Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
D
I'm playing through the game as an unarmed character, and I just noticed I have 10-10 magic damage in addition to physical. I got this after equipping earrings with +7 magic damage which I got from beating the killer bunny (as Im level 11, I killed it with a LOT of arrows from the safety of a river).

From reading other reports on unarmed combat it was my understanding you couldn't get magic damage on unarmed like you could with weapons. Now that it seems you can what are the ways to increase this? Is it just getting items or enchants that increase magic damage?

veteran
veteran
Just items. I think there are no armor enchantments that add direct damage, and no magic damage charms. Weapon enchantments obviously aren't an option, so you can only increase it from jewellery.

But really, there's not much point in trying to go for high magic damage on an unarmed character. Unarmed by its nature does normal, Strength-based damage. You can get magic damage on jewellery, but that same jewellery can also get Melee-damage based damage, which will have a much stronger impact than the same amount of Magic damage.

D
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
D
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Just items. I think there are no armor enchantments that add direct damage, and no magic damage charms. Weapon enchantments obviously aren't an option, so you can only increase it from jewellery.

But really, there's not much point in trying to go for high magic damage on an unarmed character. Unarmed by its nature does normal, Strength-based damage. You can get magic damage on jewellery, but that same jewellery can also get Melee-damage based damage, which will have a much stronger impact than the same amount of Magic damage.

That's annoying. But why would melee damage have a stronger impact that magic damage? It's both damage isn't it? And I would think having some magic based damage for an unarmed character would be good to have in case you fight against enemies with good melee resistance. Plus the magic damage increase applies to magic attacks/spells also doesn't it? A benefit you don't get with extra melee damage.

Also if you can get a decent amount of magic damage on unarmed then I would think way of the battlemage would end up being even more handy.

What is the highest + stat to damage you can get on jewelry anyway? I'm reloading on beating that killer bunny as it drops by far the best items I've come across so far in the game. The best I've seen so far is a +8 magic/melee damage on jewelry.

Last edited by Dundalis; 09/06/13 07:02 AM.
Support
Support

The highest magic damage bonus on jewellery that I made note of in DKS was +10 (on character level 30). If it wasn't a suitable upgrade for a ranger, though, I didn't bother looking at any damage bonuses.

D
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
D
Originally Posted by Raze

The highest magic damage bonus on jewellery that I made note of in DKS was +10 (on character level 30). If it wasn't a suitable upgrade for a ranger, though, I didn't bother looking at any damage bonuses.

Ok, do you get them on rings? Or is it only earrings/bracelets/amulets? I haven't been paying too much attention to the type of jewelry, but I don't think ive seen the + damage on rings yet, though could be mistaken.

If you can get them on rings, then getting +10 magic damage on each type would add a significant amount of unarmed magical damage, enough to be worth pursuing with something like way of the battlemage in mind I would think.

Support
Support

No, I think it is just earrings/bracelets/amulets.

I generally went with Static Charge for enchantments on jewellery first, Magic Damage Aura second, and Poison Aura for a couple pieces with a third enchantment slot (also added Healing Aura 10 to a couple pieces).

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Dundalis
That's annoying. But why would melee damage have a stronger impact that magic damage? It's both damage isn't it? And I would think having some magic based damage for an unarmed character would be good to have in case you fight against enemies with good melee resistance. Plus the magic damage increase applies to magic attacks/spells also doesn't it? A benefit you don't get with extra melee damage.

Also if you can get a decent amount of magic damage on unarmed then I would think way of the battlemage would end up being even more handy.

What is the highest + stat to damage you can get on jewelry anyway? I'm reloading on beating that killer bunny as it drops by far the best items I've come across so far in the game. The best I've seen so far is a +8 magic/melee damage on jewelry.

Yes, it is all the same damage. You don't fight enemies that have noticeable resistance, except the undead to poison and maybe burning enemies to fire.

I would not try to make an Unarmed battlemage. There are no unarmed-type weapons, and thus no weapon enchantments for Unarmed characters. Unarmed is completely Strength-based, magic damage is Intelligence-based (plus weapon damage plus weapon enchantments). There are a healthy number of weapons that do magic damage, and it's easy to make an efficient battlemage using one of them, focusing on Intelligence and using magic-damage dealing weapons.

There are enough stat points in the game that you can probably split your focus, but you'd have to think about it more carefully. The three best armor suits in the game gives a +20 to one of Intelligence/Strength/Dexterity.

You can't really get a decent amount of +magic damage on an unarmed character because their only source is a few jewellery items. Other characters can get it from weapons.

I think the highest +damage possible is +12, but that's only possible really late and if you're really lucky.

D
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
D
Ok so Im L38 only a very short way into FOV. I've spent a bit of time trying to get good uniques out of Mysus, since his stock respawns when you go to the dragon tower.

In any case, Im about set with what I've got so I've used up almost all of my melee divine charms on my current equipment. Also have +12 melee dam on each piece of jewelry (had been using + magic dam jewelry, but high level battle rage made me change).

With 100 strength and maxed unarmed damage skill, my current damage output is 1350-1398. I could actually get it more if I had some more melee dam charms, but I don't use a shield or a cuirass (my kungfu looks weird with those armors on). Not sure what damage output is like for weapon users, but I would think this is not too much worse?

Last edited by Dundalis; 03/08/13 02:27 PM.
Support
Support

In D2:ED with my warrior, at level 36 my damage was 657-734, with magic damage 181-181 (with 39 unused stat points). In DKS with a ranger on level 47 my damage was 366-619 (not counting WotR, which I only started using on level 40) and magic damage 134-244 (145 unused stat points).

veteran
veteran
That should be plenty, especially if you pop a Battle Rage on top of it. You could even up the difficulty more.

D
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
D
Originally Posted by Stabbey
That should be plenty, especially if you pop a Battle Rage on top of it. You could even up the difficulty more.

I've been playing Nightmare from the start. It's all about offense and moving in this game seems like, if you dabble too long its easy to die if there's more than 2-3 enemies. The flying fortresses in ED were killer with my build at that difficulty.

Also have maxed death blow (with jewelry help) with +7 crit on belt and rings giving me 51% critical chance total. With level 11 rush attack, it's usually enough to one hit most of the enemies ive come across in FOV so far. With battle rage L14 its about 60% increase (though description says 150% increase) so base is around 2185-2269.

Last edited by Dundalis; 04/08/13 11:53 AM.

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard