

From lvl 10 to the end of DKS ( before FoV ) my str and int stayed pretty even, within a few pts, and dex fell in there around 20% less. The balanced stats fluctuated as I advanced lvls. I would keep some pts in reserve when I knew I was within a lvl or two from wearing a set of armor. I would wait until I wore the armor and then, (in this order) enchant/charm/add stat pts. The stats went where they were best suited to even out the three resistances. My goal was to try to maximize my weapon dmg output (norm and magic) without the sacrifice of resistances. For instance, the Black Ring loves to use Curse and with an elevated int that helped me from falling under it as often.(it lowers your dmg output)

I selected weapons that when used together had an ending balanced dmg output. If I found a weapon that was high in norm dmg I would pair it with a weapon of high mag dmg, or wield two balanced weapons. Although I only invested in the warrior tree, and only used a bow on three enemies, having a raised dex I could use an enchanted balanced bow with fairly effective results. If I chose to do so.

All in all, I was very pleased with my character. He was able to stand in the middle of a group or start at edge and draw them out 1 or 2 at a time. I used Rush Attack for the most part and followed up with a 1 point invested Whirl Wind or two. At higher lvls I found Bat Rage to be very useful before going up against tuff baddies. Once I reached lvl 20 or so I was dealing out 600+ dmg w/ a single blow ( 1 of 2 ) and with high dex that would deal 2200-3500+ (with a crit hit) by the time I got into the 30s.

It all comes down to playstyle and preference. I found this path to be fun and effective with a strong and hardy character that could 1 to 2 shot most anything in the way.

EDIT: Here are my ending stats, with full equipment, before FoV. (scroll to 3rd from top)
DW WARRIOR

Last edited by SENIOR CINCO; 05/05/11 03:48 AM.

UNKNOWN: Friends help you move...True friends, help you move bodies...
E.A.P.: Blood was it's Avatar and it's seal.
E.A.P.: Stupidity is a talent for misconceptions.

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard