Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#461766 03/04/13 12:16 PM
Joined: Apr 2013
P
Pikosil Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Joined: Apr 2013
Hi, I just saw your game on kickstarter and I am worried about something, primarily because of your promotional art.

I really hate females in any game because it totally breaks the immersion, it's like being forced in real life to cross-dress. I never even considered buying Tomb Raider because of that.

So, will any class, ability, quest or anything at all be gender locked?
I don't even want to be forced to have a female companion.

Last edited by Pikosil; 03/04/13 12:24 PM.
Pikosil #461767 03/04/13 12:32 PM
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Serbia
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Serbia
Whole story concept is about a male and female apprentices, so it is an essential part of a story. You will have one male and one female charachter to role-play simultaneously.

Also, i don't really quite understand you attitude toward a female charachters, why you hate them smile

Last edited by Sawovsky; 03/04/13 12:33 PM.
Joined: Apr 2013
P
Pikosil Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Joined: Apr 2013
Originally Posted by Sawovsky
Whole story concept is about a male and female apprentices, so it is an essential part of a story. You will have one male and one female charachter to role-play simultaneously.


Oh crap, that's really bad news, pretty much ruined it for me.

I really wish developers would stop pandering to vulgar sexuality and heteronormativity already.
Overwhelming majority of gamers are male and only 18% played as female Shepard in Mass Effect 3, which was the most mainstream marketed game ever. Can't they take a hint from raw data already?

P.S.
I quite clearly explained why I hate them in the opening post, can't you read?

Last edited by Pikosil; 03/04/13 12:50 PM.
Pikosil #461772 03/04/13 01:02 PM
Joined: Jan 2009
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Jan 2009
Larian has just said on the Kickstarter comments that they are going to try and work on having two characters of the same gender as the player characters.

But it will not kill you to play as a woman. I'm a man and I have played a female character in many an RPG, and I while playing, not once have I ever felt the urge to braid my hair and listen to boy bands.


I'll probably stick to the male-female pairing for all my playthroughs, but if Larian does implement same-gender pairings, I hope they take that into account for the endings. I can't imagine how people too uptight to play a girl would react if they get the maximum affinity option and are forced into being gay lovers!

EDIT: To clarify, I hope that the maximum affinity ending allows you to choose whether you meant best friends or lovers, regardless of gender.

Last edited by Stabbey; 03/04/13 01:57 PM. Reason: clarification
Pikosil #461773 03/04/13 01:05 PM
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Serbia
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Serbia
Originally Posted by Pikosil


P.S.
I quite clearly explained why I hate them in the opening post, can't you read?


Yes, but I don't understand the animosity it self, if you understand me wink

It is not that we role-play random costum made charachters and you are forsed to play only females. This is a story about two particular charachters, which happen to be male and female.

Last edited by Sawovsky; 03/04/13 01:06 PM.
Pikosil #461775 03/04/13 01:33 PM
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Spain
member
Offline
member
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Spain
I think that the idea of the player being directly identified with his/her alter ego in the game is, simply put, false.

So, you have a problem identifying yourself with a woman but not a single one with a character who kills people, monsters, and is capable of casting blizzards?

The relation between players and game characters is not as much identification as mere control.

Long history short: I think you simply have some kind of prejudice.

Pikosil #461777 03/04/13 01:42 PM
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Ireland
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Ireland
Originally Posted by Pikosil
[quote=Sawovsky]Overwhelming majority of gamers are male and only 18% played as female Shepard in Mass Effect 3, which was the most mainstream marketed game ever. Can't they take a hint from raw data already?

Take a hint from the raw data? You already mentioned Tomb Raider, while you may not play it, it is one of the most popular franchise's ever, so from that "raw data" forced female characters don't sound terrible.

Also 18% is not insignificant, if those 18% of gamers decided not to play the game because they had to be male that would be a lot of sales losses. And Mass Effect is very mainstream and has a different target audience. Perhaps an fantasy RPG would be a better comparison. 54% of hardcore Diablo III players chose a female character (source) so going by "raw data" it would be ridiculous to not allow them.

I know your argument is not to force them rather than disallow them completely but your data argument is flawed. And when you've two characters I don't think it's that bad, you can still focus on the male one.

moktira #461779 03/04/13 02:11 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Soviet Empire
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Soviet Empire
Quote
Larian has just said on the Kickstarter comments that they are going to try and work on having two characters of the same gender as the player characters.


Jesus
f
Christ

First sexism (dumbed aesthetics), now this (dumbed down, genderless dialogues for main character? what else?). I wish Larian had guts to shoo away such people, they are like crows feasting on game, tearing it apart and making it mediocre, "politically correct, taking away everything that makes core idea and setting unique, interesting, well-thought developed.

Sometimes, being TOO open with fans causes more damage then advantage. Who gave these people idea that if you are a backer you can DICTATE how developers should make THEIR game? I wonder if they even know that game is pretty much made and would be released even without KS.

I'm losing fate aready.

Pikosil #461783 03/04/13 02:36 PM
Joined: Jul 2012
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Jul 2012
Originally Posted by Pikosil
Originally Posted by Sawovsky
Whole story concept is about a male and female apprentices, so it is an essential part of a story. You will have one male and one female charachter to role-play simultaneously.


Oh crap, that's really bad news, pretty much ruined it for me.

I really wish developers would stop pandering to vulgar sexuality and heteronormativity already.
Overwhelming majority of gamers are male and only 18% played as female Shepard in Mass Effect 3, which was the most mainstream marketed game ever. Can't they take a hint from raw data already?


Have you played the game already?! Surely the entire story and gameplay mechanics are automatically ruined since there's a woman in your PARTY of protagonists.

And it doesn't mean that you're a dude you're only going to play games which star male protagonists. Do we really have to sum up some of the great games which feature female protagonists?

Of course there aren't THAT many, mostly because of the likes of you who aren't open-minded enough to even take a look at a game which differs from their pre-set demands for games in general. I applaud Larian and other devs who try and mix things up a bit.

I, for one, am sick of seeing a Marcus Phoenix, Kratos and Sam freaking Fisher bald headed tough guys claiming the shelves of video game stores.


(Disclaimer: I don't hate balding male protagonists. There's just been too many of them in recent years)

Last edited by Rod Lightning; 03/04/13 02:39 PM.

Look it stands to reason...You can't eat 'cos you don't have a stomach!
Kein #461785 03/04/13 02:50 PM
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: UK
stranger
Offline
stranger
Joined: Jun 2012
Location: UK
Sex/gender doesn't have any affect on the decisions I would make as myself and I believe playing as a character of different sex/gender doesn't really affect your identity or personality. I can understand if you have a preference although not wanting to specifically ever play a female is beyond me. That being said, I am not 100% sure but I think with AI you only will only have to control one character.

Last edited by theNILE; 03/04/13 02:54 PM.
theNILE #461786 03/04/13 02:58 PM
Joined: Jun 2003
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Jun 2003
My main guess that only 18% of people played female on ME3 is because they played the 1st and 2nd one with a male character (since you did not have a choice there). And people get attached, or it would break character changing sex suddenly after playing male for 50 hours or so.

theNILE #461788 03/04/13 03:21 PM
Joined: Oct 2004
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2004
You know there were similar issues with King bounty; in the first game you are a guy and some gals complain; then in the second game you are a gal and some guys complain and now in the third game you are a guy and some gals complain.
-
To be honest no matter what you do someone somewhere will complain. The thing is that if you are not complaining then the issue is minor but to the person who is complaining perhaps it is not so minor (I really can't tell because this is not an area I complain about). I do kind of hope that Larian does not nurf the humour and text due to this change but perhaps they have some clever trick up their sleves or perhaps they spend money creating two completely different set of texts based on gender of the person - i don't know what they have planned here but perhaps they will tell us and then we will know.

Joined: Oct 2004
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2004
This aspect is not true; you can play either male or female in ME1 and ME2. I know because having purchased ME3 recently I am replaying ME1 and ME2 so I can remember the story before ME3 and I am playing a different gender than I did the previous time (I can also say now that I am 20% into ME2 that ME1 is more fun with regards to game mechanics; even if ME2 is prettier but that is a different topic).


Originally Posted by Merendrious
My main guess that only 18% of people played female on ME3 is because they played the 1st and 2nd one with a male character (since you did not have a choice there). And people get attached, or it would break character changing sex suddenly after playing male for 50 hours or so.

meme #461794 03/04/13 04:08 PM
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Serbia
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Serbia
I don't know why we even discuss about such a trivial thing. If the game delivers first class quality when it comes to story, background lore, humor, design of the world and areas, have a tons of interesting quest, items and npc.. then neither I, neither do enyone should give a f*ck if we control even a goddamn transexual shemale orc who also did a bleaching treatment because he/she wants to be a human.

Last edited by Sawovsky; 03/04/13 04:13 PM.
Joined: Oct 2004
old hand
Offline
old hand
Joined: Oct 2004
I think in cdprojek new game they actually have one of those though I'm not sure if you get to control her.

Originally Posted by Sawovsky
I don't know why we even discuss about such a trivial thing. If the game delivers first class quality when it comes to story, background lore, humor, design of the world and areas, have a tons of interesting quest, items and npc.. then neither I, neither do enyone should give a f*ck if we control even a goddamn transexual shemale orc who also did a bleaching treatment because he/she wants to be a human.

Joined: Apr 2013
P
Pikosil Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Joined: Apr 2013
Originally Posted by Sawovsky
neither do enyone should give a f*ck if we control even a goddamn transexual shemale orc who also did a bleaching treatment because he/she wants to be a human.


Games are interactive entertainment, interactivity entails relatability. Different gender breaks away from that.
You could have already guessed it from 90% of games, the reason they have a male protagonist is that 90% of consumers of such entertainment are male.

This is really basic stuff people.

P.S.
Diablo 2 had gender locked classes and since Sorceress was the only mage of course people who wanted to play as mage were forced to do so. I myself didn't because it was, like I said, too immersion breaking.
There is nothing more basic than gender identity.

Pikosil #461811 03/04/13 07:16 PM
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Support
Offline
Support
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada

So a male magic user is perfectly relatable, despite the very premise of the magic in question being impossible, but if there are any feminine characteristics to an inch high avatar on your computer screen, that just defies any possibility of playing with that character. You can not even have a male inch high main character standing next to a female inch high party member / mercenary? It is not relatable that you could possibly work with a female?


I played a female character in Divinity 2 because I didn't really care for any of the male voices (while one female voice was good). I showed my brother the game, and when he saw me playing briefly some time later (with a few armour upgrades) he thought I had started over with a male character.

Raze #461813 03/04/13 07:59 PM
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Soviet Empire
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Soviet Empire
Quote
Games are interactive entertainment, interactivity entails relatability. Different gender breaks away from that.

[Linked Image]

Good lord you trying so hard that it looks like you are not even trying properly.
2/10 made me reply twice.

Pikosil #461814 03/04/13 08:14 PM
Joined: Jan 2009
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Jan 2009
Most people can manage to keep their gender identity intact even when playing as a character not of their own gender. This is why no one is understanding what your problem is.

You seem to have a problem separating yourself from a fictional mass of polygons. If your sense of identity is so fragile that you are unable to play otherwise good games because there might *GASP* be a GIRL in them, that is your own problem.


Originally Posted by Pikosil

I don't even want to be forced to have a female companion.


Seriously? Are you so hung up on this that you can't even play as the male if it means fictional interactions with a fictional female character?


Kein #461815 03/04/13 08:15 PM
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Spain
member
Offline
member
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Spain
Probably stating the obvious, but, it seems niceanold trolling to me.

I mean, it's pretty ridiculous.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5