Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I've been playing this game for the past few weeks & I have to say it is really good. Although there are 1 or two bugs in the game for the most part this game is very well put together. About my only complaint that I have is in regards to the blacksmithing skill. It allows you to make some really nice weapons & armour but dose'nt give you the option to make accessorys. Other than that though I have to say it is very addictive (at least for me) I would reconmend it to anyone who likes DKS/Oblivion/Skyrim hack & slash type RPG's.

veteran
veteran
Yeah, this game is very good & addictive !
My current 3 favorite rpg's at this moment are :
1) still DKS is my number one top of fun and enjoyment !
2) Amalur is very nice looking and addictive too and very funny combat, quests and dialogs !
3) Skyrim, but in some way the combat is 'boring' after a few playrounds ...

My only complain in Amalur is the lockpicking mini-game ... but I can invest in this skill so I can try "auto lockpick" with more % change of luck ... wink

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
addict
addict
I love how colorful this game is. smile I agree with your ranking for those 3 games, Joram.

My Favorite RPGs: Divinity franchise, Gothic franchise (including Arcania, so I think I'm alone...), Venetica, Risen, Two Worlds II, The Witcher, Sacred franchise, Fallout franchise, Mass Effect 1, Alpha Protocol, Planescape: Torment, Drakensang, KOTOR 1 & 2, etc.
old hand
old hand
I think I'll maybe pick this up in a future Steam sale.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
well if EA's stock prices keep dropping those sales might end up happening soon.

P
journeyman
journeyman
P
Kingdoms of Amalur has a wonderful, four-colour feel to it, and the different fighting styles and flowing, fast-paced combat are very well done. I also like the freedom of choice, in that you can change your powers, skills and appearance anytime you like. (Whereas in Skyrim, on the 360, your physical appearance is locked, and can never be altered once chosen at character creation. This is a strange way of thinking for the game creators, in a game that puts such emphasis on roleplaying.)

Salvatore and the other writers have done a great job when gathering inspiration for the Amalur world from Celtic and Nordic mythology. It is interesting to notice the dfference between the immortal Fae - who seem to be based on the 'Sidhe', the Tuatha de Danann of Irish myth - and the mortal Alfar, who are more akin to "normal" fantasy elves. Now, if only I could learn to spot the difference between Ljosalfar and Dokkalfar when I meet them in the game...! smile

About the only thing that seriously bugs me in Amalur is that you can't jump. You are firmly locked to the ground, and can't cross even the smallest fence, or jump down even the slightest slope. The only places where you can jump are where there are specially designated "jump points", represented by cute little wooden platforms scattered around the wilderness. This feature, which Amalur has in common whith the extremely annoying Fable 2, is just plain silly. I would assume that the reasons for this is conveniency when programming the game, but it does damage the sense of freedom when exploring the world.

A marked contrast to DKS, where you can jump over buildings and city walls!

A
veteran
veteran
A
Yes, that you can't jumped made me groan meanwhile playing the demo as well. I just couldn't believe there was no jumping in it ! In such an action game !

When you find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it.
--Dilbert cartoon

"Interplay.some zombiefied unlife thing going on there" - skavenhorde at RPGWatch
addict
addict
38 Studios took taxpayer money, failed to provide their first payment to the state of Rhode Island, handed them a check at a later date, though the funds weren't there, thus the check would've bounced, so the government gave it back to 38 Studios, and now 38 Studios has failed to make payroll, in addition to Curt Schilling being taken off of the 'Visionaries' section of 38 Studio's website.

My Favorite RPGs: Divinity franchise, Gothic franchise (including Arcania, so I think I'm alone...), Venetica, Risen, Two Worlds II, The Witcher, Sacred franchise, Fallout franchise, Mass Effect 1, Alpha Protocol, Planescape: Torment, Drakensang, KOTOR 1 & 2, etc.
old hand
old hand
So they're f**cked?

Curt Schilling is still in the "visionaries" section of the website. I just checked.

TBH I haven't even tried Amalur and from what I've seen of it, it looks like a rather casual RPG with a rather generic and lackluster story. It appears to be rather dumbed down too and the emphasis is more on questing and loot.

addict
addict
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/05/17/38-studios-doesnt-make-payroll/

"Update 3: Curt Schilling has been removed from the "visionaries" page of the 38 Studios website. Text still recognizes him above, picture and bio removed. CEO Jennifer MacLean, who is reported to be on "maternity leave," has also been removed from the site.

Update 4: Schilling is back on "visionaries" page. As for other listed executives: now you see them, now you don't."

As a fan of RPGs, Amalur was excellent. Great look, great combat, etc. It wasn't hard, but I didn't need hard since I just got done finishing up Dark Souls.

old hand
OP Offline
old hand
yes I love Amalur as well I think it is a really great game, it has just the right combination of humour & action. I really like the story to it, though it would have been nice to have the ability to jump it didn't stop me from getting addicted to the game.

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth 

Link Copied to Clipboard