Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
journeyman
journeyman
The main note of the day There is a BIG difference between defense and distraction! And monster and hard enemies don't give a damn about distraction!

Death and glory!
veteran
veteran
but in the first games Larian made they were sensible about "female" armor

You mean you managed to miss title scree/cover art with almost naked pretty angel?Consider goggles :3

journeyman
journeyman
Mate the look of the armor on females in divine divinity and beyond was hardly different from that of the men, you must be mistaking the way the unarmored fighter looks in the divine divinity hero selection. But put her in armor and she looks battle ready!
I would like to see female warriors looking like this [Linked Image]
And if this isnt evocative enough not even mages or rogues would be suicidal enough to wear inadequate attire!
Here is one more dragon age image, [Linked Image]
dragon age did things right
If you need more proper examples here is Joan of Arc [Linked Image]
And one more thing, Larian changed the title screen art for Divinity Original sin because it looked sexist! Well why in gods name is the in game armor sexist! I dont want arrows and swords in my female party members chest, nor do I want every one else staring at her. Seriously Larian!
And now for the most recent female armor that is practical fellow game developer Aterdux [Linked Image] Now that is a proper female ranger!

Death and glory!
enthusiast
enthusiast
Dragon Age didn't do things right in my opinion but whtever. Too freaking over the top.

Look it stands to reason...You can't eat 'cos you don't have a stomach!
journeyman
journeyman
Hey even Riot who makes the most booby women in games bothered to make one of their heroines a set of sensible armor im referring to Sejuani. http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/04/04/thank-you-lols-sejuani-gets-sensible-redesign/
[Linked Image]
So come on Larian get serious make us some nice proper female armor we are tired of the fantasy bs!

Last edited by Marius Voinescu; 01/02/14 08:17 PM.

Death and glory!
M
stranger
stranger
M
I much prefer Armored Bikini as being more realistic and visually pleasing than full plate which the chestpiece alone from Divine Divinity weighed 300 pounds in game. What a load!

enthusiast
enthusiast
It weighed '300 units', who knows how much it actually weighed. Your boots could weigh 120 pounds if you go by that wink

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Marius Voinescu
we are tired of the fantasy bs!

we

we

We have an official speaker for the whole community. Isn't that amazing.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Kein

We have an official speaker for the whole community. Isn't that amazing.

Honestly bro don't We the gaming community have enough stupid mmo's that do this? Must we have it in a quality rpg that wants to be special? No you all either want women to look like you could screw them at any moment of the day even on the battle field, or you could use them as a real meat shield.
Pardon me for being harsh but in my mind this is cruel to women, who won't be able to even look at their character and its cruel that developers even pander to gamers who are so obsessed they HAVE to have this as a feature.
You consider this is apropriate ??? [Linked Image] Do you pity the game does not show you how brutal a death this sort of "heroine" would meet!
I may never even make a female hero for my party in DOS, or even allow one to join unless Larian bothers to at least make a few appropriate female outfits! But the fact they did not consider making armor look like armor on women from the start worries me. NUFF SAID!
[Linked Image]
I forget ofc that is hard to make everyone happy, but im my mind and I am sure im not alone there is a sheer lack of proper fantasy armor for women!

Last edited by Marius Voinescu; 02/02/14 06:57 AM.

Death and glory!
journeyman
journeyman
Does any one remember this game? [Linked Image]
Probably not since every one forgot how to make proper female armor when mmo's made fantasy bimbo armor so damn popular.

Death and glory!
journeyman
journeyman
Calm down a little bit wink

My two cents to this Topic:

I often read arguments about "realism" (regarding to weight and how armor work). Keep in mind this is a game. Even if you keep "magic" aside, there ere lot "unrealistic" behaviors. For excample, there are no ugly people or even people of different age ...
All citizens of ceicile are mid-aged, with an estimated "perfect" body (no handicaps, not to heavy ...)

A game world is a idealized world, cause of lack of money/time, they is far away from being realistic, arguing with realism is a little bit weird wink

"Correct" Female armor is (imho) more a matter of style/expectations. If i run through the deepest forest or coldest mountains, would i expect a woman dressed in underwear and stilettos? (I know there there are pictures to prof it's possible, but i think it's rather unusual :D)

If a game (especially the content-less modern MMO) advertise with such Girl-Images, everybody know why. even if you have such armor Ingame it's more ore less worthless, cause a good player choose the gear by stats not by look. So it's simply an eyecandy.

If i want to see "eyecandies" dressed in underwear (or even without this) in HighRes and with a high PolygonCount, i know better sources than rpg-games :p (mostly without sexism-debates...)

So in conclusion: the style of the (Fe)Male-Armor should match into the scenario and to the expectations. DOS doing an already good job in this. At least with the last Alpha Release the armor looks very identify-able (you can identify the difference between plate, leather, cloth and a heavy armored gear is identify-able from a long distance) to me. Only the stilettos are a little bit weird :p

PS: i didn't even notice the differense in the Loading screen (even with the started debate here). Only after someone pointed to the detail i get it. So don't count to much on this topic ...

Last edited by Raptor 2101; 02/02/14 08:23 AM.
veteran
veteran
We the gaming community

You, "gaming community", has the choice to ignore stuff you don't like. Just like everyone else, every normal human being.
[Linked Image]

The fact that you don't like something means only that you don't like something. Simple as that.

journeyman
journeyman
I appreciate your reasoning mate, I can live and let live if people want some pure fantasy metal bikini fine, but at least have some reasonable outfits for people who want them. This is my biggest fear... [Linked Image]
I personally would like to see armor more like this [Linked Image]
Or have a mage like this [Linked Image] I want to play a evil knight protecting a equally evil witch, and if Larian made a set of cloths like this id be extremely happy. I could hardly find any female mage pics that didnt look overly sexualized frown

Death and glory!
journeyman
journeyman
@Marius Voinescu: please put your images in boxes (or spoiler tags) your text is hard to read, cause of the jumping text-line

I want to play a evil knight protecting a equally evil witch, and if Larian made a set of cloths like this id be extremely happy. I could hardly find any female mage pics that didnt look overly sexualized frown

This leads to another endless discussion, like the one why nearly any fantasy female warrior looking like a barbie who would nearly unable to lift the long two-hand sword...

I appreciate your reasoning mate, I can live and let live if people want some pure fantasy metal bikini fine, but at least have some reasonable outfits for people who want them. This is my biggest fear...

Your Picture shows the central point of this topic: in a fantasy game, there is no relation between the appearance/shape/material of an (so called) armor and its stats. To make it extream, there could easily be an "invisible unbreakable armor" (make a picture your own :D) in the game and its just "fine" in "fantasy logic"-way. It simply "magic".

As soon as this fact is accepted, there appearance/look of an armor is only choosen by the designer for some reasons. This leads to the question what reasons are meet by "armor design":
  • Primary target for (ingame) Bikini-Armors (and the only reasons why my "invisible unbreakable armor" would never happen are prudish american market ;)) are young boys. I can't figure out another target. In all RPGs i know, you see your character from above (isometric like fallout, BG2, JA2), from behind (third person like wow, and all other grinders...) or never, cause its an first person view (like oblivion). So in the best case (3rd person) you see the naked back and butt ... all the time (during fight)... very uhm ... don't know, i don't get it.

I think it's simply the old way of owning a pretty nice/sexy looking doll.

In DOS the Characters are not that present (iso-view, multiple characters under player control) and not that high polished (low polygon-count) so i think we can rule out this point for DOS.
  • A main goal for handing out Armor (and any other item) to the player is: be a reward. If any armor in the game is a bikini armor, you only have a few options to make a difference. As written above, in real you have no chance to make a difference, cause the player is unable to see the armor. But if you have the "full body armor" aka "walking tank" you can make a difference and the new item can look a lot more different than the old one.

Additionally: if there are a few count of bikini armors in the game, it's completely vice versa. Like in reality, then you have your "special dress for the special moment"
  • But (imho) the most important reason for armors are: show progression. In a good RPG you can face an character and easily predict what level he has, what kind of armor stats to expect and simply answer the question (pvp): I'am able to stand my ground or should i run?

With Bikini Armors "in mind", the question might be another on, but at the end you're unable the notice any progress. From the distance the characters looks always the same: naked

veteran
veteran
I personally would like to see armor more like this

Feel free to mod the game, then, it is very open to modding.

journeyman
journeyman
Ok fine make the armor fantasy but make it fair, make the men look naked to!
And if you want real examples of good fantasy armor for women here are some more.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
My best and imba argument is that even in a fantasy setting armor must protect the body not make you look like a naked fool! I understand progression and even having low level armor look silly is just bad! And spare me the nonsense about invisible armor, or magic. If magic would be so strong armor would be irrelevant.

At least if Larian really reads all these posts they would see some proper images of fantasy armor and get creative not follow the normal trends in video games frown

Death and glory!
journeyman
journeyman

At least if Larian really reads all these posts they would see some proper images of fantasy armor and get creative not follow the normal trends in video games frown

Larian has already chosen a different way. Ingame (playing the alpha) the (female) armor style looks quite realistic and descent

veteran
veteran
Like they had a choice with all of this crap. So much for development freedom. I'm eagerly awaiting what will be next target.

Last edited by Kein; 02/02/14 01:50 PM.
old hand
old hand
Hum. Amusing.

veteran
veteran
Magical clothing items, such a bikini in the case of this topic, provide far greater protection than any physically tough shielding. Doesn't matter if you somehow manage to get armor as tough as a five foot thick titanium wall, magic-based protection always trumps BS armor.

Beyond that you also get a far better game experience with normal clothing instead of walking cans....oh look another wannabe can, let me cook it for a bit.

Let there be bikini.

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Link Copied to Clipboard