Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#451944 24/11/11 06:17 PM
Guthan Offline OP
OP Offline
Hey guys,

I just accidentally broke my cd... Is there any way I can still play the game now? Cause it always asks to put in the cd when I launch the game...

The Question isn't how
The Question is when
and the answer is now
Guthan #451970 28/11/11 12:53 AM
Support
Support

There is a configuration file edit to skip the intro videos (see here).

At least with the latest English disk version of the game, this will also eliminate the need for the Play CD, except for a couple cases: the blessing ceremony (after hitting the gong late in the game) and at the end of the game. These are the same limitations as with the no-CD hack.
The version number is shown in the bottom right corner of the main menu (latest is 1.0034A for the English localization, otherwise you may need the patch). The DVD version has already been updated, while CD versions may or may not be, depending on when they were produced.

Do you know anyone who has the game (or you can convince to buy it) so you can borrow it and copy the Play CD / DVD? IIRC The English Play CD will work fine to start the German version of the game, and vise versa.

If you would like support for higher (and widescreen) resolutions you may want to consider buying the download version. Good Old Games currently has DD (and BD) on sale for US$3 (didn't check Impulse). Other than a couple bug fixes and some changes to skills (see here), there isn't much difference with the download version, though, and the saves from the disk version may not work properly in the download version (some people reported a crash loading disk version saves, or the saves loaded fine, but they were unable to re-save after that).

If you zip (etc) the entire Divine Divinity folder you will be able to 're-install' the game just by unzipping the archive.

You would not need to include the saves in the savegames folder (each save is a separate subfolder in the '..\Divine Divinity\Run\savegames' folder). Under Vista/7, depending on how the user accounts are set up, if you install the game to the default Program Files path, Windows can create separate savegame folders for each user, and then map that folder to the game's savegame folder (so it will just see the saves for the relevant user).
C:\Users\ %account name% \AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Divine Divinity\Run\savegames

The contents of the '..\Divine Divinity\Run\Dynamic' folder can also be deleted before backing up the game, if applicable (this folder can be created in the user path in Vista/7).
This folder is used as a cache for the game. Files are created / copied there from the save game folder when you load, and written / copied from that folder when you save a game. The files will be re-created as required the next time you start Divinity.

Raze #452049 01/12/11 03:05 PM
D
stranger
stranger
D
Hello,
i have a question and didnt want to open another thread.
Is it possible to avoid the problem with the blessing ceremony if an image of the play cd (cd3) is available as an .iso file?
Played the game with a nocd-crack till now, but the original cds arent available anymore. frown
Didnt expect/know of that problem...

Would appretiate some advice.

Thx in advance.
Greetz

Last edited by Dios85; 01/12/11 09:54 PM.
Dios85 #452054 01/12/11 10:18 PM
Support
Support

Yes. The game looks for a CD with the appropriate name and plays the cutscene videos from the expected path, so that is all you need. I tested that with a CD-RW disk shortly after the DVD version of the game was released, and someone installed the CD version patch not realizing the DVD was already updated, so the game started asking for the Play CD. They ended up downloading something from somewhere, though I have no idea how that was easier than simply uninstalling the game to get rid of the patch and then reinstalling it from the DVD.

Welcome to the forum. wave

Raze #452068 02/12/11 05:08 PM
D
stranger
stranger
D
Hi, thx for the welcome. smile
If i understood you, it should be possible to make the game work with the iso-file.
But I tested it already. I put the iso-file into a virtual drive and replaced the crack with the original div.exe file from the cd. But it still asks for the play cd...
Does it have to be a CD/DVD? Makes no sense because the virtual drive should emulate that.

Didnt get what it has to do with the patch? As far as I know it was only the v1.34 patch. Is it part of the nocd-crack?

Dios85 #452069 02/12/11 06:58 PM
Support
Support

I never tried a virtual drive, but I would expect it to work. Try burning the iso to disk, assuming you are playing the game on something with an optical drive. If you are on a netbook, try an external drive, if possible, just to check if the iso itself is the problem, or the virtual drive program.

The person with the DVD version had a problem after installing the CD version patch because then the game started looking for the Play CD (the disk name and/or and path to the video files having been changed for the DVD version).

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard