Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
addict
addict
Does anyone else find the environments and characters very much like a child's cartoon? It makes Drakensang look like Dragon Age. A color palette closer to DD might help a little bit.

And did I see a Skeleton Bomber based on Jeff Dunham's Achmed the Dead Terrorist?

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by flixerflax
Does anyone else find the environments and characters very much like a child's cartoon? It makes Drakensang look like Dragon Age. A color palette closer to DD might help a little bit.

Agreed. It reminds me most of Torchlight.

I saw this on RPGCodex:
[Linked Image]

Last edited by virumor; 29/05/12 10:48 PM.
stranger
stranger
I'm really excited for Original Sin. I liked DD, but hack-and-slash gameplay got boring quick. I can't wait for more tactical battles in DOS.

And yeah, colours look way too bright. To be honest the game now looks like something for 8yos smile

S
journeyman
journeyman
S
It would be nice if they revamped the colors. DD strove for a very realistic, earthy aesthetic, so I'm surprised they've gone the Disney route with this one. Colors are too saturated. I actually prefer the way DD looks.

I commend Larian for releasing mod tools. Not many devs do that anymore. Also, are characters voiced or silent?

Last edited by slimgrin; 30/05/12 01:28 AM.
Support
Support

At least theoretically they cold have/add saturation, gamma, contrast and/or brightness sliders in the graphics options.

Dazbog, welcome to the forum. wave

old hand
old hand
It mentions turned based. Is this true turned based or like Bioware's pause based system?

Please be pure turn, pause to me was always sloppy and pretty much impossible to balance masterfully, you paused more if it got hard, so it becomes like a cheat mode. Turn is great for balancing and just being clean for the players to execute.

Support
Support

It is pure turn based. From the blog post Divinity – Original Sin revealed !

Originally Posted by Swen Vincke
Active-pause was considered for some time (and we actually started out like this), but in my heart I really wanted to make one of those games that has epic tactical battles, where you really have to think how you’re going to defeat the enemy. And because I’m occasionally very impulsive, one morning I stormed into the office and told the team that we were going to ditch all the hack & slash stuff and go for turn-based. I was ready to go all despot on them should I encounter any resistance, but to my surprise, they were actually quite supportive of that idea. Then I discovered they were a little bit too supportive, because before I knew it I had an ultra-hardcore system on my plate. Eventually we settled on something that I think is quite accessible, but still offers plenty of opportunity for tactical depth.

Welcome to the forum. wave

old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Raze

It is pure turn based. From the blog post Divinity – Original Sin revealed !

Originally Posted by Swen Vincke
Active-pause was considered for some time (and we actually started out like this), but in my heart I really wanted to make one of those games that has epic tactical battles, where you really have to think how you’re going to defeat the enemy. And because I’m occasionally very impulsive, one morning I stormed into the office and told the team that we were going to ditch all the hack & slash stuff and go for turn-based. I was ready to go all despot on them should I encounter any resistance, but to my surprise, they were actually quite supportive of that idea. Then I discovered they were a little bit too supportive, because before I knew it I had an ultra-hardcore system on my plate. Eventually we settled on something that I think is quite accessible, but still offers plenty of opportunity for tactical depth.

Welcome to the forum. wave

Perfect, thanks. PC Gaming is really looking up lately. This decision is a big deal and imo a right one. As said you can't have near-perfect balance unless it's pure turn.

stranger
stranger
Thanks Raze smile.

I reckon that turn-based combat is great addition to this game. No more clicking without thinking and knowing that if you are powerful enough you will defeat the enemies.

What I am hoping for is that we will be able to win when weaker then enemies due to good tactics and lose to weaker enemies due to bad tactics.

addict
addict
Well, that's all well and good, and I'd be thrilled if this game changed my mind about turn-based combat.

What I don't like is people suggesting that if it's not turn-based, then it's a mindless, shallow clickfest where you mash a single button with your eyes closed to win every battle.

There are tactics with real-time w/ active pause. Baldur's Gate, Dragon Age, Drakensang anyone? Tactics, strategy, deliberation and party management can still be a part of a game's combat without the game ripping the control out of your hands at every turn and making all the pauses for you. It wastes time, and even at best makes combat more like a separate mini-game.

veteran
veteran
The change to turn-based combat baffled me until I read farther and saw that you were controlling two characters. The real-time attempt for controlling two characters in Beyond Divinity was a bit tricky to manage.

... and then I read the part where one party member could get into a turn-based fight which other one could go off and ignore, still playing in real-time, and I was baffled again.

I'm not a huge fan of turn-based combat, but I enjoyed the Fallout series just fine, and this looks like it's following the Fallout "action points" model which worked there.

AND turn-based is ideal for performing combos to attack. I really do not understand everyone whining and saying they'll never buy the game because of that.

The game looks fantastic. I did like the 3rd-person over the shoulder view of Divinity 2, but again, two characters to control has this making more sense.

Looking through the Jeuxvideo site... is this shipping with the map editor? It looks very much like the Morrowind map editor, and I know how to use that!

To whoever theorized this: the game can't be about the birth of the Dragon Knights, even the very youngest of Dragon Knights are FAR older than Zandalor.

Originally Posted by Elliot_Kane
(And also this may be where the totally new part is. Does anyone recall any RPG with a couple who are paired up/married right from the start as the leads? I don't...)

Final Fantasy IV? I think it had Cecil and Rosa as a couple before the game started, although she didn't join the party for a few hours.

Turn based combat is always either boring or ridiculous. I've seen both.

The 'ridiculous' comes in when the bars advance very fast, there is no pause when it's your turn and you need to move through several menus to get at things like healing - which means you have no time to use any abilities except hit fast and hope like heck they die before you do.

The 'at least slightly boring' comes in everything else. With the traditional 'everyone stands in a line' JRPG approach, there is no tactical element whatsoever and no real strategy, either. Your group is either powerful enough, or they are not.

So, there's this game called Fallout... It uses a thing called Action points, it's a pool each character has that can be spent moving or performing an attack. Each character in the party had their own pool of Action points.

You could move each character separately to position them better (out of the line of fire of other teammates).

It worked very well, and that game only had guns and melee attacks, never mind magic, never mind magic that could be combined to attack or defend.

Alrik - I did mostly play the Divinity games in real-time, only occasionally using pause, but pausing did come in handy some times for priority target selection.

rat Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
Logging in to confirm this is super exciting, congrats to the team! Very much looking forward to playing this laugh

They can blow up all two mijne pocket.
enthusiast
enthusiast

And did I see a Skeleton Bomber based on Jeff Dunham's Achmed the Dead Terrorist?

Lol that wouldn't surprise me. Larian have a good sense of humour. I Killl You... smile

As for the colour scheme in the before and after shots above, the after is definitley better. First looked too bright and garish.

By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!

Arokh's Lair - Drakan & Severance: Blade of Darkness forums - https://www.arokhslair.net

veteran
veteran
Well, that's all well and good, and I'd be thrilled if this game changed my mind about turn-based combat.

What I don't like is people suggesting that if it's not turn-based, then it's a mindless, shallow clickfest where you mash a single button with your eyes closed to win every battle.

There are tactics with real-time w/ active pause. Baldur's Gate, Dragon Age, Drakensang anyone? Tactics, strategy, deliberation and party management can still be a part of a game's combat without the game ripping the control out of your hands at every turn and making all the pauses for you. It wastes time, and even at best makes combat more like a separate mini-game.

Totally with Flix on this one.

A good tactical sense will carry you far with real time combat. Seeking positional advantage, proper blocking of enemy access routes to prevent your mages/distance fighters being overrun, etc. Plus you better sort out the strategic side of things if you don't want to die in a hurry, whether through setting up any automatic tactics system (As with Dragon Age or Final Fantasy 12) or just through making sure your characters are properly equipped.

Turn based combat - with or without action points (And I've got games with both systems) is just nowhere near as good.

Put it this way: there's an old game called Chaos Gate that is an action point based turn based combat game set in the Warhammer 40K universe and featuring the usual Space Marines vrs Chaos Marines that you'd expect. It was a great little game for its time, and did what it did well. But is it remotely in the same league as Dawn Of War? No. Of course it isn't.

There is simply no urgency in turn based combat. No sense that you are IN combat and must make decisions fast to save the lives of your people. You could wander off down the pub without even pausing the game and nothing would have changed when you get back.

That total lack of urgency and ability to think out every move for as long as you wish obviously appeals to a number of people on here. It does not appeal to me, and especially not when attached to an RPG.

Does anyone really want to see those little one-hit encounters with an action point system in combat? Four turns and one hit to kill a Bite Bug or whatever? Can anyone truly and honestly say they would love that?

Please click the banner...
veteran
veteran
Well, the video on the website shows a bit of combat. They summon an ice elemental which is quickly destroyed, leaving some ice on the ground. Then they cast a fireball on the ice in order to melt it and finally hurl a lightning bolt at the water which kills both opponents standing in it.

For me, it seems natural to choose turn-based combat if you want a system that can do this. It would be possible with real-time combat and an active pause as well, but if you'd be pausing the game a lot anyway, I think it's better to go for turn-based combat to start with.

Yes, it disrupts the flow of the game, but so does reading the available dialogue options and choosing one. Or opening a window with available loot and picking the items you want to take. It doesn't bother me. And I think combat looks very promising in the video - much better than anything I've seen in a long time.

old hand
old hand
The more I think about, and especially after seeing some video footage, the more I like the turn-based combat. There is now an entire party to control. For the same reasons as Lurker gives just above me. My Baldur's Gate settings were always, auto-pause on being attacked, auto pause on enemy entering screen, auto-pause on spell complete,... . Making it basically a turnbased game (go figure, behind the scenes its all dices being thrown). And it looks D:OS is also having a pretty complex combat variety, with spell combo's and lots of skills. Requiring to assess the situation and react on it.

And its also not the turn-based combat with tiles it seems. And turn-based is not necissarily a fight for hours where the simplest creature takes 5 hits but you miss so often. World is not only black and white.

And yet again, there is a plethora of RPG's with realtime combat, so still more then enough to chose from. And this one can bring some nice change on that aspect.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by pall
Relax, it's still couple of months before they will end developing Orginal Sin. While i like turn based combat there is possibility that they will add real time with pause option if they decide so.

Q2 of 2013 is not "couple of months". Just sayin.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Orchestrion
Turn based is bad. It's tipped the balance from 'get' to 'not get' on a few games for me that might otherwise have been tempting.

...But turn based has the possibility of REALLY boring!).

I'm curious whenever someone says something along these lines - can you give some examples of turn-based games you found really boring? and for what reasons? Not that I disagree with you in some cases, often when it comes to, say, non dungeon-crawler JRPG turn-based combat, but obviously we're talking about different beasts here.

King's Bounty -.- after a few weeks I couldn't stand the game anymore frown which was a pitty..but I'm hoping larian does it a WHOLE lot better

"Dwelfusius | Were-axlotl of Original Sin"

Hardcorus RPGus PCus Extremus
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by AlrikFassbauer
In my case it is always so that "real time with pause" always creates the impression to me - and I' putting it as an extreme here - "real time with some sort of something that remotely looks like turn-based tacked on".

My biggest problem I have with "real time with pause" is tht it *always* defaults in an real-time combat for me. And I assume that for approx. 70% of all players it is so as well. That's why I dislike it. It always goves me the feeling of "something looking like TB being tacked on" - simply because it always *defaults* for action-combat to me.

Personally, I would really like to see see a poll or other play data on how many people in such a game actually use the "pause" feature.

And I have the impression of "real time with pause" not feeling like turb-based. It's just an impression, a feeling I always get. Because the game is designed differently, then.

It begins with the start o any combat. Everything is usually fast-paced within the combat - only to be "hindered" by a pause. The animations are faster than in the TB games I remember.

The pause feels rather like an interruption, and not as being imprelented by design, to me.

erm..have you played DD? Because if you have I'm wondering what you did dif. than me because I used the pause A LOT, and loved it BTW...killing a superoverpowered (for your lvl anyway) boss by freezing him and pausing so u can attack before he unfreezes and whacks you with one hit ^^ heavenly

"Dwelfusius | Were-axlotl of Original Sin"

Hardcorus RPGus PCus Extremus
old hand
old hand
yeah, im with dwelfius. I did pause a lot with DivDiv, and most DnD games like Baldurs Gate 1&2, planescape,... . It is almost necessary at higher difficulties, or you just need more reflexes, but I dont have those :D, it causes me to misclick things.
I'm more someone who likes to plan attacks and skills. But then again, I also adore Turn based strategy games like Age of Wonders

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard