Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#451649 02/11/11 08:44 PM
paro Offline OP
OP Offline
so is there going to be an option and how well will it effect your game style....what will/would you be?

Don't poke the fire. It might poke back!
paro #451661 03/11/11 12:24 PM
That rather depends on what kind of evil they're going for. If it's the rather silly 'be a jerk to people for no adequately explained reason', then I probably won't go that route no matter how many rewards the game would inexplicably give me for that approach (lookin' at you, Fable 3).

If it were more of a ruthless, self-serving, mad-with-power kind of evil, I might be tempted to go that route on a second or third playthrough.

Don't think about a simple good-evil alignment scale. It's a lot more like politics where your choices will please some people and displease others.

Originally Posted by Greever
Don't think about a simple good-evil alignment scale. It's a lot more like politics where your choices will please some people and displease others.

Politics isn't always morally neutral.

Allowing police officers to murder peaceful protesters is certainly a political decision that would please some people and displease others. But I wouldn't say it's a morally neutral act.

old hand
old hand
Same here. Seems like the actions of a tyrant to me. If Divinity 2 is anything to go by, role playing as an evil character will be worthwhile to do. In Divinity 2, you could be evil simply because you were ruthless and greedy.

I think the role playing elements offered in Dragon Commader will be great and enough to please any role playing fan. Larian Studios have never failed (IMO) at offering dialogue choices and allowing the player to choose from multiple actions. I still think that the Jackson quest line in Divinity 2 is one of the best quests in an RPG for this generation.

"I'll do to ye, what I did to Booth!"

Plus, that quest has multiple outcomes and consequences.

Last edited by Demonic; 03/11/11 05:49 PM.
paro Offline OP
OP Offline
well i love to be evil at most parts but when it comes down to something like killing a baby or something like that i wont thats just to evil hehe...but still parts like when in Divinity 2 you come across the sisters at the water and they find the ring off the dead guy id take it for myself but at something like when the new order guy and the champion guy meet and almost fight id brake it up and prevent death.

paro #451677 04/11/11 01:03 AM
old hand
old hand
Sounds like your character was lawful Evil. Chaotic evil characters just kill anything and do what they want and have no code or law that they abide by whereas a lawful evil character may live by a certain code. So while your character was evil, he wasn't a bastard who would kill a baby.

I don't think it'll be possible to be Chaotic evil in Dragon Commander. That was only possible in the first game and second. Divinity 2 gave limits as to who you could kill which I didn't mind.

Last edited by Demonic; 04/11/11 01:04 AM.
paro Offline OP
OP Offline
either way atleast you have/had an option.

paro #451750 07/11/11 09:10 PM
old hand
old hand
I think it made sense. You were off stopping Damien and you were a Dragon Slayer, so you had a code. It wouldn't make sense for the player to be able to go off and kill anyone that they want.

paro Offline OP
OP Offline
ya would be sorta bad to have no allies at all wouldent it...i meant come on how would you have a chance against the black ring and the champions all at once even as a dragon knight.

paro #451766 08/11/11 05:49 PM
old hand
old hand
It's not just that, if the player is able to kill good people, then one would wonder why they have no chance to join Damien himself. Whether The Dragon Knight is Lawful Evil or Chaotic Good, he/she is still out to stop Damien and won't pointless kill people for no reason.

Divine Divinity on the other hand allowed the player to be Chaotic Evil as you could go around killing people for no reason.

I'm curious to see what choices we get to make in Dragon Commander. I'd imagine some dialogue will be "I'm doing this just because I want to see you suffer" as you can play as a tyrant according to the description of Dragon Commander.

Of course, you can probably also make choices without thinking about good or evil. You could be just choosing something which benefits you more. It may be considered evil or good by someone on your fortress but to you, it's just business.

I think Dragon Commander is going to get the role play better than any other Divinity game. I'd imagine we can have alliances with other Dragon Knights too.

Last edited by Demonic; 08/11/11 05:52 PM.
paro Offline OP
OP Offline
i agree, i have high hopes for DC in the matter that you will have more options on how you want to aproach the game.

paro #451788 09/11/11 08:41 AM
The choices will NOT be as linear as: "Sire, we found a box of kittens, do we build an cat-orphanage around them or do we set them on fire to set an example for all other boxes of kittens?"

You're going to have to answer some hard questions that are very much in the various gray zones of politics, morality and society.

Originally Posted by Greever
You're going to have to answer some hard questions that are very much in the various gray zones of politics, morality and society.

Sounds good. Though, sadly, I'll believe it when I see it.

But what about the petty abuses of power still sadly present in the real world? Corruption. Cronyism. Embezzlement. Discrimination. Oppression. The silencing of dissidents and the pompous glorification of the leader.

Not 'kitten-burning-evil', but 'real-world-evil'. Will that kind of thing make it into the game as options for the PC?

Last edited by WotanAnubis; 09/11/11 09:35 AM.
paro Offline OP
OP Offline
HAHAHA i know i hope its not going to be like that but the only thing i worried about is how bad the questions are going to be for exp ( what if you have to choose to make an alliance with a group or destroy them. will you be able to know what they are like or what you would get out of doing one of the two options?) so i hope it gives you at least so information to help determine what would be best/ most suited for you.

paro #452974 23/01/12 12:59 AM
stranger
stranger
Yeah, I've curious about the same thing, and not hoping for a fable 3 system of weights and measures.

The Black Knights... the Knights for justice.
veteran
veteran
Something as in The Witcher .. I think that might be good ... not evil or not good, but more neutral or so to say:
not "evil" or "good" to the letter of it's meaning (like evil = demon, witch, dark, etc )

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
M
addict
addict
M
!raise topic

Originally Posted by WotanAnubis

Politics isn't always morally neutral.

Allowing police officers to murder peaceful protesters is certainly a political decision that would please some people and displease others. But I wouldn't say it's a morally neutral act.

Sure, but look at another case. Do you set a tax on your whole kingdom to finance the police, or do you let each separate "county" take care of it's own police ?
That's morally neutral, but it could have very different consequences (about corruption for example, or differences in efficienty).

A
veteran
veteran
A
I don't think therewill be "good or evil".

Just your decisions.

Which you must have the guts to carry them out.

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
apprentice
apprentice
from what i gathered there will be stuff like this

*dwarf king ..... walks up and greets you*

"The elven queen ...... has stolen ...... and ..... from our lands"

then the elf comes up and goes

"We did this to save (big amount) of people and to prevent (some other race) from wiping out the elves"

now you have a choice if you pick the elf would get the land she would think you were good and so would her followers but the dwarves think otherwise yet if you told the dwarf that she is her prisoner and he gets her lands then he thinks youre great and she thinks your evil, that way theres more of what do you think is more evil and you think about decisions not just i like elfs but shes good so i go dwarves.

Being scared of something is being uneducated
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  ForkTong, Issh, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard