Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
It seems that the game is tougher that way.

For some reason, I feel guilty to ever use it! I just do...

Click below for a Divine Divinity Walthrough (Warriors only!!):

https://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=458919#Post458919
Duchess of Gorgombert
Duchess of Gorgombert
I never used it. Partly because I figured I'd made my choices and should live with them... but mostly because I'm far too indecisive to do it all over again!

J'aime le fromage.
veteran
veteran
I've mostly do 1 skill reset per playthrough, but with my current Warrior Priest I'm planning NOT to do a reset at all and like Vometia said :
I made my choices and live with them as a part of a rollplay rule !

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
I've never used them because, early in the game, I already study the skills that I want for my ultimate build. I simply refuse to invest skill points in things that are not necessary, which kind of makes the whole thing a little tougher for me because things get stricter in during the early parts of the game.

https://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=458919#Post458919
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Honestly, the first time I realized that the game had a skill reset option, I felt robbed. It was my first playthrough and Broken Valley felt like hell. I was saving my skill points for the higher level spells, only to realize how unnecessary that was because of the reset...

And then ever since, I just got the habit of never using the reset. But I can definitely imagine how easier it would be to have such freedom when you are in Broken Valley.

apprentice
apprentice
I've never used it in 2 playthroughs. I think it makes it more realistic and challenging if you have to learn from your mistakes.Some skills are better than others but you need to learn that through experience. Many walkthroughs give you tips about character creation but I prefer to create my own character, flaws and all, rather than rely entirely on what someone else thinks is a good build, although I have gotten a few good tips here, like the value of a few Priest skills.

veteran
veteran
I always end up using the reset at least once. Even my most recent playthrough, where I cleverly planned out exactly how many attribute points I'd spend, I forgot which skills the Order of the Viper set boosted and I had to reallocate my skills.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I allways use it once : just after taking control of the Battle Tower, before entering the Orobas Fjords.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Never used it

By fire and by blood I join with thee in the Order of the Flame!

Arokh's Lair - Drakan & Severance: Blade of Darkness forums - https://www.arokhslair.net

apprentice
apprentice
never felt the need and I don't like the idea so I haven't even tried it smile

I used once for my first mage ^_^

I understand why so much people finds this feature like some kind of cheat, but I like it. The increasing amount of gold seems a fair penalty to me.

The first time you play you can't possibly fathom how the high level skills would work. You have a certain idea, but you need to try it to really understand its usefulness.

I was no longer squeamish about using it during my last playthrough.

At one time I did feel a bit robbed, just like viktoricus, I held back skill points until my desired skill is unlocked at higher levels.

During my last play, I approached the game with a different mentality. I may have committed a terrible sin in the eyes of most of the posters above lol

What I did when I played taking the skill reset as part of the game design:

* Made specific checkpoints where I will reset my skills

* Specifically planned different builds leading up to each checkpoint. Okay I'll give the details on this one: Played as ranger/priest early in the game, played as ranger/mage, went for ranger/warrior (with heal), final build is ranger/warrior without heal. So, four resets listed means: 10K, 20K, 40K, 80K expenses IIRC.
Other details: I placed points in mindread and wisdom (iirc, the skill giving bonus experience points) with the intent of reallocating those points to damage skills before the final boss fight.

I understand the sentiments above. However, at some point, I thought, "If you placed it in the game, then I'll treat it as part of the game".

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by J747L

I understand the sentiments above. However, at some point, I thought, "If you placed it in the game, then I'll treat it as part of the game".

Yeah, I can follow you thoughts wink
It's all or nothing : no reset or 1 or more resets for "tactical" reasons like you mentioned changing your build via taking other skills ... up

smile

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
veteran
veteran
I'm an oldschool RPG'er... so once you pick a skill... it's set.

No reset.
Don't recall ever using it even in games where it is possible.

stranger
stranger
I had to use it on my priest because I didn't realize I can only have one summon at a time. It was just to respend the one point I spent on the Summon Ghost skill, otherwise everything stayed the same.

Typically, I don't use it. Not for any roleplaying reasons, I'm just not a min/maxer by nature. It's cool it's an option though.

Support
Support

Welcome to the forum. wave

In D2:ED I learned the skill to increase the inventory capacity, and a couple other things I reset once I was able. In DKS I had a much better idea of what I should keep, but still invested in some skills early in the game which were mostly superseded by more effective skills later, so reset for that character, as well (even though I didn't actually need to get back those skill points, with some in reserve for most of the game). I probably will not reset skills with my next character.

stranger
stranger
Thanks for the welcome! thankyou

Yeah, it seems I've had a surplus of skill points since level 20 on my level 33 Ranger. I always seem to have 10 skill points saved over. I like to keep my skills limited to the amount of hot keys on the 360, so I only have 4 active skills that I am increasing. It also serves to make the game a little tougher.

I think with my newer character, I might not use skill point books. See how that works.

Support
Support

With my ranger in DKS I had the main skills assigned to the 4 buttons, and Healing / summon creature / dragon stone / dragon morph stone assigned to the D-pad directions. Eventually I changed the summon creature hotkey to something else, and just used the crystal skull from the pause item menu (and also paused the game to cast Way of the Ranger, which I tried for the first time on level 40, after buying a bow with that bonus).

stranger
stranger
Man, I couldn't imagine doing some of these Demon Fortresses without Way of the Ranger. It's saved my life more than a couple of times. I got Way of the Ranger on the left d-pad, along with the transport, dragon morph, and creature. Weapon/Explosive Arrow/Splitting Arrow/Healing on the ABCD keys, respectively. It's worked pretty well so far.

But, yeah, Way of the Ranger kicks some serious butt.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Salem30
I had to use it on my priest because I didn't realize I can only have one summon at a time. It was just to respend the one point I spent on the Summon Ghost skill, otherwise everything stayed the same.

Typically, I don't use it. Not for any roleplaying reasons, I'm just not a min/maxer by nature. It's cool it's an option though.

That's right, you can have only 1 summon at the time.
I prefer the Ghost above all other summons. Then I don't really need the Healing spell. But in a previous playthrough I invested in the Ghost and the Undead and switched between them in battle.

For the summons I use the "pause menu" to select this skill and use it. Never put them on the D-pad or the other controller buttons. Why not? Because I'm sometimes to confused and while in battle press the wrong buttons so the summon disappear many times after I just activated it :hihi: ... With my Creature I do the same: "pause" and select it ... I know it's more "work" ... but it's many more annoying pushing a wrong button so my fresh summonned ally disappeared while the battel just begins frown !
That's me :hihi:

For tactical reasons I like it to do a skill reset, something like Raze mentioned wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard