Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#478142 14/01/14 07:20 PM
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Combat is a pretty critical aspect of the game, and speed, is by far the ONLY attribute that you have to increase. Screw having any others, more action points = better everything.

Basically, this is an issue that I see that needs to be resolved. This ability/attribute is SO vital to combat, that it just... it screws with actually building a decent roleplaying character, simply because combat is almost impossible if you only have 5 ap (that's like... 1 attack?). So in order to actually have a chance in combat, I have to completely sacrifice all other abilities. This includes strength, dexterity, intelligence, whatever... And then focus my talents in whatever gets me bonus AP.

There is just something fundamentally wrong with this.

If I were to make a suggestion, I would separate moving and action points and have them separate. So, moving would would consume a different bar, and possibly be influenced by different attributes, and action points being what you would use for actual combat or interaction.

This is just a thought, but it's a major concern of mine, being one of the bigger backers of the project.

veteran
veteran
I thought that Speed was overpowered once too. So I tried making a warrior with 10 Speed, 5 everything else. It was not the fearsome monster I thought it might be. Instead, he whiffed tons of attacks, even on the low level enemies he was facing. Getting an extra attack per round was not terribly helpful, since I missed most attacks anyway.

Having only 5 Constitution is also probably not a good idea for a front-line warrior, since the warrior is already a bit too squishy as is.

You are correct in that warriors tend to be slow. I'm not sure that separating movement out of action points will be very easy to do, and I'm not sure doing that would make it any easier to balance warriors and ranged characters.

enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Well the problem that I faced the most with speed, was that I could spec out the melee weapons skill (reducing all of the other ones) up to 10, with speed of 10, with all of the 'perks' or 'talents' or whatever they are called allowing for my level 1 character to have up to 13 AP and ~89%+TH against most of the enemies, as well as the fact that I could bash up to 4 times per round (3 AP per attack).

Even more-so on ranged characters, if you do half-half way of the ranger (5), and ranged weapons (5) skills, your level 1 ranger can take out almost anything, even in the 'tougher' battles with environmental bombs and stuff. I'm not saying that people shouldn't be able to be a sniper, But being Legolas at level 1... ehhh.

L
stranger
stranger
L
Constitution gives AP on each new turn and speed only on the first turn.

Con : hit point + AP per turn
Spe : Initiative + AP first turn (and max AP too it seems).

So speed is better only if the AP generate on the first turn is higher than the AP generate by constitution during all the battle.
And i find this is a brillant idea !

Link Copied to Clipboard