Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
I'm getting really annoyed with the interruptions. I originally expected Dragon Commander to be an RTS game. Complete a mission, get presented with the next. When I saw the turn based map I was less enthused but still interested in playing even with a lot of recycled environments.

After ending a turn all I want to do is move my units and initiate the next battle. Instead I get pulled back to the bridge to deal with something that isn't adding to the story.

I'd rather have all the decisions presented at the beginning of a chapter so I can get them out of the way leaving me free to focus just on the map.

journeyman
journeyman
Any time the strategy map on the bridge has a blue dome on it you can go straight to the mission and battles. As long as it is blue you can keep going without going through any political discussions.

Support
Support

A multiplayer campaign against AI (on a selectable map) would get rid of the story and the entire section on The Raven (you would do research from the strategy map).

For the single player campaign, even if the dome is red, you usually just need to visit one other location, click through a conversation and return to the bridge. Any outstanding political proposals will be decided by the majority.

OP Offline
That's the annoyance. I want to play through the story and get the results of the decisions (reduced unit cost, gold, motivation) but I want to get all of them done in one go so I don't have to be pulled out of the map at all.

veteran
veteran
Impossible.

The decisions are randomly generated and you get about 1 a turn. There is not a fixed set or certain amount of decision per chapter, it depends on how long you take, which is dependent on how fast you move through the strategy map. Your decisions affect the support you get, which affects the RTS.

Besides, if doing one decision a turn is enough to make you gripe, I can't imagine that you'd like to sit through about 300 decisions in a row before you can play on the strategy map.

OP Offline
Not so. In chapter 1 I run out of issues at turn 23 and they have always been the same. Perhaps they become random part way into chapter 2 but I suspect there is a way to exhaust them. Then maybe more are unlocked in chapter 3. What I want to do is focus on one thing. It's the constant switching between them that bothers me.

Between turns 4 and 22 there are 18 choices. 2 on turn 4 and not on turn 12 or 19. I wouldn't mind doing 18 of them in a long stretch as long as I won't have to deal with until the next chapter.

I envision this could be done by having a chart of the choices with their effects and checking off approve or reject. You could also have the option to jump to the debate or other conservations from this screen.

veteran
veteran
Chapter 1 is different. The first 5 decisions in Chapter 1 are always the same, but after that it's random, but they stop showing up once you start taking too long in that Chapter.

I really don't think your idea is going to happen. The game is set up this way for a reason, to integrate the phases so that each one slowly builds on the previous ones. It will not be the same if you were to just throw 20 decisions and consequences on top on one turn.

If you just want the decisions over with, just click through the dialogue as soon as you can. If you actually want to listen to the dialogue, then I don't understand what your problem with one decision at a time is.

OP Offline
Originally Posted by Stabbey
Chapter 1 is different. The first 5 decisions in Chapter 1 are always the same, but after that it's random, but they stop showing up once you start taking too long in that Chapter.

Does difficulty effect that? I've been through chapter 1 a few times to take notes and all 18 were the same.

I think that refers to the council proposals. There's a standard 'opening set' that you see in Chapter 1. After that, they're randomly chosen from a fairly long list about once every three turns.

If you play a 'custom campaign' then the council decisions are random from the outset, but you won't be going through the three phases or have the Raven elements of the story that appear in Chapter 2 and Chapter 3 of the Story campaign. (You also start out married in a custom campaign.)

Moderated by  ForkTong, Issh, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard