Print Thread
#462551 11/04/13 12:33 PM
R
Rack Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
R
I've been playing Heart of the Swarm recently (big surprise) and it's awakened a taste in me for RTS. Only trick is I'm terrible at RTS, I just can't keep up with the frenetic pace of handling every aspect of base building and army handling at once.

Now Starcraft was very deliberately built that way, other games have mitigated this to some extent. I'm curious about where Dragon Commander fits into this, but also what people hope it does.

Would people be happy if there were elements designed to minimise the amount of micromanagement needed? The base building I've seen falls somewhere around the Company of Heroes level but I'd personally be happy if there were upgrades or armies that reduced this further. Maybe a sub commander who you could inform what unit balance you wanted and where, and he just steadily provided them, upgrading buildings and units as appropriate. Or even just spent your excess resources when you were getting to a point it was hard to spend them.

Am I alone here? Or is this something others would appreciate?

I admit, I'm not an experienced enough RTS player to make any real recommendations. However, from what I've seen, Dragon Commander relies not so much on base building (which makes the turtler in me very sad), but on quickly capturing specific points on the map.

So I really wouldn't mind if, on lower difficulties, your troops capture points a bit faster than the AI does.

And while I wouldn't go full sub-commander, it could be an idea that you can issue a general directive somehow (capture points; build unit type X; attack enemy; whatever) that the AI will take care of whenever you launch into Dragon mode to do some more personal damage.

If all else fails, however, there's still the autoresolve button.

A
journeyman
journeyman
A
Multitasking in this game looks to be much simpler than Starcraft 1 and 2. You just have to know unit strengths/weaknesses, location of enemy and what their forces are. However, the inclusion of the dragon brings much more to the multitasking field.

If you spend too much time in dragon form you could easily become out maneuvered. Too little time and the enemy could out strongarm you with his dragon alongside his forces. The three dragon types may help this issue though.

Simply put, multitasking will always be a big role in any rts. You'll just have to practice to get better at it like anything else. Though this one may be easier to learn instead of something like starcraft 2.

R
Rack Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
R
The dragon sounds like a bit of a wildcard, while in Dragon Form you can't multitask but you won't be able to shift unless you're able to sort the economy and troop production out to the extent you can afford to take a few minutes off.

At any rate it sounds like DC isn't a hardcore multitasker so that's promising anyway.

Moderated by  ForkTong, Issh, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard