Print Thread
#464262 25/04/13 02:37 PM
E
Eldaria Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
I saw in your FAQ on kickstarter that you do not have resources to create full voice, and that you do not want to have the same voices for different NPC's and henchmen.
Voice adds a whole new feeling to the game, it gives the characters more personality

How about involving the community?

I know that we all have various grade of audio equipment, but with proper instructions, and sending in some samples, you could get thousands of voices.
With proper processing/Filtering etc, you could clean it up to a proper level.

I mean it is not that many lines of dialog for each NPC, so you could have for example 10 people reading in the dialog, and choose the best of them?

You could even make a web tool who would invite people to record online, then have peer review of it, and up/down voting the recordings.

Eldaria #464264 25/04/13 02:41 PM
veteran
veteran
What's the purpose of that? You can make mods if you want to include voices of community members. wink

WOOS
LordCrash #464265 25/04/13 02:57 PM
I think the intent here is to have a game with a lot more spoken dialog when it gets released.

While I like the idea by itself, I do think it's still quite a lot of extra work for Larian to start integrating this in the game itself, and that the quality will be sub par compared to the rest of the audio in the game.

On the other hand, we could release something like this as a fan add-on. That way, the only thing the community needs from Larian are the lines from the game, which will be available for the greater part with the beta release I suppose, maybe with alpha.

Coordination could be done on the weresheep.net website; as long as the server is attached to the VUB network, and we don't use it for anything commercial, it should be ok.

Weresheep of Original Sin: Facebook | homepage (WIP wink )
sheep is the plural of sheep oops
Robrecht #464268 25/04/13 03:31 PM
E
Eldaria Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E
My idea was for the release edition, of course a community fan addon could work to. But it would reach a wider audience if Larian studios was in on it, and promoted the effort, and provided the dialog text.
Prefferably it should be out of context to not ruin the game experience.

It would also be needed to have some experts of audio processing to clean up the audio.

The community could vote up/down the raw audio to get the best audio.

Not sure what you mean by not commercial?
If we would do this as a community effort, if we get it done before release we could give it to Larian Studios to include in the release. But then I guess it would be commercial or?

I do not want to pay people, but I suggest that the voices who get selected, also get into the credits of the game.

Eldaria #464275 25/04/13 03:49 PM
Commercial as in the rather broad sense of people getting paid for things on the website. If the community voice acting is going to be in the final and official release, that's commercial. If it's community supplied and everyone can download it, it's not commercial. (Regardless of the fact that it is an add-on for a commercial product, it is by itself not commercial. People can still download and listen to the sounds if they want to for whatever reason, for example.)

Now, I don't know whether you followed all kickstarter updates, but Larian promoted the weresheep pretty hard. They are true bros, and value their community a lot. I wouldn't worry about the visibility of a community sound pack add-one, may it exist. ;-)

Robrecht #464285 25/04/13 04:42 PM
apprentice
apprentice
Equipment set aside, I foresee 2 major problems :

- Thousands of samples, which would require a lot of time to examine and correct if the audio is mediocre (which is likely to be the case).

- Whiners. There's already a flame war ongoing for something which was supposed to be a gift to the community (tomorrow's countdown party thread, which btw reached the infamous Godwin point), imagine if, in place of two people, we have thousands.
Can you realize how flooded would the forum be by such threads as "Larian didn't choose me, why ?", "What's wrong with my voice ?" "Larian has fascist methods of selections".
Wouldn't it rot the forum ?

Moreover, maybe there are gifted actors among us, who know, but it certainly represents a tiny fraction of the community.
To me (it's my personal view, don't take it bad) it sounds more like a run for fame rather than truly helping Larian, knowing the difficulties it will arise.

Last edited by Asyreon; 25/04/13 04:47 PM.
Asyreon #464289 25/04/13 05:01 PM
I must admit that I generally agree with the concerns posted by Asyreon above.

Asyreon #464300 25/04/13 05:30 PM
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Asyreon
Equipment set aside, I foresee 2 major problems :

- Thousands of samples, which would require a lot of time to examine and correct if the audio is mediocre (which is likely to be the case).

- Whiners. There's already a flame war ongoing for something which was supposed to be a gift to the community (tomorrow's countdown party thread, which btw reached the infamous Godwin point), imagine if, in place of two people, we have thousands.
Can you realize how flooded would the forum be by such threads as "Larian didn't choose me, why ?", "What's wrong with my voice ?" "Larian has fascist methods of selections".
Wouldn't it rot the forum ?

Moreover, maybe there are gifted actors among us, who know, but it certainly represents a tiny fraction of the community.
To me (it's my personal view, don't take it bad) it sounds more like a run for fame rather than truly helping Larian, knowing the difficulties it will arise.

I think it's a good idea and could open up a lot more talent to the world. I think peer review and rating perhaps with various stages like finals, semi-finals etc where people get to vote would be great. It could lead people to do voice styles in ways creators may not have originally considered but which are good. Think of the hilarity listening to the terrible ones too! It would be like 'Larians got talent'.

Catelee2u #464303 25/04/13 05:37 PM
I like your thinking, if we keep being open to constructive criticism we might end up with something awesome.

If I understand what you are saying, your idea is to organize a contest, where one or more people win the 'prize', which is to bring life to previously unvoiced characters in D:OS. This would mean we get a talented small group that can (should be able to) work together. As these people are chosen by the community, and the choice would be final, no one gets to complain afterwards.

In this scenario I feel that the potential bickering might take place during the voting / election process. On the other hand, this *is* a popularity contest, i.e. whose voicing is liked the most. This in the interest of quality, so no immediate direct objections to the format itself.

Robrecht #464310 25/04/13 05:53 PM
veteran
veteran
I say no to Larian integrating an amateur community voice pack into the game.

Bad voice-acting can be worse than no voice-acting. If modders want to put together a mod to add voice-work, more power to them, but I would prefer a handful of scenes voiced by professionals than a lot of scenes voiced not-so-well, especially if it means Larian has to take time out of working on the game to do quality control of hours of this stuff.

Stabbey #464311 25/04/13 06:02 PM
Alright, it seems that most people thus far (including me ^.^) agree that quality is a real issue, and it shouldn't be incorporated in the official game because this problem is too hard to solve in the framework that we have.

As far as I'm concerned, the discussion can from here on be purely and solely about the creation of a community voice pack add-on ... thing.

Last edited by Robrecht; 25/04/13 06:02 PM. Reason: typo

Robrecht #464330 25/04/13 06:35 PM
stranger
stranger
Quality is a real issue. You see not having voice work in an RPG isn't that big of a deal. I've played more RPGs without voices than I have with.

However having an RPG with bad voice acting can ruin an otherwise amazing game. Bad voice acting can make a badass character laughable, it can make a funny character stupid, and it can make a evil character sound like he gets his kicks from horribly awkward one liners.

There's nothing worse than hearing a character's voice and realizing it doesn't sound anything like you imagined in your head.

Robrecht #464333 25/04/13 06:41 PM
stranger
stranger
I go with the idea of a community addon. I assume most of you have something like skype microphones, which are an absolute nogo for audiorecordings.

Maybe it would be possible to make some meetups with the people which has access to at least something like an 100€ capacitormicrophones.

I dont think that whiners would be a real problem. We would have to choose the usable samples and let the forum users vote, or we would define the roles before recording. I think there are enough.

It would be totally awesome bääääähtastic to make this addon real^^

Last edited by Emperor_of_Mars; 25/04/13 06:42 PM.
Elrodeus #464341 25/04/13 06:52 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
In many aspects books or novels are waaaaaaaaaay better than their big screen (film) adaptations.

I usually like my games to be in the middle ground of these two. All try to tell a story but they are all a completely different media.

I like it how it is right now. A mixture of both but leaning towards text-based.

Look it stands to reason...You can't eat 'cos you don't have a stomach!
veteran
veteran
Reasons why there was no voice-acting is completely different from "lack of resources". Swen mentioned it was dictated by the way their dialogue system designed. That's why there is keyword system in 90% of the game dialogues and only personal ones have real replies and writing.

You can't voice a reply because it may be spoken by completely different characters and of different gender (many of the share the same pool). Voicing all of these with every actor? Are you serious? Such thing wouldn't be able to pull out even Bioware with their publishers.

Link Copied to Clipboard