Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
N
Trying to protect Zandalor in Aleroth from the swarms of things while he cast a spell to close the final hellish portal is
maddeningly frustrating. I have been at it for a few hours spread over a few days with no success.
I play a melee fighter, with a buffed creature to help and good area spells, but I cannot get them all and Zandalor must restat the spell casting....for the thousandth time.
Is there some good tactic for the protection, or some trick? I would really like to move on to the endgame.
Thanks for the help.

Support
Support

Do you have other things left to do? The easiest solution would probably be to come back at a higher level, when you have better equipment, and can do damage faster. If not, in a save before starting the final section of rifts, head back to your battle tower and upgrade enchantments (particularly Increased Damage and Increased Magical Damage, and if you are hanging on to any malachite gems now is as good a time as any to use them), use any charms you may have been saving, etc. You could first check available merchants for equipment upgrades, if you had not done so since the last time you levelled.

What class is your creature? A mage head would probably be better than a ranger head, and either better than a warrior head, IMO. A demon summon could also help, if you have a skill point or two to spare, or that bonus on a piece of jewellery.

If you stick close to Zandalor you should have an easier time protecting him. I stayed just in front of him to cover those two rifts, occasionally having to Rush Attack a memory eater from the rift in the back. I used a bow to attack opponents from the front 2 rifts (mostly the right one); it didn't do much damage (hadn't invested in any ranger skills), but it did help draw opponents to me, rather than have them go directly to Zandalor (my creature mostly got the attention of the opponents from the left rift).
I was level 35 or 36 when I did that section, one of the final things before heading to the hall of echoes (duel wielding maxed, level 10 Bleed, etc).

If you are not already playing on easy you could temporarily lower the difficulty.

N
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
N
Thanks for the helpful tips. I am going to reassess my fighter's build, enchantments and equipment, also my helper.
I am at level 35' but I am a sword and shield fighter, which may not be as fast as a duel wield,nor do as much damage, so I will redo, maybe, by skill points for better results.
BTW, DDED is lots of fun; I have only been stymied early in the game before I got into the flow, and am looking forward to buyin a copy of the expansion to finish all.
I appreciate your input. NM

Support
Support

Sword and shield shouldn't be that much worse than dual wielding (the general consensus being that duel wielding and two handed were the most effective in D2:ED); you would do less base damage, but have a faster attack.

apprentice
apprentice
I found that one frustrating as well, which is why I always stick to this same tactic over and over again whenever I reach that place:

I make sure my character is overpowered.

I attack whatever is on my sight. If they're close to Zandalor, I attack them. If they're far from Zandalor, I'll attack them too. I just attack, attack, attack.

I remember in an instance, Zandalor had to keep restarting his magic portal thing because I couldn't draw enough enemies with me. I had a melee character back then, and all I did was not give up and just mindlessly hack all over the place.

And as luck would have it, it worked.

Sometimes all it takes is a little bit of luck and a little bit of common-sense strategy.

Click below for a Divine Divinity Walthrough (Warriors only!!):

https://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=458919#Post458919
apprentice
apprentice
the ring of fire spell and whirlwind tactic are two nice things to have when doing this area. just be sure you have enough mana to back it up. it still takes a bit of time, but you'll get there

Moderated by  Bvs, ForkTong, Larian_QA, Lar_q, Lynn, Macbeth, Raze 

Link Copied to Clipboard