Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
meme #461620 31/03/13 06:02 PM
Support
Support

The original GOG release (1.004) had some additional fixes and changes compared to the disk version of DD, but introduced a serious new bug. That was fixed in an update (1.005), but the changes and some of the bug fixes in the disk version patches were lost. In terms of bug fixes the Steam version and current GOG version (1.006) are pretty much the same as the previous GOG version. See here and the following few posts.

Stabbey #461623 31/03/13 06:14 PM
veteran
veteran
Not sure how is this related, though. It is hard to confuse screenshots above with DD.

Raze #461628 01/04/13 11:53 AM
old hand
old hand
Thanks Raze.

Originally Posted by Raze

The original GOG release (1.004) had some additional fixes and changes compared to the disk version of DD, but introduced a serious new bug. That was fixed in an update (1.005), but the changes and some of the bug fixes in the disk version patches were lost. In terms of bug fixes the Steam version and current GOG version (1.006) are pretty much the same as the previous GOG version. See here and the following few posts.

Kein #461629 01/04/13 11:54 AM
old hand
old hand
It's not; I was reading the kickstart comments and then jumped into the middle of this thread and was still er distracted by the comments on DD over there; or another way to phrase it i didn't make a clean transition when switching threads.

Originally Posted by Kein
Not sure how is this related, though. It is hard to confuse screenshots above with DD.

meme #461676 02/04/13 09:57 AM
enthusiast
enthusiast
TL;DR - I didn't like the graphics at first, now I love them. I'm happy but would like to echo Xodetaetl's concerns and request that these are taken into consideration, hopefully resulting in graphics options.

When I first saw Original Sin in that announcement video I was actually really put off by the graphical style (too bright and cartoony) and also by the cover-art (too gaudy and commercial). It was only because I had an open mind and came back to it later as new info emerged that I came to appreciate all it has to offer. It was reassuring to hear that the lighting and what not was being worked on, and lo and behold later screenshots and footage showed some really sweet scenes that hooked me in graphics-wise. Now I'm pretty much taken by Original Sin's aesthetics; I feel they really suit the style of the game, they're beautiful and elegant and work well in a variety of environments.

So while I was initially a Chaos Chronicles graphics kind of person (when it comes to 3D), now I am really, really, really, happy to look forward to both games because they each offer something different that I want. I have my Chaos Chronicles for my more realistic, DnD-esque feeling adventures and my Original Sin for my more light-hearted and wonderfully amusing epic high fantasy romp of reactivity awesome.

I am pleased to hear that the aesthetics are going to receive still more attention and polish, because the game already looks pretty damn good. I would however like to echo Xodetaetl's concerns. I'm not technically knowledgeable regarding graphics, however the 'green washed tint' is noticeable in many screenshots and footage (yet not at all in others to my eyes). I understand it's all WIP, so I would simply add my voice to the request that Larian please take our concerns into account here. It would be reassuring to hear Larian speak more of their intentions along these lines.

Of course it can be difficult, if not impossible to please everyone. The screenshot fixes in the OP are a little too strong in the other direction for me personally, so I'm happy to hear Kein speak of offering graphics options. Oh how we gamers love options. Options to adjust the graphics to our liking would be the best of all.

"Love one another and you will be happy. It's as simple and as difficult as that" - Leunig
Robcat #461734 02/04/13 10:21 PM
X
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
X
Have my praise Larianites, for improving the interface in that last update vid. You're headed right!

Xodetaetl #461919 04/04/13 10:29 PM
old hand
old hand
Hmmm...Bellegar? Don't you have some trolling to do?

Last edited by Demonic; 04/04/13 10:29 PM.
Demonic #463170 18/04/13 03:11 PM
old hand
old hand

Tweeting @forktong
ForkTong #463173 18/04/13 03:27 PM
addict
addict
Awesome. Merci beaucoup, Xodetaetl! laugh

Ah, the memories... this reminds me of the time before, when Divine Divinity was still called "Divinity: The Sword of Lies" and Project C before that, when I used to stare at simple screenshots for hours (and take them apart). It's starting to look really atmospheric now.

Do You Like Dreams?
Arhu #463176 18/04/13 04:21 PM
A
stranger
stranger
A
Not a fan of the changes and I'd really like if you guys offered graphics settings that made the game look like the "before" screens.

AstroZombie #463179 18/04/13 04:54 PM
Support
Support

I'm all for exposing as many graphics options as are reasonable to be able to adjust.
Getting rid of the slight green tint was good, but IMNSHO only a minor increase in contrast was required. In cave A, for example, in the after shot most of the visual information about the path the characters are on is lost: depth (where is starts leading down), width (exactly where the path stops and the stalagmites begin) and just details in general.

Welcome to the forum. wave

ForkTong #463182 18/04/13 05:40 PM
journeyman
journeyman

Estrogen #463185 18/04/13 05:58 PM
R
stranger
stranger
R
Hello all.
IMHO the contrast increase is too much. You lost all the grittiness by making the colors more vivid.
I think that the adjustment needs to be toned down. If you look at the Church images for example, the after one is to violent on the eyes. It's difficult to focus on what matters. The shadows are much too strong.

However, I also think that the characters are too well blended into the environment. While I would dial down the adjustment of the environment (while still getting rid of the green tint), I would probably keep the new contrast for the characters if at all possible.

Looking forward to the game!

rikkles #463234 19/04/13 01:06 AM
O
stranger
stranger
O
I love the new contrast you debuted in the Kickstarter update. It makes everything pop out and it looks more detailed. I'm sure you'll keep working it until it's just right.

I love what I'm seeing so far! Can't wait for the game!

Last edited by orangedragon13; 19/04/13 01:07 AM.
orangedragon13 #463242 19/04/13 07:06 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by orangedragon13
I love the new contrast you debuted in the Kickstarter update. It makes everything pop out and it looks more detailed. I'm sure you'll keep working it until it's just right.

I love what I'm seeing so far! Can't wait for the game!

And for me the same !

I like more the "After" than the before screenshots, but if it afterwards change back to the "Before" ... no problem with that ...

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
Joram #463247 19/04/13 08:23 AM
stranger
stranger
I like both the before and after shots. Gotta say, i don't really care that much either way. smile

rikkles #463278 19/04/13 04:25 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by rikkles
Hello all.
IMHO the contrast increase is too much. You lost all the grittiness by making the colors more vivid.
I think that the adjustment needs to be toned down. If you look at the Church images for example, the after one is to violent on the eyes. It's difficult to focus on what matters. The shadows are much too strong.

However, I also think that the characters are too well blended into the environment. While I would dial down the adjustment of the environment (while still getting rid of the green tint), I would probably keep the new contrast for the characters if at all possible.

Looking forward to the game!

I'd also like to point out that the after images are going to make it harder for some of us to spot stuff on the ground. I do hope the ability to highlight stuff from DD will be in DOS.

(for those wondering, yes, I am "that guy" from the Obsidian forums ;))

* as usual this is imho (unless stated otherwise); feel free to disagree, ignore or try to change my mind. Agreeing with me is ofc also allowed, but makes for much worse flamewarsarguments.

It is a full moon night and ... bèèè! ... the Weresheep are out...
theBlackDragon #463281 19/04/13 05:21 PM
veteran
veteran
The ability to highlight stuff on the ground is already in.

Stabbey #463285 19/04/13 06:13 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Stabbey
The ability to highlight stuff on the ground is already in.

Thanks for the confirmation! I suspected as much, wouldn't have made much sense to suddenly remove it, but better safe than sorry and all that...

And I sure hope they're not planning on putting red pentagrams on a reddish/brown (I think) background again... wink

* as usual this is imho (unless stated otherwise); feel free to disagree, ignore or try to change my mind. Agreeing with me is ofc also allowed, but makes for much worse flamewarsarguments.

It is a full moon night and ... bèèè! ... the Weresheep are out...
theBlackDragon #463295 19/04/13 06:51 PM
journeyman
journeyman
I've played a few PC games where there are named presets for colour balance, like "Vibrant", "Muted", and so on. I can't think of any examples, though, apart from LA Noire having the option to play the game in black and white (which is kind of different anyway). But yeah, this seems like it'd be relatively easy to do. Just create a few presets, or even put in some sliders and let us create our own.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard