Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
W
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
I'm pretty new to the Divinity games but ever since I bought Divinity 2 : TDKS, I fell for it. And now when I saw Original Sin, the first thing that came up to my head was " Is it comin' for consoles?", wich made wanna ask you if anyone knows. Would be glad for an answer.

addict
addict
Nope only for PC, Macs and linux as far as i know.

Support
Support

As X-tasy said, the short answer is that no console versions have been announced/confirmed.

There was a topic some time ago, however, where Larian asked if people were interested in controller support (Good isometric RPGs with controller support?). If they were to add that, then a console version was possible. With the extra work from the kickstarter stretch goals, though, I'm not sure controller support would be very high on the to do list.

I don't recall Larian ever mentioning what they decided, or if they decided anything, about controller support, but theoretically there is at least the possibility that a console version could conceivably be released at some point after the PC/Mac/Linux release.

Welcome to the forum. wave

stranger
stranger
Maybe, when the PC-Version is very succesfull, then they will try to port the game to the consoles. That would be the best Option I think. When they release it the same time people will start flaming on them because they didn´t care for the PC/Console Community.

I am more a Console-Gamer and would definitly buy D:OS a second time for my XBox360 if they really bring it for Consoles. And I also like to have a Controller-Support.

Metal is like an apple:
It´s all good except the Core...
old hand
old hand
With Xbox (even XBOX-one) your dealing with an inferior system compared to most computers these days. Larian, from the success of their kickstarter campaign, is making the game world more populated and "dense" meaning a larger game. They won't be able to put it out on the XBOX with all the new features. It would be the game version prior to the kickstarter campaign.

There were a lot of unexpected restrictions with Divinity 2 due to the XBOX version such as having less animations, npcs, effects present at the same time. It is quite a sad story to be honest and a road they will avoid. All that and then the over-head licensing fees they had to pay.

Last edited by LightningLockey; 04/07/13 09:43 AM.

Every time there I run into trouble on the road, there is always a dwarf at the bottom of it. Don't they know how to drive above ground?
Support
Support

The intent during the kickstarter was to keep the system requirements as low as possible, since the expectation was that most households would not have 2 gaming PCs, so a significant portion of the people playing co-op together would likely have at least one person playing on a laptop.

stranger
stranger
I saw some gameplay material and my impression was that the game hasn´t high-end graphics or overkill effects. The whole game seems to be more "down to earth". So in my opinion that wouldn´t be a problem for the consoles.

Metal is like an apple:
addict
addict
Well if you have some free time you could do it smile. Since their pretty busy according Svens last blog.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Soulcollector
I saw some gameplay material and my impression was that the game hasn´t high-end graphics or overkill effects. The whole game seems to be more "down to earth". So in my opinion that wouldn´t be a problem for the consoles.

The main problem for a port to consoles would be the interface (and especially: the controls). Porting a game that actually uses the complex interaction allowed by a PC (kb shortcuts+mouse) to a controller adequately is *hard* as is the other way around.

The general approach to this problem is forcing a console focused UX on PC gamers doing minimal effort to actually adjust it, this generally doesn't work well (see Witcher 2, Fallout3, Skyrim...and a billion other bad[at least UX-wise] console ports). Note that this way a lot of console specific "features" bleed through to PC, generally these things are considered misfeatures when they arrive (like the obviously console-focused minigames in the 2nd Witcher).

The other way around is, imho, pretty much impossible (if anybody has an idea on how to port for example Baldur's Gate II to consoles without loss of functionality I'm sure quite a few people would like to hear it)

Of course, the *good* way to do it would to totally redesign the UX for each platform, taking into account the gameplay mechanics of these kinds of isometric cRPGs I don't consider this option particularly feasible.

Last edited by theBlackDragon; 04/07/13 11:35 AM.

* as usual this is imho (unless stated otherwise); feel free to disagree, ignore or try to change my mind. Agreeing with me is ofc also allowed, but makes for much worse flamewarsarguments.

It is a full moon night and ... bèèè! ... the Weresheep are out...
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by theBlackDragon

The main problem for a port to consoles would be the interface (and especially: the controls). Porting a game that actually uses the complex interaction allowed by a PC (kb shortcuts+mouse) to a controller adequately is *hard* as is the other way around.

The general approach to this problem is forcing a console focused UX on PC gamers doing minimal effort to actually adjust it, this generally doesn't work well (see Witcher 2, Fallout3, Skyrim...and a billion other bad[at least UX-wise] console ports). Note that this way a lot of console specific "features" bleed through to PC, generally these things are considered misfeatures when they arrive (like the obviously console-focused minigames in the 2nd Witcher).

The other way around is, imho, pretty much impossible (if anybody has an idea on how to port for example Baldur's Gate II to consoles without loss of functionality I'm sure quite a few people would like to hear it)

Of course, the *good* way to do it would to totally redesign the UX for each platform, taking into account the gameplay mechanics of these kinds of isometric cRPGs I don't consider this option particularly feasible.

I never would doubt that. Of the whole UI has to be redesigned. But as said earlier Larian already thought of Controller Support for the PC-version. If they do that, a console-port is not that difficult.
And there were also good PC to Console ports in the past. The best example is Morrowind, which worked well on the Xbox.
And turn based RPGs are not unusal on consoles. During the PS1 era there were many (good) TB-RPGs. I won´t say a concole-port is easy to do, but it is not impossible.
Especially TB games don´t need very complex controls. This is not Starcraft where you need dozens of shortcuts and macros.

Metal is like an apple:
enthusiast
enthusiast
Especially TB games don´t need very complex controls. This is not Starcraft where you need dozens of shortcuts and macros.

Actually yes it is pretty much like Starcraft. I never played Morrowind but I assume the UI/gameplay is similar to Oblivion, porting these kind of first person games to a console is plenty doable (as Skyrim with its console UI proves). However, just because it is an RPG doens't mean MOrrowind is at all similar to D:OS, if anything it's more similar to Quake than to D:OS in the UX realm.

From what I've seen D:OS is more akin to the Infinity Engine games UX-wise (or, obviously, Divine Divinity), porting those to a controller is pretty much not done as they rely very heavily on the mouse for selecting things in the world (unlike, say, Final Fantasy).

The only somewhat successful attempt at a console port of a game in this vein would be Dragon Age: Origins and it was generally agreed that even though the console port didn't suck horribly the PC version was *vastly* superior (iirc they had to cut the pause option from the combat and simplify combat to boot to make the port at all possible).

Porting D:OS would be akin to porting Heroes of Might and Magic to the console, something I don't see happening without major simplification in both the UX as well as the gameplay (something that's apparently being considered too, there goes another franchise down the drain...)

Last edited by theBlackDragon; 04/07/13 01:21 PM.

* as usual this is imho (unless stated otherwise); feel free to disagree, ignore or try to change my mind. Agreeing with me is ofc also allowed, but makes for much worse flamewarsarguments.

stranger
stranger

From what I've seen D:OS is more akin to the Infinity Engine games UX-wise (or, obviously, Divine Divinity), porting those to a controller is pretty much not done as they rely very heavily on the mouse for selecting things in the world (unlike, say, Final Fantasy).

The only somewhat successful attempt at a console port of a game in this vein would be Dragon Age: Origins and it was generally agreed that even though the console port didn't suck horribly the PC version was *vastly* superior (iirc they had to cut the pause option from the combat and simplify combat to boot to make the port at all possible).

Well i played Baldurs Gate and others only with the Mouse and Spacebar. Thats just a couple of buttons. The problem is to transfer the indirect point and click controls to direct button control. It worked with some Action-RPGs like Dark Alliance or Champions of Norrath which are Diablo-clones on PS2. Why shouldn´t it be possible to transfer the Infinity-Engine Controls either? These Controls are very similar to Diablo/Torchlight.

Morrowind was just an example for a good port, I know that it is totally different to D:OS. And Morrowind UI is NOT Oblivion, especially the UI.

Metal is like an apple:
enthusiast
enthusiast
The problem is to transfer the indirect point and click controls to direct button control.

Which is the whole problem.

It worked with some Action-RPGs like Dark Alliance or Champions of Norrath which are Diablo-clones on PS2. Why shouldn´t it be possible to transfer the Infinity-Engine Controls either? These Controls are very similar to Diablo/Torchlight.

Torchlight is a very simple game UI wise (only one character to control, very limited inventory managed and interactivity with the world, character could easily be moved around the world with direction keys instead of a mouse if need be, limited number of abilities that can be put on the UI, etc). I didn't like Diablo one bit and as such have stayed away from Diablo 2 and 3 and most of their clones (Torchlight being a notable exception) so I can't comment on those.

Torchlight is, frankly, nothing like the IE games at all. Just to name one major problem IE games have that Torchlight doesn't: you have up to 6 characters to control with point and click.

Morrowind was just an example for a good port, I know that it is totally different to D:OS. And Morrowind UI is NOT Oblivion, especially the UI.

Honestly, I still don't see why Morrowind is relevant. Of course certain games are portable if one wants to put in some effort. I can name a few other good ports, but a lot more bad to terrible ports (well, I already pointed some out earlier wink ).

If it could be easily done I don't see why it wasn't done. Note that for Baldur's Gate they actually made a *new* game in order to be able to release a BG on console.

You could say that was then and now is now, but if people suddenly got some magical insight in how to port these types of games adequately without having to make trade-offs in gameplay, why is Wasteland 2 (also turn based btw) PC only? Why is Torment: Tides of Nemenera PC only? Why is Project: Eternity PC only? Because gameplay affecting trade-offs *have* to be made to be able to port these with an acceptable amount of effort, trade-offs that they do not want to make *because* they affect the gameplay.

stranger
stranger

Torchlight is a very simple game UI wise (only one character to control, very limited inventory managed and interactivity with the world, character could easily be moved around the world with direction keys instead of a mouse if need be, limited number of abilities that can be put on the UI, etc). I didn't like Diablo one bit and as such have stayed away from Diablo 2 and 3 and most of their clones (Torchlight being a notable exception) so I can't comment on those.

In what way (regarding to the controls) is Baldurs Gate more complicated in world interaction than Diablo and other ARPGs? You just point and click on things. It´s just the number of NPCs, Items, dialogue-options or whatever that is increasing. The kind of interaction is the same still the same: Point and Click.
Even the number of characters is no problem. It should be possible to switch between the characters with one button.

Metal is like an apple:
enthusiast
enthusiast

In what way (regarding to the controls) is Baldurs Gate more complicated in world interaction than Diablo and other ARPGs? You just point and click on things. It´s just the number of NPCs, Items, dialogue-options or whatever that is increasing. The kind of interaction is the same still the same: Point and Click.
Even the number of characters is no problem. It should be possible to switch between the characters with one button.

Yeah, it's "just"...all those "just"s do add up though. There's also the spellbook etc etc.

I have no interest in running in circles in this discussion so I am just going to direct you to inXile and Obsidian, if it were possible to do it without impact on the gameplay I'm very sure they would have done it as the engine they're licensing supports consoles, the fact that they specifically don't should be evidence enough in itself. And at least Obsidian has stated that they'd have to majorly change the gameplay to make it work on consoles, which is why they don't bother.

T
stranger
stranger
T
I'm playing X-Com: Enemy Unknown on 360 and it plays quite nicely with a controller. I would argue that, even though it isn't an RPG, it is probably a better example of how D:OS could work with controllers than Baldur's Gate, Torchlight, Diablo, etc. That is because X-Com (like D:OS) is turn-based.

I'm not arguing whether or not Larian should spend their time with controller support or console ports (actually though, I would enjoy controller support on PC), just pointing out that tactical, squad-based, turn-based combat has been done well on a console platform.

addict
addict
Ah, so that's where they did better than a halfarsed job on that game [/bitterness over most misspent money ever].

There is little doubt over "if it can work". The question lies in "will they have time and resources for it" in the grand scheme of making a fantastic game.

Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.
W
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
W
Thanks for letting me know. I'm still goin to buy it for the pc and if D:OS comes for Xbox i'll buy it to. Just have to keep my hopes high since am that more of a console guy. But still thanks for all the answers.

Link Copied to Clipboard