Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Dexyd
Actually I do. Bad voiceacting can totally kill a game. So I rather have some good voiceacting and only for the main story/cutscenes and tons of text dialogs

Agree; I'd rather have no VA at all than bad VA. And I'd definitely prefer to have a large amount of non-voiced dialogue rather than reduced dialogue with full voice-acting.

journeyman
journeyman
Well this is Larian where talking about so im sure they will have some great voice actors especially for the joke lines laugh

Death and glory!
They shoulda had Full VO as a 2 mil stretch goal, heh. But, I wouldn't worry bout bad VO, Divinity 2 was great so I know they can do a good job.

On the same token, bad VO can be fun too. The Japanese version of Ultima VI had Epic bad VO (in english) and it was awesome.

I pledged and all I got was this lousy awesome game!
veteran
veteran
I'm fine with how the voice acting is done in DD smile
But I like to see happen that I can hear speak the two main characters to eachother, that will be cool ! biggrin

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
apprentice
apprentice
Oh, totally loving voice acting in DD

XXBZPTRL

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Von_Rotten
They shoulda had Full VO as a 2 mil stretch goal, heh. But, I wouldn't worry bout bad VO, Divinity 2 was great so I know they can do a good job.

On the same token, bad VO can be fun too. The Japanese version of Ultima VI had Epic bad VO (in english) and it was awesome.

Why not?!!!?

stranger
stranger
At least main quest and companion stories should be voiced in my opinion. :P
I tend to get bored with just reading blocks of text but if there is a voice, I usually listen to it in full.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Merithyn
I tend to get bored with just reading blocks of text but if there is a voice, I usually listen to it in full.

100% agree! smile

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by john carmack

100% agree! smile

Most people read much faster than they speak, meaning that I've read a dialogue 5 times before the actors are done speaking. For any game with a meaningful amount of dialogue this is terribly annoying and it doesn't take long before I just start skipping ahead once I'm done reading instead of waiting for the voice to catch up.

* as usual this is imho (unless stated otherwise); feel free to disagree, ignore or try to change my mind. Agreeing with me is ofc also allowed, but makes for much worse flamewarsarguments.

It is a full moon night and ... bèèè! ... the Weresheep are out...
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by theBlackDragon

100% agree! smile

Most people read much faster than they speak, meaning that I've read a dialogue 5 times before the actors are done speaking. For any game with a meaningful amount of dialogue this is terribly annoying and it doesn't take long before I just start skipping ahead once I'm done reading instead of waiting for the voice to catch up.

It's indeed so that mostly I've readed the dialog when the NPC is still speaking. But this do not annoy me by a Divnity game since the dialogs are almost all nice & funny written and/or good & funny voice-acted !! smile
Sooooo good that I love to hear them a Thousand times without any feeling of starting to be boring or annoying !

But most other non Divnity Universe games don't give me the same "good mood" feeling depending on the voice acting (etc etc !), o no no no, they don't even can "tip" on a Divnity game !!

On 7th of february 2015 : I start a new adventure in the Divinity world of Original Sin,
it's a Fantastic Freaking Fabulous Funny ... it's my All Time Favorite One !
enthusiast
enthusiast
i dissagree.. i prefer to read most parts of text..nothing can immerse me as much as a great book, i'm not in this world when reading a good story

"Dwelfusius | Were-axlotl of Original Sin"

Hardcorus RPGus PCus Extremus
stranger
stranger
Why do you think even games tagged as "visual novels" have usually a full voice-over? The text without voice lacks emotion for one. Yes, I know you can imagine all that in your head but it is not the same.
In the games like Dragon Age you can just feel the tension and emotions of the characters with voice acting alone. I sure doubt if that game would be half as fun as it was without it. Also the occasional song sung by the characters could be a nice touch. I still remember the Beer Song from Bard's Tale laugh ...or in DA, that Leliana song was quite nice too. smile

Last edited by Merithyn; 15/05/13 06:19 PM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
Why do you think even games tagged as "visual novels" have usually a full voice-over? The text without voice lacks emotion for one. Yes, I know you can imagine all that in your head but it is not the same.
In the games like Dragon Age you can just feel the tension and emotions of the characters with voice acting alone. I sure doubt if that game would be half as fun as it was without it. Also the occasional song sung by the characters could be a nice touch. I still remember the Beer Song from Bard's Tale laugh ...or in DA, that Leliana song was quite nice too. smile

Sorry, I know I got a little off-topic with all this. wink

Most games with a lot of text have limited voice-over, like just the first sentence or something. This sets the tone and I find that this is quite often enough (the Infinity Engine games did it this way for a lot of their dialogue)

And just so we're clear, Dragon Age doesn't have a lot of dialogue, it might have a lot compared to current day mainstream cRPGs but really that just goes to show what a sad state cRPGs are in. There are a few sentences at most, usually relatively simple and short sentences. If you want to actually *know* anything about the world you have to read the codex, which is again a lot of text without VO. The amount of replies you can give is also really limited.

If you don't believe me pick up one of the old IE games, and if you want a game with *a lot* of dialogue play Planescape: Torment (if you haven't already).

Also tangentially related:
[Linked Image]

* as usual this is imho (unless stated otherwise); feel free to disagree, ignore or try to change my mind. Agreeing with me is ofc also allowed, but makes for much worse flamewarsarguments.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by theBlackDragon

Sorry, I know I got a little off-topic with all this. wink

Most games with a lot of text have limited voice-over, like just the first sentence or something. This sets the tone and I find that this is quite often enough (the Infinity Engine games did it this way for a lot of their dialogue)

And just so we're clear, Dragon Age doesn't have a lot of dialogue, it might have a lot compared to current day mainstream cRPGs but really that just goes to show what a sad state cRPGs are in. There are a few sentences at most, usually relatively simple and short sentences. If you want to actually *know* anything about the world you have to read the codex, which is again a lot of text without VO. The amount of replies you can give is also really limited.

If you don't believe me pick up one of the old IE games, and if you want a game with *a lot* of dialogue play Planescape: Torment (if you haven't already).

Also tangentially related:
[Linked Image]

:O HES RIGHT! Or in translation to what he said voicing to much text can equal to little choice in answers to npc questions.

Death and glory!
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Rod Lightning
After a while, like in skyrim and many other games, you just read the text and skip halfway through the dialogue anyway.

But only because the dialogues are boring in Skyrim!

A good story makes a good game!

Originally Posted by Von_Rotten

Why not?!!!?

Because I can! No really, I can....
Na, think ya misread, said Shoulda as should have, not shouldn't.

Originally Posted by Rod Lightning
After a while, like in skyrim and many other games, you just read the text and skip halfway through the dialogue anyway.

But only because the dialogues are boring in Skyrim!

A good story makes a good game!

Sometimes a good story gets buried in tl;dr. A good example is recent RPG called Inquisitor. Great indie RPG, loved the old school game play but the text... oh god, the text.

Reading each NPC's dialog was an entire chapter in a novel, no joke. And that was just for following main quest dialog, god forbid ya try and follow side quests at the same time, by the time you finished, you forgot the importaint tidbits of info to follow up the main quest stuff.

Didn't help you have to squint to read it all either, heh.

Love a good story, but if it's all text based, break it up a bit so as not to delay the pacing of the game and please make it easy on the eyes, heh.

Last edited by Von_Rotten; 21/05/13 07:24 PM.

I pledged and all I got was this lousy awesome game!
enthusiast
enthusiast
*sigh* this is merely stating your opinion as a fact.

also i never said i have anything AGAINST voice overs, just that i rather see most of the dialogue in text.Only the first sentence or only very important dialogue , or co-op dialogue voiced would be perfectly fine by me, but full voice costs a lot and i would skip most of it, since i would be reading the dialogue,ergo for me your standpoint is not valid

"Dwelfusius | Were-axlotl of Original Sin"

Hardcorus RPGus PCus Extremus
addict
addict
Originally Posted by boe2
a full-voiced game is better for immersion !!

Nobody will disagree with that, Chaotica, but as said above: Voicing that much text ain't easy and is definitely not cheap.
Have a look at popular, high budget rpg's known for rich dialog (Baldur's Gate, Dragon Age): They are also 'only' partially voiced.

Actually I do. Bad voiceacting can totally kill a game. So I rather have some good voiceacting and only for the main story/cutscenes and tons of text dialogs

I agree but so far, except few character in DD, the divinity's games have always had a good casting !! As you spoke about the quality of dubbing, text mistakes and so on so on, I am sure that larian will provide really good dialogues as they used to !!

I fully agree, but it is my opinion. I also admit that it is expensive and that some people just do not want to wait until the end en the dialogue and just read. For them there is the option of passing it by clicking on their mouse button.

"-Oh that's fullmoon, cuttie cuttie sheep
-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

Weresheeps will rule the world (At least one night every 29 days)
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Chaotica
Originally Posted by boe2
a full-voiced game is better for immersion !!

Nobody will disagree with that, Chaotica, but as said above: Voicing that much text ain't easy and is definitely not cheap.
Have a look at popular, high budget rpg's known for rich dialog (Baldur's Gate, Dragon Age): They are also 'only' partially voiced.

I agree but so far, except few character in DD, the divinity's games have always had a good casting !! As you spoke about the quality of dubbing, text mistakes and so on so on, I am sure that larian will provide really good dialogues as they used to !!

I fully agree, but it is my opinion. I also admit that it is expensive and that some people just do not want to wait until the end en the dialogue and just read. For them there is the option of passing it by clicking on their mouse button.

If you've seen how much text some dialogues in RPGs can have then no sane person is going to wait until that all has passed. Good lord, the idea of having that entire Planes exposition in the inn in PlaneScape: Torment voiced...*nobody* would listen all the way to the end of all that, I mean, you could probably have a Lord of the Rings Extended Edition Marathon in that time (might even be able to add in The Hobbit too)...
But there's no way in hell I'd want that dialogue to be relegated to some "codex".

old hand
old hand
The reason lots of people dont read, or even don't listen to all the dialogues, is because most of them are shit. They are uninspired and boring. Often I dont finish reading it all because of that. And only a few years ago I played and finished Planescape:Torment. Which has barely anything voiced, and TONS of dialogue, but still I read it all and was sucked in. I even wanted to know more and more.

I wouldnt mind the dialogue to be voiced, BUT, voice overs are expensive, very. This is probably one of the reasons that RPG's these days only have the "bare" minimum of dialogue. (in comparison to +-y2000 RPG's, like theBlackDragon showed in his comparison image.).

So it is mostly a choice between
A. lots and extensive quests, multiple solutions, ...
B. all voiced, but quests can only be done in 1 or 2 ways, way less quests, ...

So then just give me option A.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard