Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Pikosil #461816 03/04/13 08:18 PM
stranger
stranger
And being able to control the actions of your party isn't immersion breaking? If you think about it any turn based game or game that gives you control over multiple characters can be argued as immersion breaking. The world operates in real time, and you can only control yourself, which is quite contrary to some games. Also RTS games have nothing people can relate to unless they were some general in the army, and even then generals won't relate to the fact their troops are replaced minutes after their previous units have perished. Most RTSs don't acknowledge gender either, and specifically say "Spend blah to train blah at blah. Blah is weak against blah, but are strong against blah. Their special ability is that they can blah."

You are the only person I have ever heard of to complain about an inclusion of a female PARTY member in a party based rpg. Even in Mass Effect you're forced to customize your female squad members along with their skills. Granted you weren't forced to make the character at the start of the game, but you were still forced to accept them into the squad.

If you have such a problem with the whole situation then:
A) don't continue arguing on the forums and leave, as the chance for your wish to remove the female protagonist will not come true, as the same sex alternative still involves you to control another main character's interactions. Divinity is attempting to put a twist to the norm of RPGs by having two main characters whose fates are parallel and intertwined, and if you don't like it, go play Skyrim. No one will miss you.

B) roleplay as the male character, which is what I plan on doing. Think of the female character as your vision of the perfect woman and use that as an excuse of covering her existence up.

C) don't role play at all and consider yourself more of a tactician or a narrator for the story

FATAL ERROR HAS OCCURRED!
Wiping hard drive and rebooting...

Please reinstall Windows.
Zerael #461817 03/04/13 08:32 PM
D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Personally I like the option to choose gender, because I wanted to play as it coming, but the second changing roles (the male resurrected and the female released from the prison). It is only a preference, not a condition. Also this game has a toolset, so there will be tons of mods to customize characters in any possible way!

Originally Posted by Pikosil
I really hate females in any game because it totally breaks the immersion, it's like being forced in real life to cross-dress. I never even considered buying Tomb Raider because of that.

I think this discussion has no point rather some kind of prejudice.

Female character doesn’t breaks any immersion more than you killing thousands of enemies and survive, there are no chance that someone can survive enough battles, no matter how strong he/she be, kill after kill breaks any immersion more than any other thing in a game.

I understand if you don’t like female characters, and that may be ‘valid’ to questioning Tomb Raider’s style games, but that is not enough to questioning a game like this, with one character of each gender.

Zerael #461818 03/04/13 08:33 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Zerael
Probably stating the obvious, but, it seems niceanold trolling to me.

I mean, it's pretty ridiculous.

indeed don't feed the troll.. I think he has mommy issues ^^

"Dwelfusius | Were-axlotl of Original Sin"

Hardcorus RPGus PCus Extremus
P
Pikosil Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Will the male character be able to have any abilities you want him to have?
Will you be at any time forced to only play as a female character for the sake of story?

This game looks too good to pass up so if the answer to those questions is yes and no I will back it up.

stranger
stranger
I don't believe he is a troll, because people with similar views exist, and I know them in person.

EDIT:
Will the male character be able to have any abilities you want him to have?
Will you be at any time forced to only play as a female character for the sake of story?

This game looks too good to pass up so if the answer to those questions is yes and no I will back it up.

You play as both characters all the time. What do you think happens when the combat starts? You actually play every party member. Every conversation can be argued as story based, and both characters can talk in those, if I'm not mistaken. They also said that the game isn't class restricted so I assume the male character can do whatever he wants, as well as the female character.

Also, judging by the OP, you don't seem to agree that this game is looking this good, especially since you made a post about your issue in the first place.

Last edited by Incompatibility; 03/04/13 08:43 PM.

enthusiast
enthusiast
You CAN try and play through the game using only ONE character (this, in your case, obviously being the male). But good luck with that as you probably won't get very far in combat.

Look it stands to reason...You can't eat 'cos you don't have a stomach!
stranger
stranger
Which is why he has to play both characters, because apparently they're the only ones who can wield the Source. I mean he could try to just spam henchmen and summons instead of that female character, but I think it would be like playing half the game and not getting the full experience.

old hand
old hand
No need to fight - if the KS is successful we'll introduce gender recognition & so cater for man/man, man/woman, woman/woman. It will for sure add to our workload but that's why we're doing the Kickstarter. And we'll take care not to dumb things down. As a matter of fact, we're seeking exactly the opposite smile

Lar_q #461827 03/04/13 10:20 PM
veteran
veteran
Thanks for the clarification, Larian.

It's always good to have more freedom and options, but I wouldn't have a problem with playing with a male and a female character or even only with a female character in co-op. wink

Personally, I think it could hurt some other goals/intentions if you try to go away from the male-female combination of your original concept. I would prefer a dialogue system with NPCs that depend on whether the female or the male character is talking to a certain NPC. And I really fear that the overall story will suffer by breaking up the male-female combination.

So, please only allow other combinations in the game if it's not at the costs of other important parts of the game. smile

WOOS
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by LordCrash

It's always good to have more freedom and options, but I wouldn't have a problem with playing with a male and a female character or even only with a female character in co-op. wink

Personally, I think it could hurt some other goals/intentions if you try to go away from the male-female combination of your original concept. I would prefer a dialogue system with NPCs that depend on whether the female or the male character is talking to a certain NPC. And I really fear that the overall story will suffer by breaking up the male-female combination.

So, please only allow other combinations in the game if it's not at the costs of other important parts of the game. smile

I agree 100%. I wish there was an upvote or like button.

Originally Posted by LordCrash

This. So much this.

Of course, it would be great if the options do not mean this kind of counterpart... but if not, better to keep the original sin idea.

Zerael #461842 04/04/13 03:54 AM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Lar_q
No need to fight - if the KS is successful we'll introduce gender recognition & so cater for man/man, man/woman, woman/woman. It will for sure add to our workload but that's why we're doing the Kickstarter. And we'll take care not to dumb things down. As a matter of fact, we're seeking exactly the opposite smile

Will you change all the concept/production art as well? The story pitch? Posters? If the game has no really dedicated concept (which was literally the first thing that was published about the game- small story bits about these two and some art, IIRC - they made the first impression) anymore about two characters -- male and female -- following their quest and destiny - such kind of promotion seems one-sides and useless, why aren't you promoting two males instead? There always will be another Pikosil to complain about it too.

Here goes my hope for some ironical slightly-romance dialogues between these two or gender-related references/jokes. And even if they will be there every time I will be think it is the same for all genders (as much as I believe in you - I don't believe such amount of pssible writing and scripting and latter testing work for all custom genders with actual differences in dialogues work can be done till november, consider this si not the only thing that needs to be worked on). It is impossible to please everyone - wasn't that mention on Lar.net not so long ago?

Zerael #461843 04/04/13 03:57 AM
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
No need to force the fairer sex on me, I dress up as a woman every night.

veteran
veteran
I must say I fully agree with Kein's opinion here !! (on his two posts in this topic)

Larians ? What's wrong with you all ? Drink more Dragon Beer and relax a day, let all the suggestions and ideas give more time to settle in your minds. Then new ideas will come up or disappear !
Please don't change the two protagonist's : male + female ! I like that idea so much !! Hope IF woman/womna or man/man is ONLY an OPTION I can make in the beginning starting a new game.
But I feel sad ... I better gonna play DD or DKS ! :hihi:

Please devs: better concentrate on other things to improve : humour, easter eggs, hidden things to discover, a good dialog-system and forget about just a few people complains about hating a male or female hero to play with ! Sorry to say, but you never can do make a RPG that everybody in the world wish to play, NEVER !! Don't try it, it's Mission Impossible !!

To be short :
Just BE the devs of Larian like you are since the time developing DD .

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
Joram #461854 04/04/13 08:10 AM
old hand
old hand
I thought the female/male protagonists would be fixed, too. But maybe the idea originally was to have multiple options but it wasn't possible due to budget/time constraints?

Joram #461855 04/04/13 08:49 AM
P
Pikosil Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Originally Posted by Joram

Please devs: better concentrate on other things to improve : humour, easter eggs, hidden things to discover, a good dialog-system and forget about just a few people complains about hating a male or female hero to play with ! Sorry to say, but you never can do make a RPG that everybody in the world wish to play, NEVER !! Don't try it, it's Mission Impossible !!

If the worst case scenario comes about(your scenario) and everything remains as it is I hope there won't be a forced romance. I just find it obnoxious and predictable.

Pikosil #461859 04/04/13 11:13 AM
veteran
veteran
Kein, I think you're worrying a bit much. There is no need for Larian to bother changing any conception/product art, or re-writing the Zandalor's diary journal entry.

I'm not sure if there will be much "flirting" dialogue between the party members before the ending is determined, and if there is places for that, it'll probably do a check for their personality profile compatibility anyway.

If the worst case scenario comes about(your scenario) and everything remains as it is I hope there won't be a forced romance. I just find it obnoxious and predictable.

What do you think the co-operative dialogue system is for? It builds a personality profile of the characters and their values, and that will determine their relationship at the end.

Zerael #461916 04/04/13 10:17 PM
old hand
old hand
I'm guessing the OP doesn't watch films with females in either or have anything to do with any media featuring females.

This OP has broken my immersion into this forum.

0/10

Last edited by Demonic; 04/04/13 10:21 PM.
Demonic #461917 04/04/13 10:27 PM
veteran
veteran
Personally, I consider the title of this topic quite inappropriate.

Why not "Forced males"? horsey

Last edited by LordCrash; 04/04/13 10:27 PM.

WOOS
old hand
old hand
Boobs.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard