Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
stranger
stranger
I think it's a great idea Indira and I don't think you necessarily have to wait for the editor to be released. Like many others I think a place to plot, plan and dream would be welcomed by potential modders. smile

OP Offline
It's great to see that so many of you are eager for the editor! Hopefully, it will mean heaps of wonderful adventures to come! smile

And now, having read the feedback from others here, I must agree that a subforum for modding before the editor's available probably would be the best thing to do. NWN!, NWN2, DAO and Skyrim all had modding forums up well in advance. Why? Well, modders have so much to chat about and discuss - dreams, strengths and weaknesses, concepts and design sheets, scripting and events, and life in general.

A subforum would do nothing but benefit Larian and their forums here.
*Fingers crossed*

I got Comment 33,333 at the legendary Larian KS for D:OS
addict
addict
It will be at least half a year till the game is released so if a new subforum opens now it will be useless for five months or so.

OP Offline
X-tasy: Larian said that the editor will be available during late Alpha, so that's like 4 months away, tops. And even if it won't get as much traffic as when the game releases, it is a very functional infrastructure for these forums to have. Surely, it can't be nothing but a good thing? smile

stranger
stranger
I have to say I am fascinated by the level of support they are giving us and the same tool they are using to make the game. I will definitely be playing with it....a lot. Whether I can actually do anything worthwhile is another story alltogether but I sure hope I can create some mods with it. smile

addict
addict
Originally Posted by Raze

StromIV;
Unfortunately the editor isn't going to be available until release (earlier they were at least considering the possibility of including it with the beta). I'm sure a subforum will be created when Larian starts to release more detailed information about it, but that could be awhile.

Where did you get the Late-Alpha info?

apprentice
apprentice
Even without the editor in our hands for months, the forum is there to collaborate and discuss the mods that people want to come up with. We have information about what we can do with the editor, and that gives people a lot to discuss about what is/isn't possible, and also ask questions about the editor. It is a central location for everything involving modding, without having all the talk cluttering up and getting lost in the general discussion forum.

OP Offline
@X-Tasy: It was from Swen or David, an official reply over at the KS comments section. smile

@StromIV: Precisely, it's very functional and neat too.

Last edited by Indira Weresheep; 27/04/13 12:14 PM.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by StromIV
Even without the editor in our hands for months, the forum is there to collaborate and discuss the mods that people want to come up with. We have information about what we can do with the editor, and that gives people a lot to discuss about what is/isn't possible, and also ask questions about the editor. It is a central location for everything involving modding, without having all the talk cluttering up and getting lost in the general discussion forum.

I was thinking of the community also making guides to using the editor as we figure out more complex tasks. This will speed the learning process for others and increase the amount of content made by the community. With this kind of support and a tool this powerful the potential of what can be done here is infinite.

OP Offline
@Darth Threthon: Well put. +1

apprentice
apprentice
Indira Obsidian Apex Weresheepcat of Sin on March 29
@Raymond: I'd like to know that as well, and if the editor in some form of the other is included.

Creator Larian Studios LLC on March 29
@Indira: We'll do one of the first areas of the game (quite large, don't worry). The editor will be phased in, perhaps even included right away. We'll have to see where we stand with development then, but I have good hopes.

Now, plans might have changed for the editor, but that is some info I found. A little dated. smile

Edit: And I couldn't figure out who Raymond was, so I couldn't find that original question.

Last edited by StromIV; 27/04/13 12:23 PM.
apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by Darth Threthon

I was thinking of the community also making guides to using the editor as we figure out more complex tasks. This will speed the learning process for others and increase the amount of content made by the community. With this kind of support and a tool this powerful the potential of what can be done here is infinite.

Yeah, I could see text and video guides popping up, and the subforum with a sticky thread would be a great place to put them all.

stranger
stranger
Well something wrecked in my profile. My username is jacked up but shows correctly when I go to "Edit My Profile" even though I can't change it. Don't understand how the extra "h" got in there but looks like I'll have to delete this profile and try again....if that's even possible.

[Linked Image]

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Indira Weresheep
X-tasy: Larian said that the editor will be available during late Alpha, so that's like 4 months away, tops. And even if it won't get as much traffic as when the game releases, it is a very functional infrastructure for these forums to have. Surely, it can't be nothing but a good thing? smile

I've never modded before but I might try for this game!

"There is no such thing as absolute freedom because we are still prisoners of society"
N
stranger
stranger
N
Originally Posted by X-tasy
It will be at least half a year till the game is released so if a new subforum opens now it will be useless for five months or so.

Actually, it would be very useful for people doing a lot of pre-planning and maybe create a networking tool for folks that want to build a small team to work on a mod.

stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Nikolokolus
Originally Posted by X-tasy

Actually, it would be very useful for people doing a lot of pre-planning and maybe create a networking tool for folks that want to build a small team to work on a mod.

Yep...some people are skilled artists others have a lot of experience modding while others still may be talented writers. A subforum would allow these individuals to start talking and cooperating. Some threads would be great to have people work together on creating a story as well. There's a lot that could be done even now. smile

stranger
stranger
+1 for early modding sub forum. Worst case scenario it's empty for 6 months - it's not harming anyone.

It would be really nice if someone from Larian could answer some questions or give some info useful for anyone wanting to create something pre-release... file formats and stuff like that.

I want that editor now!

Join the Weresheep of Original Sin Facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/WeresheepOfOriginalSin
journeyman
journeyman
It'd be good if the Alpha people get early access to the editor too, and can use that to make a tutorial and sneak peak for us non-Alphas. It'd also whip up some extra excitement and interest in the game, I'd think.

stranger
stranger
My feeling is that if we had a modding sub-forum, in which Larian devs could make the occasional visit to answer some of the tough questions on toolset capabilities, it would go far to build interest and help folks prepare for the toolset when it arrives. Even without Larian's involvement, I'm sure modders would appreciate the ability to bounce story ideas off each other and do some team building and pre-planning.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard