Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I know many of you will disagree with me but in my own personal opinion I now know why Game-stop had to put their own pre-order addition on extreme discount and that is simply because the game is so bad.

I know the game is old so it's not going to be very expensive but for the same store who has it's name on the case to sell the game for only eight dollars says quite a lot about how well the game was moving and what kind of faith they've had in it.

I've got a borrowed copy that someone else loaned to me because they didn't particularly like it and I know why the edition or volume the was purchased is very glitchy both with the audio and visuals for what reasons I don't know.

My main concern is with the AI being the same difficulty no matter what level you choose to start out with.

I myself do initial run throughs on whatever the easiest difficulty level is just to get a feel for the game and this game has no actual "true" easy mode like so many other RPG's I've played in the past so the constant one hit deaths I've endured in this game are a joke and shouldn't be happening on the casual level but again this game or at least this addition wasn't to well put together from my viewpoint which is the reason for so many things happening that a good game wouldn't have including lots of frame rate lag, random infinite falls and disappearing blocks which will end with you falling through the ground to be reset which can then in certain cases lead to the infinite loading or falling glitch.

I've noticed after playing the game for thirty minutes it wants to slow up or completely freeze which I suspect has more to do with my console than the game itself but with the inability to actually play the game due to exaggerated AI damage on casual/easy and the random annoying glitches I don't think I would spend the money on another Larian game unfortunately. rolleyes

What profit it a man to gain the world and loose his soul?
enthusiast
enthusiast
Of course, a lot of people will disagree. This is our territory.

Anyways, first about the difficulty. It doesn't really change the AI behavior. It will only alter the stats of the monsters. It was easy even on nightmare depending on your character build. Maybe you've played Ego Draconis. That game really has the difficulty spike. Sometimes easy somtimes just plain impossible.

The story, characters, and dialogue makes Divinity the best IMO.

"There is no such thing as absolute freedom because we are still prisoners of society"
Support
Support

I didn't have any audio or visual problems with the Xbox version. Nor did I have any slowdowns, though it did freeze a couple times (after the Xbox had been on for 8 or 10 hours). I also had clipping problems 3 times (in the original release of Ego Draconis) Rush Attacking up or down hill, but had recent saves, so it was easy enough to reload (one time I tried just moving in what was the down hill direction, and popped back above ground, but reloaded to be on the safe side, since my last save was a few seconds previous - saved before reading a book on a pedestal then Rush Attacked the creature that summoned).

The difficulty level effects health/mana, which indirectly does effect the behaviour of some opponents (ie the spells mages can use).

If you are getting one hit killed, you need to either try a different location first, or check your character build. The game doesn't hold your hand and tell you exactly what to do, but if you start having trouble, and a change of tactics or different approach is not enough to help, then there should be other quests you can do or areas to explore.

Playing on nightmare with a ranger, I stopped distributing stat points after level 15 to keep the game challenging. Another playing a summoner type build on nightmare didn't wear a breastplate or helmet and stopped distributing stat points on level 12 or 13.

Welcome to the forum. wave

C
stranger
stranger
C
Easy mode vs hard was very noticeable. Not trying to be defensive but it was that obvious. Easy mode was too easy.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I just noticed that I posted this thread in the wrong section as the version I'm playing is the Ego Draconis so I apologize to the admin team for the misplacement of the thread.

Thanks for the welcome and for the kind attitudes as I've been on several game forums and none were as polite as this.

I'm running as a warrior level 30 with dual wield at level eight, deflect level three, heal level five, regenerate level five and summon level three.

Last night I gave the game my final attempt at the Hall of Echoes quest but I've got a big problem I can't get past the memory eaters to get to the portal after entering the Hall because my game save data is corrupted the game won't load properly even after reverting to an earlier save so I'm at a dead end.

I can get one or two of the nests downed but then the screen goes black with the audio still playing so I get to hear when I die but I cant actually see anything to fight back which ends up with me getting an auto reset for the whole cycle to happen all over again.

I must admit I had high hopes for this game as it felt much like Fable(The lost Chapters) addition but because my console wont cooperate I've finally gotten stuck.

I've got the game installed as that is the only way my console will even read/play any of my games

I think my hard drive maybe starting to go bad or my CPU is faulty which means I'll likely end up getting the xbox-one in a few months.

Support
Support

There were a couple of difficulty spikes in the original release of Ego Draconis, which made it less forgiving in some places if you went into areas above your character level.
There was also a level dependence in combat in the original release, reduced in DKS, which made opponents more than a few levels below your character not a threat even in groups, and opponents more than a few levels higher pretty much impossible.

Level 30 is a little low for the Hall of Echoes. Average end level is in the low to mid thirties, with 36 about the highest you can get without taking advantage of a couple places where opponents can respawn.

It is unfortunate that you are at a dead end... Can you backup your save to a flash drive and try it in your friend's Xbox? It wouldn't quite be the same, but you could watch the end of a Let's Play on youtube to see the ending.

In any case, the add-on Flames of Vengeance is only available as part of DKS on the Xbox. Missing the last 10 minutes of D2:ED isn't really a big deal if you are going to get DKS anyway, and if you don't think it is worth getting DKS to conclude the story of the Dragon Knight, then stopping slightly earlier than you were planning to shouldn't matter either.
FoV became too large for DLC, as was originally intended, and Larian could find any publishers for a retail release except in Germany.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Yeah I think I'll just let the game go and give it back to the person I borrowed it from as trying to get a game save onto a flash drive isn't possible for me unfortunately as I don't own a flash drive with enough space. Face+Palm.

My bigger issue is my console I just got it back in 09 it's a slim 4gb edition which I had to buy a separate hdd for, at another $200 which was a rip off but anyway the console isn't old enough to be giving me these issues but it is.

So far this is the third game to repeatedly crash on me in the last six months one of which was my BF3 single player disk which refuses to load even with the disk installed.

I'm thinking that most of my issues with this game are the consoles fault which is unfortunate because it's really shading my opinion of MS and their products.

I would have been a much higher level but some of the side quests wouldn't update so that I could finish them so I lost ten different ones resulting in a loss of possible xp.

Support
Support

I guess at this point it doesn't really matter, but what side quests weren't updating? There shouldn't be any problem finding quest items before getting the related quest, and I don't recall any bugs with missing speech options, etc, that would break quests.

Divinity 2: Ego Draconis All-Purpose Guide

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Broken valley quests A hunting we shall go wouldn't update to after several attempts to give five goblin hearts to the buyer.

The Fortune Teller wouldn't update after following the white rabbit at the foot of the hill I chased the thing around for nearly ten minutes and still couldn't find the supposed treasure.

Orabas Fjords quest line On the road again would not update after the second transfer of zeppelin parts I was able to find enough parts for a third transfer to the zeppelin master but it wouldn't give me the text line to transfer the parts.

Second quest line from my Necromancer at my battle tower A ring from the Ring I believe it was and was supposed to find a ring at Stone's flying fortress, I was able to defeat the main boss but was unable to find the ring where it was supposed to be.

The rest were small side quests from the village in Broken Valley.

C
stranger
stranger
C
On the DKS version I believe the goblin heart quest never updates. Keeps it open if you happen to find another heart... I think.

Stones flying fortress there are two bosses there. You may only have defeated his brother. Again not sure.

Never played ego draconis btw. Just DKS.

Last edited by crillgamer; 26/06/13 09:54 PM.
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Yeah the goblin heart quest is an open-ended quest but stopped giving me the text option to transfer the five hearts after my first two successful attempts earlier on when I'd only had a couple hearts on me.

As far as Stones flying fortress I did defeat the two flying demons/un-dead? that Stone summons as well as killing Stone but the ring was nowhere to be found.

The zeppelin parts mission just wouldn't allow me to proceed even with the necessary amount of parts after the first two times so I don't know what was going on with that.

As a side note I had to take two different title updates from xbl before being able to play the game so I don't know if the updates could be the culprit just a thought.

Support
Support

Richard will offer you a second quest after you turn in at least 1 goblin heart, but that is not related to 'A hunting we shall go'. You should be able to turn hearts in as you find them, though.

The white rabbit should lead you north and then turn to the west to a chest that spawns on the river bank as you approach. The rabbit can be a little hard to see, but should stop and wait for you.

A few people have had trouble finding all the zeppelin parts to complete the quest, but I don't recall any issues of having a part and not being able to turn it in.

A couple people reported not getting Stone's Ring after defeating him in the arena (after the first encounter in his headquarters and following him through a teleporter).
The boss outside in Stone's fortress is Xanlosch (and his pet Isabelle). He only summons two flying demons if you destroy the generator there controlling the anti-dragon field.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I did accept the second quest from Richard and thats when the problem started.

I think I messed something up somewhere along the way as I believe I skipped some things in the beginning because I stumbled upon Talana for the first time and was only a level 7.

I'd done some core missions directly after finding her and accepting her mission to destroy Damian which I believe locked me out of the side quests that I was currently on.

It wasn't A Hunting We Shall Go but Heart Taker my apologies.

Lovis Loot and Lost for Words were two others that wouldn't update they just ended with a black screen and a reset.

Support
Support

In D2:ED I turned in hearts after accepting Richard's second quest (after the first couple I started saving them to turn in all at once). In DKS I turned in all the hearts before using the speech option about that quest, since I planned to refuse it.

Level 7 sounds about right for the meeting with Talana (I went up to level 7 after killing a couple opponents in the dragon sequence). In DKS quest experience was increased and other balancing changes made to make levelling a little faster at the beginning of the game; I hit level 7 a little after the encounter with Talana, but with lots of quests left to turn in (so I could have been a couple levels higher).

For Lovis' Loot, you can either use the scrying stone yourself, or bring it back to the priest unused. Both result in the door at the bottom of Lovis' tower being unlocked. If your problem was with one of the solutions, maybe the other would have worked.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I was getting the black screen and reset after attempting to collect the stone so I stopped trying.

The first two attempts at accepting Lovis's lost soul quest failed due to the game crashing but I was able to get by the problem by letting the console cool down for a couple of hours.

I was able to get the ring from Stone last night after resetting to a much older save and just continued from there I'm now a Level 31 with most of my skills maxed out at five some of them have had their level caps increased by using my trainer.

I'm thinking about waiting to re-try the Hall of Souls until I hit level forty at least.

Last night while I was at Stones flying fortress taking out the anti-dragon defenses the game actually attempted to crash I kept getting severe frame rate lag my dragon would literally be paused mid air without my having paused the game and the only way out of it was to hit the dashboard button on the controller to kind of give the game a kick in the behind and it would then load a little more and pause again so I had to force my way to the ground and save.

After that letting the console cool off for an hour seemed to solve the problem.

I think the game has too much going on when in an intense action sequence and the processor in the console just can't load it all.

Support
Support

That does sound like your Xbox has heat problems, unfortunately.

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Yeah the internal heat sink is giving a weird whirring noise of late and I have an inter-cooler installed to help but it's not helping enough it seems.

Thanks for the help and hints they were very useful. smile

It's odd that my console is overheating or almost when it's not really doing much with the disk since the game is installed to create much extra heat.

I think my internal heat sink may be failing which is just another reason to go next-gen I guess.

I was told by some very helpful people over at X-BOX support that the slims especially the 4gb editions have been found to have a lot of problems including running older games and that my issues are normal for a slim that is over two years old.

I got a first run slim and thats never a good idea as the first run of anything tends to be chalk full of issues that go unnoticed until its too late.

Again thanks for the help. smile

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard