Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
OP Offline
This seems like a necessity to me as a forum like this is kind of a terrible place to gather information about bugs and general feedback about the alpha. Everything is just all jumbled together in a confused mess.

Larian, and DOS itself, would be greatly served if a "ticket" system could be engineered, similar to what InXile is doing for their Wasteland 2 beta. Essentially, all testers would have access to a website where they could submit tickets to Larian directly--which would be divided between "bugs" and "suggestions."

Even that simple segregation would make sorting through user feedback a lot easier.

In addition, Bug feedback would be partitioned into categories--what's bugging? The UI? The inventory system? Abilities? Menus? Etc., etc.

Everything could easily be sorted and bug reports/suggestions delivered directly to the people who can best respond to the issues.

For the time being, we put an effort on the weresheep.net wiki to make an overview of the information available here, as a community effort. More information can be found in this post.

Weresheep of Original Sin: Facebook | homepage (WIP wink )
sheep is the plural of sheep oops
veteran
veteran
1. Because mods not doing good work by merging duplicates and sorting things out.
2. Because of users themselves, most of them plain lazy to check the section, they just click NEW THREAD

And no, ticket solution won't be better because I'm pretty sure that internal bug tracker of Larian filled with bunch of these and they don't need another headache (which most likely again will be filled with duplicates or similar issues).

More importantly, I'm pretty sure devs are aware of most technical issues and all others all 99% related to unfinished scripts (quests, placeholder, gameplay mechanics). For now they are looking for more general feedback like how gameplay feels, how game plays, how magic system works and how things are balanced right now. Just something to use as direction for polishing.

Last edited by Kein; 19/12/13 02:40 AM.
J
apprentice
apprentice
J
Originally Posted by Arsene Lupin
Larian, and DOS itself, would be greatly served if a "ticket" system could be engineered, similar to what InXile is doing for their Wasteland 2 beta.

Is anyone else interested in this? I could put together a community run "unofficial bug tracker," if people are interested. Anyone who wants to join me and help run it would be welcome to... PM me

Last edited by J.Thurlow; 19/12/13 02:53 AM.
OP Offline
And no, ticket solution won't be better because I'm pretty sure that internal bug tracker of Larian filled with bunch of these and they don't need another headache (which most likely again will be filled with duplicates or similar issues).

That's not even remotely true. An internal bug tracker will only reveal a very, very, very small portion of the bugs in a game. This is why game testing is ESSENTIAL for game development, for everyone. Saying Larian shouldn't bother testing their game because it would be "too hard" for them is absurd. They are game developers, game testing is part of game development, as is improving and fixing the game based on feedback from that testing.

It's also silly to claim that all of the issues will inevitably be fixed when the game is finished. Obviously, every bug is the result of something that's not finished... because it's only "finished" when it's not bugged.

And it's also inevitable that duplicate suggestions/bug reports would be filed NO MATTER the medium. A ticket system would organize and sort that information. With a forum, everything is lumped in one place--actually, more than one place, as with no clear venue for feedback, people will be giving alpha feedback on a half-dozen different forums.

The simple fact of the matter is that a ticket system has nothing but advantages over the current "nothing" system. And arguing against it because you're afraid that taking the time to establish an efficient method of delivering feedback in order to better develop the game might give someone a headache is, frankly, offensive.

Last edited by Arsene Lupin; 19/12/13 05:32 AM.
veteran
veteran
Saying Larian shouldn't bother testing their game because it would be "too hard" for them is absurd.

And where did I say that?

It's also silly to claim that all of the issues will inevitably be fixed when the game is finished. Obviously, every bug is the result of something that's not finished... because it's only "finished" when it's not bugged.

If you did bother reading what I said then, instead of jumping to conclusions. you would know I was talking about unfinished scripts which is now an issue in the alpha and which will be reported by swarm of ignorant users not realizing that such issues ARE NOT VALID because scripts simply not finished and saying "this quest does not work", this "character does do that, doesn't give this" holds NO value because they aren't supposed to do that - it is simply not implemented and I'm pretty sure Bert Stevens is completely aware which scripts he finished and which he didn't yet. So yes, it will be a lot of duplicate and useless reports.

And for technical issues there is a thread:
http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=476120#Post476120

Started by member of QA team and it just 3 pages and not a mess - very easy to navigate for anyone.

Nope, I'm still not seeing any point in bugtracker.

Link Copied to Clipboard