Next Thread
Print Thread
#463743 23/04/13 07:01 PM
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
So, I heard about this game a lil while back, but quickly forgot about it again. I only took a "serious" interest when angry joe and totalbiscuit, both took to cover the game on the same day.

I must say that I love what I've seen, seems like this game has the kind of freedom so many modern games lack. It reminds me of morrowind to some extend, although this is obviously a different kind of rpg. I am also in love with the turn based combat.

However, what does concern me a little, is the major focus on magic this game seems to have. I certainly appreciate the thought put into the elemental features of the game, and I don't have anything against magic based characters.
My worry is that, I personally, prefer not to be a magic casting character, nor do I like the idea of every character I ever make being a magic caster.

This does however seem to be implied in what little information I've gathered. In both angry joe and TB's videos, we barely see any player characters doing base attacks, but rather relying almost entirely on magic. We also have 4 out of 6 skill schools based in elemental magic, and I have yet to see anything to suggest that melee/ranged combat beyond base attacks is even supported.

Again, please don't get me wrong, I think magic is a great part of any fantasy rpg, very important even. But I don't like being forced into a role in an "open" game.

I'd love for people who've been following this game for a lot longer than I, or anyone really, to give their input.

Thanks smile.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Keep in mind that the players were given a LOT of spells in this pre-alpha build. They were also a bit unbalanced and for presentation's sake they try to show off to them youtubers :P.

It's true that we haven't seen a lot of other skills like special melee moves and such but those will be implemented I think. Both main characters are Scource users (aka magic users) but it's a classless system so you can do whatever you want with both characters really.

Last edited by Rod Lightning; 23/04/13 07:20 PM.

Look it stands to reason...You can't eat 'cos you don't have a stomach!
Support
Support

There will be warrior / survivor / ranger type skills in the game, they just are not being shown yet (at least in some cases because they are not done yet).

FWIW all the previous Divinity games had warrior and ranger skills, and I haven't played a mage character in any of them.

Welcome to the forum. wave

M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
@Rod lightning

You bring up another point which worries me with regards to the magic. As you say, both main characters are specfically users of magic, as a plot point. This implies even more that the devs expect every character to atleast be a spellsword.

I realize that the devs would wanna highlight their cool elemental system to journalists, but to leave out any mention of "of course you don't HAVE to be using magic" or anything like that, leaves me worried.

You are right, it is a classless system, but I guess I in theory I could simlpy not use magic, but if the game expects me to usemagic, it won't really be a vaible option not to.

@Raze

Have they specfically said this? I'm just interested. I've played divine divity to some extend myself, ages ago though.

Also, thanks wink

Last edited by mamastoast; 23/04/13 07:28 PM.
addict
addict
they said there will be 6 schools 4 are magic (Water, Earth, Fire and Water just like in avatar xD) und two non-magic. if i remember right one ranged and one melee. and you can pick whatever you want just like in DD or D2

Support
Support

Yes, they have specifically said there would be warrior / ranger skills.

I love rpggames with ALOT of different spells... Just being able to choose from a big amount of elemental spells, ranger spells and physical spells makes me just want to create a character that fits me up to every single statpoint..

Ow god.. This will be a game where i spend most of my time in charactercreation and in the skillmenu's XD

Last edited by Timeraider; 23/04/13 08:35 PM.

Butler at WoOS - Weresheeps unite!
M
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
M
so, we still have a game where a game where 4 6ths of the players options are dedicated to one of three archetypes, I dunno, just doesn't seem all that great to me :& I can't shake the feeling that the other archetypes are being treated as an afterthought.... Of course I'll wait and see, but I dunno.

Last edited by mamastoast; 23/04/13 09:31 PM.
veteran
veteran
4/6ths of the skill system as magic is not finalized, and with the success of the Kickstarter, there will probably be a ton of additional stuff.

From Reddit:

"We didn't show any warrior skills yet, but you can rest assured there's quite a few. Cover is possible and even encouraged."

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by mamastoast
so, we still have a game where a game where 4 6ths of the players options are dedicated to one of three archetypes, I dunno, just doesn't seem all that great to me :& I can't shake the feeling that the other archetypes are being treated as an afterthought.... Of course I'll wait and see, but I dunno.

You're assuming each "tree" is the same size, that might not be the case.

* as usual this is imho (unless stated otherwise); feel free to disagree, ignore or try to change my mind. Agreeing with me is ofc also allowed, but makes for much worse flamewarsarguments.

It is a full moon night and ... bèèè! ... the Weresheep are out...
S
journeyman
journeyman
S
Originally Posted by mamastoast

You also have to take into account that the magic schools probably will integrate with the warrior and ranger schools, if you will. You will probably have your usual buffs and so on, so it's not all fireball-flinging in the battle.

For example, your sixth sense might tell you that the Lord of the Sixth House is now pretty near so you might spend all your mana giving you more armor, more damage, more resistance and so on and then just go head-on with the dude.

I also am under the impression that mana is not very plentiful in the game, so you'll probably use magic more like a utility. This is just my impression, though.

Link Copied to Clipboard