Larian Banner
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2008
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Joined: Jan 2008
I was wondering how loot was going to be distributed if you are playing multiplayer. I think from what I have seen that it will be a whoever grabs it free for all. I know you have the magic bag where you can transfer items to each other over any distance. I am unsure if there is any class specific loot allocation or gold sharing though.

In a way it's more natural to have it just as you find it (free for all grab it) but it can also be frustrating sometimes. Maybe like dialogue where you can agree or disagree on options it could be the same for some loot?

Sometimes for the more greedy rogueish characters it's tempting to rush a game to grab loot first and it can be more laid back if you can be assured of some fairness to it.

I am open to either system but wondering which it was going to be.

What do you think?


Joined: Apr 2013
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
Joined: Apr 2013
You're right, it'll be a "free for all" system, in which the first player to grab an item will become its owner.
To me it's all right, and since you won't be playing with perfect strangers you'll be able to "discuss" the attribution, unless your partner is a bastard, but then just stop playing with him if it becomes unbearable. Or kill him.

Life is unfair, I hope the game won't be sweetened. Besides, I don't want a loot window to pop up each times I want to pick/move an utensil, because it'd be unfair to my partner who can't interact with the litigious object at the mean time.

Last edited by Asyreon; 20/04/13 11:26 PM.
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Support
Offline
Support
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada

You can drop loot on another character's portrait to transfer it to their inventory, or drop it for them to pick up.

There are no classes, so no class specific loot (though of course there will be equipment that doesn't fit with your character build). In co-op mode I think most people are going to want to try different builds, so equipment shouldn't be much of a problem. I suppose one person could gab most of the potions, etc, but if the combat is balanced for 2 characters they are going to start running into trouble if their greed ends up handicapping the other player (assuming their behaviour doesn't outright discourage others from playing with them).

Also, there is friendly fire in the game. You can always 'accidentally' hit someone with a fireball, and then say "oops, sorry, I was just distracted thinking about that 4th time you grabbed loot in a row and didn't give me anything."

Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Germany
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Germany
ATM there is no open lobby planned so you can "only" play by inviting people/friends. I think that the loot distribution problem isn't that big problem with only 2-4 players who probably know each other well. It's completely different from MMOs with many strangers. wink


WOOS
Joined: Jan 2008
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Joined: Jan 2008
Thanks! Too funny Raze...friendly fire revengeance!! I know it's classes I just meant if you had an archer and other character was a sword user you might want all the bows etc. I guess you are right and it's about teamwork and trusting the people you play with and if they can't play fairly you'll probably just die a lot.

Joined: Apr 2013
Location: England
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: England
I much prefer the "everyone sees the same loot" model over the "each person sees different loot" model, as done in Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3. The only thing I would suggest is maybe having a way to equally distribute gold that's found. It could either be a cheap spell, something like "Maynard's Coin Splitting Cantrip" (made by an old wizard to stop his grandchildren arguing) or something a familiar-type creature does, flitting between backpacks and making sure it's all balanced. In either case, it could be dispelled by another player, perhaps, and that would be like openly stating "Actually, no. I think I'm going to be a greedy bastard".

Joined: Sep 2011
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Sep 2011
Originally Posted by Raze

You can drop loot on another character's portrait to transfer it to their inventory, or drop it for them to pick up.

There are no classes, so no class specific loot (though of course there will be equipment that doesn't fit with your character build). In co-op mode I think most people are going to want to try different builds, so equipment shouldn't be much of a problem. I suppose one person could gab most of the potions, etc, but if the combat is balanced for 2 characters they are going to start running into trouble if their greed ends up handicapping the other player (assuming their behaviour doesn't outright discourage others from playing with them).

Also, there is friendly fire in the game. You can always 'accidentally' hit someone with a fireball, and then say "oops, sorry, I was just distracted thinking about that 4th time you grabbed loot in a row and didn't give me anything."


What if they both planned to go on the same stat allocation, same build and whatnot. I don't know if it is possible to make the game doable with this build but there are instances where people try this route.

I personally agree with the above poster about the "everyone can see my loot", the equal sharing of gold, and possibly, the equal loot distribution. Have it as an option before starting the game. Let's think pessimistically and assume that all men are greedy. This would make the coop an unfriendly option.

Since the other player can be far away from the other one, the above mechanic is unforgiving for those who takes quests and gold a lot. So, a good control is to limit the distance the other character can get the loot/gold. Basically, what other online games are doing. It kind of ruins immersion, but it makes the game convenient/practical.


"There is no such thing as absolute freedom because we are still prisoners of society"
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Germany
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Germany
It's a co-op games which is meant for playing with a friend/partner, not an MMO.... wink

So if you're friend/partner is too greedy go over to his/her house a slap him/her or just kick him off your session if you are the host....

Just kidding, the "first come first serve" system works quite well in most co-op games I know. Sure, it depends on your co-op partner but my friends and me, we want to have fun in a game and not arguing about loot.... wink


WOOS
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Support
Offline
Support
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada

There were lots of times in the previous Divinity games where I debated which piece of equipment was better, given roughly equal damage/armour and slightly different bonuses. In D:OS even if two characters use the same build and same weapon type, it is unlikely they would have exactly the same preferences for bonuses, so it wouldn't be terribly hard to sort out the loot (second best probably being pretty close to best in quality most of the time). Even if someone got two upgrades in a row better than what the other person had, then the first upgrade would get handed down to the other player.

The game needs to be balanced for 2 main characters and up to 2 henchmen. There is not going to be a case where someone is walking around with a broom and nails pounded into it, and a pot on their head, because they got into a few conversations, while the person they were playing with went out and looted the only good equipment available.

Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Germany
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Germany
Originally Posted by Raze

There were lots of times in the previous Divinity games where I debated which piece of equipment was better, given roughly equal damage/armour and slightly different bonuses. In D:OS even if two characters use the same build and same weapon type, it is unlikely they would have exactly the same preferences for bonuses, so it wouldn't be terribly hard to sort out the loot (second best probably being pretty close to best in quality most of the time). Even if someone got two upgrades in a row better than what the other person had, then the first upgrade would get handed down to the other player.

The game needs to be balanced for 2 main characters and up to 2 henchmen. There is not going to be a case where someone is walking around with a broom and nails pounded into it, and a pot on their head, because they got into a few conversations, while the person they were playing with went out and looted the only good equipment available.


Apart from that it will be pretty boring (and hard!) to play with two fighters, two rangers or two mages.... wink


WOOS
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada
Support
Offline
Support
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Canada

You can hire henchmen (or use summons) to compliment your main character choices (or compensate for any weaknesses). I assumed having 2 melee warriors in Beyond Divinity would cause a problem with ranged opponents, but several people used that combination and reported that it worked fine for them (I don't recall anyone saying that they tried 2 rangers or two pure mages).

Joined: Apr 2013
V
apprentice
Offline
apprentice
V
Joined: Apr 2013
Originally Posted by Kingslayer
I much prefer the "everyone sees the same loot" model over the "each person sees different loot" model, as done in Torchlight 2 and Diablo 3. The only thing I would suggest is maybe having a way to equally distribute gold that's found. It could either be a cheap spell, something like "Maynard's Coin Splitting Cantrip" (made by an old wizard to stop his grandchildren arguing) or something a familiar-type creature does, flitting between backpacks and making sure it's all balanced. In either case, it could be dispelled by another player, perhaps, and that would be like openly stating "Actually, no. I think I'm going to be a greedy bastard".


I thought I remember hearing in an interview that the gold WAS shared. I think it was in that hour long one put up last week. Can someone verify?

Joined: Apr 2005
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Apr 2005
Originally Posted by LordCrash
It's a co-op games which is meant for playing with a friend/partner, not an MMO.... wink

So if you're friend/partner is too greedy go over to his/her house a slap him/her or just kick him off your session if you are the host....

Just kidding, the "first come first serve" system works quite well in most co-op games I know. Sure, it depends on your co-op partner but my friends and me, we want to have fun in a game and not arguing about loot.... wink


Indeed, co-op, not mmo !
I give my partner all the best stuff biggrin and give myself just what I find is looking nice and lovely (me, playing Scarlett). I don't need te best loot/equipment, I only want the most lovely shiny ones, glittering in the sunlight smile


On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
Joined: Apr 2013
B
journeyman
Offline
journeyman
B
Joined: Apr 2013
Auto share gold.

I'd like to see a pop up on important items (adjustable rarity threshold?) just so they don't get lost. If a dagger that would really work well for me drops my buddy might not notice before he sells it if at all. Besides is neat to get to look at all the loot that drops without having to initiate a trade all of the time.

Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Belgium
enthusiast
Offline
enthusiast
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Belgium
All your loot are belong to us.

Please don't hurt me, someone had to do it!

Btw pretty if the loot is listed in the combat log/chat log or similar that would work for me.


* as usual this is imho (unless stated otherwise); feel free to disagree, ignore or try to change my mind. Agreeing with me is ofc also allowed, but makes for much worse flamewarsarguments.

It is a full moon night and ... bèèè! ... the Weresheep are out...
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Germany
veteran
Offline
veteran
Joined: Apr 2013
Location: Germany
Best system for co-op IMO:

XP - shared
Gold - shared
Items - first come first served

wink


WOOS

Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5