Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cyrion Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Hi, I couldn't find an answer by searching, so forgive me if it's posted elsewhere. I am playing as a mage, level 22, and I invested 8 points in magic missile and none in magic blast. Is this a mistake, and should I reassign these skills? Also, is it better to change some of the points to destruction instead?
Thanks for your input!

Conan stood paralyzed in the disruption of the faculties which demoralizes anyone who is confronted by an impossible negation of sanity.

Support
Support

Are you playing the original release of D2:ED or DKS / D2:DC? There were changes to some of the skills as well as changes to stats and enchantments that effect mage builds.

Maxing Magic Missile is a good idea. You should also boost Destruction (and from what I've read Magic Blast handy), but you don't need to remove any points from Magic Missile to do so. If you are unlearning your skills anyway, I would probably take a look and see if there are other skills to reduce or drop entirely before taking points out of your primary attack spell.

Have you explored the battle tower (Mindread everyone) and used any skill books you may have had in your inventory? Have you explored outside on Sentinel Island? There are skill points to be had there, as well, depending on how you deal with the quest Turgoyn gave you earlier. There are 3 skill points to be had easily in the starting section of the fjords (1 from a mindread, the other 2 require something you may or may not have at the moment).

Are you having trouble with combat in general? If so, maybe boosting Destruction earlier would have helped.

Are you having trouble with single, strong opponents? If not, then not having Magic Blast isn't a mistake.

If you are playing DKS/D2:DC the hermit near the start of Sentinel Island has a necklace with a +2 Destruction bonus.

Cyrion Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Thanks for the advice! I kept my MM, but reassigned more points into destruction and it makes a difference! I usually don't get into trouble unless there an overwhelming amount of enemies, in which case I run like hell casting MM behind me. (Cowardly I know, but effective). I did get most of the available skill points on Sentinel Island, I think, but I might not have gotten them all, as I screwed myself out of the Wyvern Egg quest and the Sibling Rivalry quest, and I now find I can't go back and do them! Unless there is a way? I could only go back to do the Ancient Mariner quest.
Oh, ps: I am playing the original ED, which I got when it first came out.

Last edited by Cyrion; 23/05/13 10:31 PM.

Conan stood paralyzed in the disruption of the faculties which demoralizes anyone who is confronted by an impossible negation of sanity.

Support
Support

Unfortunately, there is no way to get back into any of the lower sections of Sentinel Island. In the original release of D2:ED I tried maxing my vitality and healing rate (with charms and enchantments) to see if I could last long enough to swim to the hidden cave, but still died by the time I hit the water.

Did you finish the Ancient Mariner quest? Reading the Ancient Journal yourself gives 2 skill points.

For D2:ED - The official "ULTIMATE MAGE" guide

Divinity 2: Ego Draconis All-Purpose Guide

Since you have the PC version of D2:ED (from one of your earlier posts) see this topic about possibly upgrading to D2:DC.

Cyrion Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Yes, I read the book myself, for some handy points.

This is off topic, but I had to go to a much earlier save, as I found out that somewhere along the line in dragon form I had lost my hotkey spells, and no amount of button pressing or dragging could reassign them for me - would not drag and pressing "1" button only had the option of "assign no skills", urgh. (Playing on PC.) Is this a bug? confused I'm thinking it might be, as the first couple of times I tried to reassign skill points, the same thing happened, and I had to keep trying. Too bad, I actually forgot how I did a few things in the meantime, ha ha. :hihi: Goes to show you should save often!
Sorry for all the pestering questions, but my memory is so bad, I last played this game a couple of years ago and I remember the quests but forgot my solutions and tactics, for God's sake. :hihi:

Thank you very much for the helpful link, I found Raven's suggestions interesting. I tend to agree on the fireball thing, I found it fairly useless because of cooldown time.

Last edited by Cyrion; 24/05/13 12:45 AM.

Support
Support

If you unlearn skills in human form it will also unlearn the dragon skills (including the default point in FireSphere, IIRC). Could that have been the problem?

If not, some people have had issues assigning or changing the hotkey spells (though not specifically for dragon form, that I recall). From a couple different topics:

Originally Posted by Greever
How are you assigning skills to quickslots? There are a couple of ways:
1) Keep the numerical key on your keyboard pressed for +- 2 seconds.
2) In pause mode, right click on the slot you want to quickmap.
3) In the skill screen, drag the skill icon to the quickslot.

Which of these options are you using and can you try the others?

Originally Posted by Shaver
It'd help which skill you were trying to hotkey because, not all skills are hotkeyable. For the ones that are, you Left-Drag the skill into one of the slots and click when the slot lights up. From my experience, those slots don't become active (light up) unless you aim towards the very bottom of the slots. I think they did that so that you couldn't accidentally move something out of the bar. They must never have heard of "Locking" the action bar.

I've had that memory issue on a couple game I've replayed. It is annoying when you can not get something to work, and then finally check a walkthough and discover that you remembered step 1 and 3, but forgot 2.

Cyrion Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
First of all, I didn't know that the dragon skills had to be reset as well!

Despite that, however, none of the methods work, although I have used this many times. After a couple of tries, I discovered that finally it worked with all methods with my dragon spirit, but not with my firebreath. Why would it only work with one of the skills?

ps: After a particular save game reloaded, where I had firesphere insstead of dragon spirit, it appears that I could map my fire sphere but not my firebreath. Is my firebreath cursed?!

Last edited by Cyrion; 24/05/13 01:47 AM.

Support
Support

Firebreath is set to the left mouse button, and can not be re-mapped.

Cyrion Offline OP
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
Exactly, except that it has actually unmapped itself in this case. It will not drag at all anywhere, and if I press any of the number buttons, including 1, the firebreath skill is not listed in the options to select, only the second skill (fire sphere in one save, dragon spirit in the other). This is also the same if I click on the empty slot button on the skills page. Am I doomed to start this over? All my earlier saves have been saved over with this now.

Support
Support

Firebreath is not suppose to be listed in the options to select. All of the other dragon skills should be, however, as long as you have invested any skill points or are wearing any dragon armour with a particular bonus.

Speaking of which, maybe try changing equipment around, and see if that resets whatever the problem is. There are a couple pieces of armour in the battle tower chest, if you didn't notice after returning from the first battle.

Try emailing support@larian.com, with a description of the problem (including game version, etc) and maybe attach a save.

In XP the saves are in the folder

C:\Documents and Settings\ %username% \Local Settings\Application Data\Divinity 2\Savegames

or in Vista / Win 7

C:\Users\ %username% \AppData\Local\Divinity 2\Savegames

You may need to set Windows Explorer to show hidden files and folders (XP, Vista, Win 7).

Moderated by  ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard