Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
J
Hello,

I'd just like to request that you please increase the max number of players in a game for us modders.

i.e, if I wanted to use the toolset to make a bigger game with like 16 players in a TB deathmatch, that would be cool. More players = more different mod games we can make!

veteran
veteran
Related, I'm curious to know if you can DECREASE the minimum players in a mod to 1.

journeyman
journeyman
I'm pretty sure that if you want you can make a game/mod that only allows 1 player but for 16... Well no idea wink

J
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
J
I heard somewhere - can't remember where - that the "actual" max was six for mods, or four in the game.

enthusiast
enthusiast
@Stabbey
Uhahahaha- OUR wishes are same Of course you will be able to set 1 player I`m pretty sure -Why so serious?
Otherwise it doesn`t make sense

Last edited by James 540; 13/10/13 11:40 AM.

Experience is a hard master but a good teacher-Proverb of RPG player (c)
addict
addict
hmm 16 might be a bit much, least right away~

stranger
stranger
Please Do not devote resources to increasing Multi Player Size. The ways you can troll...this is a game to play only with people you know.

addict
addict
increasing the number of players will increase the complexity of the game especially in interactions and dialogues

"-Oh that's fullmoon, cuttie cuttie sheep
-baaaaaaOOOOORGH"
***Sprotch***

Weresheeps will rule the world (At least one night every 29 days)
J
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
J
I know more than five people and I'd like to make a D&D-like campaign with them in it. This would be an original mod.

Obviously, without a higher number of players, I have to tell some people in my group that they're not invited.

addict
addict
While it's nice that you would do that, I think Larian already considered their resources and audience when deciding the limits of the game and editor.

Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.
apprentice
apprentice
Not sure of that smile Look where NWN1 got eventually. Just because of good toolset, 64players in multiplayer and DM client. And it was meant for small groups of friends initially as well. I understand Bioware regretted it in the end but it's still one of the best games ever done. And persistent worlds made miracles with it.

journeyman
journeyman
What did Bioware regret in the end? Allowing up to 64 players or intending it to be for smaller groups initially?

I love NWN1 too, though the core campaign is poor, the toolset and custom modules made it the RPG I've played the most. I still play it and don't even feel it's dated much. I hope D:OS' toolset will allow for similar experiences.

apprentice
apprentice
regret making it to be able to live way beyond their desire and usage. NWN was never meant for persistent worlds. A lot of things are not done well to support it. But the community did it. And a lot of things needed to be fixed in hardcode.

I believe "the last official patch" should be 1.66 as diamond version came out. And they did it just because the game was still played a lot. They didn't want to make any other support they said smile But they were forced by community to every and each patch after that. Not many games gets a huge patch 6 years after original release.

I like even the campaign. Playing it time to time. It is good. It can be considered weak only when compared to what people made in years after release. Still waiting to some game with at least similar possibilities.

Last edited by Elenoe; 20/10/13 11:59 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
1.66 was a big patch alright, the last one was 1.69 which was 6 years after release. It's a good reason to support it because it was played a lot though!

I had no idea they felt like that about it, I can understand they must be disappointed other games of theirs didn't have that sort of longevity but I'm surprised they regretted it.

I think the main campaign is quite weak compared to a lot of RPGs really, HotU was okay but the core NWN campaign was 4 levels of going to 4 quarters and killing something. There were a few nice parts but nothing much when even compared to Baldur's Gate for example. Maybe I should replay it though, it has been quite some years since I played through it so perhaps it's better than I remember.

I feel the same though in regard to waiting to play a game with similar possibilities. But I still don't see anything replacing NWN for me.

addict
addict
Originally Posted by moktira
But I still don't see anything replacing NWN for me.

If it's too accurate of a replacement, the maker risks getting sued for plagiarism/copyright infringement.

Unless otherwise specified, just an opinion or simple curiosity.
journeyman
journeyman
I didn't mean in terms of a remake or replica, there are certainly things that could be done differently or better, i meant in terms of my love of it and the fact that i don't really want a replacement for it. I think I'm unlikely to find an RPG that i personally will be as into.

apprentice
apprentice
Originally Posted by moktira
1.66 was a big patch alright, the last one was 1.69 which was 6 years after release. It's a good reason to support it because it was played a lot though!

I had no idea they felt like that about it, I can understand they must be disappointed other games of theirs didn't have that sort of longevity but I'm surprised they regretted it.
good reason to support it yes. But their main interest are money ofc. And supporting something that old while you should develop and sell new things... makes you loose on both sides (you spend more time AND people don't feel the need to buy anything else).

Same as MS still supporting WinXP. Many times prolonged. They were "forced" to. But it's bad for business if it doesn't help your name anymore (MS doesn't need it, BW doesn't need it).

Last edited by Elenoe; 24/10/13 03:16 PM.
J
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
J
NWN remained on bestseller lists for for nearly 8 years... long after the game was considered obsolete by mainstream gamers... because of the modding community.

Reward your modding community and Divinity: Original Sin could still be selling tens of thousands of copies in 2019. Look it up, see what happened to the games with modding. Look at the publicly available numbers from various companies whose titles are renowed for modding. Remember that we're still playing source, DotA was still a thing 6 years after the last expansion from Blizzard. Do you want to create the game that spawns a whole new genre, like WC3 did with the MOBA?

Games with vibrant modding communities survive. Games without them slip under the waves in a couple of years, forgotten titles no one talks about anymore.

Increased players on the server goes a long way in modding longevity. When you weigh the value of doing this vs. spending the time polishing some irrelevant feature like sun rays for the thousandth time, keep in mind you're talking about the game's legacy. Not one year after launch but eight years.

Will they still be talking about Divinity: Original Sin?

It's up to you.

Last edited by J.Thurlow; 25/10/13 12:54 AM.
The community was indeed also one of the reasons why UT2K4 are the best shooter out there. The campaign only lasted so long (despite the harder difficulties being absolutely inhuman)

stranger
stranger
If you can increase the max players so we can make a PW like NwN out of this game i will sell my soul to Satan and give you the profit.

We need a new game for PWs!

Last edited by My name is Shar; 09/07/14 10:16 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard