Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
I think the aspect of the two characters talking amongst themselves before deciding on a dialog choice needs to be called out better. This is a thread for discussing that, not just my ideas but whatever people think up.

• Have a "you step aside to discuss your response privately" text added to the chat log when starting such a dialog. (Duo-log? Ouch.)
  • Add the two characters portraits facing each other from either side of the dialog screen. Highlight each portrait in some way to show which one is talking, both in the duolog and the dialog.
  • Change the color of the background or the text choice for each character in the dialog duolog. (heh, see what I did there?)
  • Have a quick tutorial, preferably right at the beginning (or with the Bibius and Junius dialog). Walk through and explain the mechanics of the duolog in a manner that doesn't slow down replay.

When I first played I didn't know my main quest was to investigate a murder until I found it in the log just sitting there. On replay I noticed it mentioned on the beach in the banter back and forth. I'd suggest it working into the first dialog as well as the duolog tutorial.

Laborious puns aside, let me know what you think.

Last edited by bargeral; 22/12/13 01:58 AM.
veteran
veteran
Oh... colour-coding the text for who is speaking... I like it. That would mean making sure that player 1's portrait is always one colour, and player two's another, regardless of which portrait you choose, though.

stranger
stranger
it could choose the colour based on what was defined at character creation? (though in the alpha both my created characters were locked to being scarlet/red)

but agree with the idea. it's tricky keeping track of whom the one to one conversation is involving.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
I'd also like to see already chosen dialogs color marked too.

Maybe:
  • White ----- Current Player ---- Unread
  • Li. Grey -- Current Player ---- Partially read tree
  • Dark Grey - Current Player ---- Fully read tree
  • Red ------- Player One
  • Blue ------ Player Two

This is assuming you never get to revisit duologs, else you'd need a light red (pink) and light blue (bink?) as well.

apprentice
OP Offline
apprentice
looking at some of the screenshots on the front page they have portraits and it's much more clear which character is speaking. I think maybe it's related to the multiplayer being not enabled - or they display things different for single player. I hope the go back to the style in the screenshots.

stranger
stranger
I was looking at that too and it looks a lot easier to see who is talking, I have to +1 to go back to that or something similar.

veteran
veteran
Have a "you step aside to discuss your response privately" text added to the chat log when starting such a dialog. (Duo-log? Ouch.)

This eliminates the whole point of the game with 2 dedicated characters. may as well just remove Scarllet from it at all or make optional companion.

Link Copied to Clipboard