Next Thread
Print Thread
#445042 28/05/11 09:43 PM
G
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
Just got the game. Wile looking around for some help with some odds and ends in the game I found out there was divinity dragon knight saga and flames of vengeance.
So my questions are, is there a order in which you play them. Or can I just get them both install them. Also when I get them will I have to restart my current game ?

Support
Support

So you have the original release of D2:ED? You will only need one of DKS or FoV (on Xbox there was no separate release of FoV, so the only option to play the add-on is DKS).

The Dragon Knight Saga contains both the remastered D2:ED and the add-on FoV. Saves from the original release of D2:ED are not compatible, though you can start a new level 35 character at the beginning of the add-on.

If you install Flames of Vengeance after the PC version of D2:ED, you can continue with your original saves, though some of the changes made in DKS (redesigned flying fortresses, changes to enchantments, enemy placement, loot, etc) will not be applied (some engine and graphics updates will). After you finish your current character, there is a patch to convert D2:ED + FoV to DKS, if you want to start a new character to check out the changes in the remastered version.

Welcome to the forum. wave

Raze #445047 28/05/11 10:51 PM
G
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
Originally Posted by Raze

If you install Flames of Vengeance after the PC version of D2:ED, you can continue with your original saves, though some of the changes made in DKS (redesigned flying fortresses, changes to enchantments, enemy placement, loot, etc) will not be applied (some engine and graphics updates will). After you finish your current character, there is a patch to convert D2:ED + FoV to DKS, if you want to start a new character to check out the changes in the remastered version.

So if I get FOV does it include the expansion,loot,quests...ect ? Or do I need to get both in order to get the full experience

Support
Support

FoV is the expansion, so that is all you need if you have the original D2:ED (and what you want if you wish to continue with the same character).
FoV continues seamlessly from the end of the D2:ED plot, and completes the dragon knight's story.

The changes made in DKS are mostly small things, that you will certainly notice playing, but if you don't otherwise wish to restart or try a different character build when you are done D2:ED, you wouldn't really need to get DKS (or install the conversion patch).
The biggest change would probably be the equipment system: merchants have better equipment in general (and some have good quality pre-determined items), though there is a little less random equipment in generic chests, enchantment effects have been increased and they are available sooner, and there are additional sets (some pieces can be bought). There are balancing changes which mean you should level faster at the start of the game (a couple people mentioned being a level or two higher when they got access to the full Broken Valley) and at the beginning of the fjords. Most of the anti-dragon shields were removed from the flying fortresses in DKS and they were redesigned. There were changes to the camera system and UI, as well.

If you don't mind starting a new character, or want a DVD release, then get DKS. If you want to continue with your current character, then get FoV, and then you have the option of installing the (large) conversion patch before the next time you begin a new character.

Raze #445058 29/05/11 03:25 PM
G
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
Thanks for clearing that up for me Raz.
I think I am going to just get DKS after I beat the game once.
I think the game has some decent replay value to it.

G
journeyman
journeyman
G
In the PC version at least you cannot use a save game from your older version if you upgrade. There are quite a few differences in the upgrade that make them incompatible. You can opt to play the add-on Flames of Vengeance with your character that completes DKS, or start a new charachter which will not have any of the equipment of your old one. Played it both ways and both have their good points. I've found the level of replay with this game very high and it is cetainly a great bargain!

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard