T
Tarnum Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
T
Correct me if I am wrong.
Official releases

1. v1.0029A (September 13, 2002) - first commercial release of the game (3CD). This version utilizes Safedisc v2.70.030 copy protection (CD3 is a protected disk).
2. Divine Divinity Hotfix 1.31 v1.0031A (September 16, 2002) - first official game update. Changes the copy protection scheme (Safedisc v2.80.010).
3. Divine Divinity Hotfix 2 1.32 v1.0032A (October 1, 2002).
4. Divine Divinity first official game patch 1.33 v1.0033A (April 23, 2003). The copy protection changed again (Safedisc v2.90.040).
5. Divine Divinity second official game patch 1.34 v1.0034A (May 2, 2003). Removes Safedisc protection, leaves CD check only.

Are there any actual changes in v1.0034A (compared to v1.0033A) other than Safedisc protection was removed? What does 'Solves the black map/resetted world problem' mean?

Unofficial(electronis software distribution - ESD) releases

6. v1.004A - the first GoG released version (October 29, 2009). I would like to test this version but I'm unable to find it. sad If You have got the first GoG released version of this game please compress all game files dated 2003+ in rar archive and upload it somewhere. The archive size should be only about 10Mb and this archive can be considered as 'Unofficial game patch 1.4'. Thanks in advance!
7. v1.005A (January 5, 2010?). This version reverts back all the changes made by official 1.33/1.34 game patches. All quests/story/map errors appear again. Beware! Several other changes has been made instead, however (see this topic for details).

Are there any other game versions not listed here?

Sorry for my bad english.

Last edited by Tarnum; 18/03/12 10:30 AM.
Support
Support

5. Divine Divinity second official game patch 1.34 v1.0034A (May 2, 2003). Removes Safedisc protection, leaves CD check only.

There is no actual disk check, just the game playing the intro cutscene off the Play CD (which can be disabled, see here), as well as cutscenes during the Blessing Ceremony and the end of the game (which can not be disabled).

The 1.34 patch also fixed the black map bug introduced in the 1.33 patch (other than that there were no differences). After installing the 1.33 patch, some people found that loading a save made in a previous version of the game (new games had no problem) that one or more (IIRC usually one) regions of the game (Aleroth/Ferol, Dark Forest, Verdistis) would be reset, so the fog-of-war would be completely black again (annoying, but easy enough to re-clear) and that quest opened locations could be re-sealed (possibly breaking side and main plot quests). In the council hall, for example, the door to the scrying room would be sealed if the council hall/Verdistis map was hit by this bug. Until the 1.34 patch was released there were a couple workarounds to get back into required areas.

Unofficial(electronis software distribution - ESD) releases

The download version of DD is an official release, and is available from Impulse as well as GoG.

All quests/story/map errors appear again. Beware! Several other changes has been made instead, however (see this topic for details).

That link is the first claim I recall seeing of old bugs returning.

Are there any other game versions not listed here?

I think that is it for English versions. There was a DVD release of the game (v1.34, same as the patched or re-release CD versions).

T
Tarnum Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
T
Raze
Thanks for the clarification! thankyou
I have been assured that in v1.0034A there are no differences from v1.0033A (except for a problem with save files made in the previous versions of the game).

That link is the first claim I recall seeing of old bugs returning.

The patch 1.33 (and 1.34 too) corrects region files (global subfolder in the game folder, region.00x files), changes few game data files (dat subfolder), adds new versions of a dialogue files (localizations\english\dlg.v2 subfolder) and also adds new startup folder with global data for all characters used at the beginning of new game (main\startup.v2 subfolder). You may check this.
In v1.005A all game files (about which I wrote earlier) are taken from original version 1.0029A. I have got the GoG v1.005A game version and checked this out. Main game executable (v1.005A) uses game resources from v1.0029A. dlg.v2 and startup.v2 folders simply does not exist.

There was a DVD release of the game (v1.34, same as the patched or re-release CD versions).

Yeah the DVD release obviously contains data from all 3CD already patched to v1.0034A with no copy protection at all.

Do not You have files from v1.004A by accident? smile
Regards,
Tarnum

Support
Support

No, I don't have the download version of DD, original or updated.

Are the dialog/startup folder files in the patched download version actually the same as the original release? When remastering the game it would be silly to include the 'v2' folders, when you could just remove the old files and put the updated ones in the original folders.

addict
addict
Raze there may be something to this idea of old bugs returning. I've been looking at the forums on Good Old Games and there are some unusual complaints about bugs that were fixed by patch 1.0033:

http://www.gog.com/en/forum/divine_divinity_series/having_issues_with_main_quest

Mainly problems with NPC's becoming hostile, but causing problems with giving Slasher back, and with Zaknadrix the imp's dialogue.

I have the download version but haven't given it much time because of a relatively minor bug (music transitions are missing). But seeing as how I have all versions of DD installed I wouldn't mind taking the time to check up on this, if I knew how.

Tarnum
can you clarify how you're comparing files between the versions and how you're verifying that older/outdated files are being used?

T
Tarnum Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
T
flixerflax
Tarnum can you clarify how you're comparing files between the versions and how you're verifying that older/outdated files are being used?
I just compared original retail 3CD v1.0029A (Safedisc v2.70.030 protected) version to the electronic (GoG v1.005A) version of the game. Installed retail version in one folder and electronic in another. Then compared files in these folders using Total Commander. Found very few critical differences (5 files - 'configtool.exe', 'div.exe', 'DivDialogSystem.dll', 'Osiris.dll' and 'slash1.dll'). All other files (except a few editable configuration files) are identical.

P.S. You may also look at this topic.

Last edited by Tarnum; 24/03/12 06:13 PM.
addict
addict
Originally Posted by Tarnum

I just compared original retail 3CD v1.0029A (Safedisc v2.70.030 protected) version to the electronic (GoG v1.005A) version of the game. Installed retail version in one folder and electronic in another. Then compared files in these folders using Total Commander. Found very few critical differences (5 files - 'configtool.exe', 'div.exe', 'DivDialogSystem.dll', 'Osiris.dll' and 'slash1.dll'). All other files (except a few editable configuration files) are identical.

P.S. You may also look at this topic.

Thanks. I'm actually 'bengeddes' on GoG with the Jack o' Lantern avatar. I'm sick of trying to get the digital version of this game to behave properly, so I'm just just going to say I wasted 5 bucks and stick with the retail version.

Moderated by  Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard