Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
addict
addict
Alright, various feedbacks based on a full playthrough :

- [Crash bug], happened once : either because of leveling up during the fight, and/or the second player having to flee the fight leaving me dead on the ground, I could never get back up again. Got back to full life when the fight was concluded, but no movement or action available. Leaving the game and joining it back didn't fix the issue, the host simply got back a dead, immovable Scarlett, which TPed with him to the homestead or any waypoint.

- [Crash bug] happened a lot : game often, randomly crash when crafting. Either the host or the client, either craft by combining items from the inventory or with craft "tables" like anvil, whetstone, mobile kitchen.

- [Bug, display] : The other player characters will often leave "ghosts" in the world. Those appears like the armor model without the body "imprinted" in the world, stuck into any animation : running, standing, walking...

- [Bug, network] Desync : sometimes I saw the host, idle, when actually he was already a few screens away. This was further complicated when, sometimes during long sessions, Roderick-host simply lost any animation, sliding on the ground instead of walking/running, up to the point he simply entirely stopped moving, staying at the entrance point of any given map. The host was still playing him, but the client couldn't see him anymore.
This was very annoying during fights, as I couldn't say where he was anymore, and the camera kept warping to his inanimate model at the entrance at the beginning of each of his turns.

- [Items, major bug] : disappearing world-spawned weapon. Already mentioned here and there, it only seem to affect manually placed weapons, maybe armors too.

- [Companion, Feedback] : The two companions are really, really powerful compared to you. My guess is that, since this isn't the very beginning of the game, you are meant to be level 3 to 5 when reaching this point in the story and they will roughly match your strength. Still, Madora's phoenix Dive and Jahan's frostbreath are extremely powerful compared to what you can do, even with the same skill.

- [Companions, bug] : Jahan came with an exclamation mark as if he had something to talk to us about, but no dialogue were ever started. At some point, Madora presented the same symptoms. Even worse, sometimes, they had TWO exclamation marks each, on top of each other.

- [Abilities, Feedback] : Frostbreath is clearly overpowered as it stands now. Or everything is a tad underpowered. A single Frostbreath from Jahan can wipe an entire orc platoon in one go. I guess there is a balance to achieve there wink

- [Bug, Abilities] Charm : If the client's character is charmed, upon getting a successful save roll, the client's character and the host's will be swapped. What this means is that the host will be able to play as Scarlett, BUT! I wasn't able to do anything as Roderick. Couldn't move or attack or cast anything. Had to leave in order to give Roderick's control back to the host, and join again whenever it wasn't Scarlett's turn to act.
BUT!
This happened while the previous bug was happening, and I ( client ) wasn't able to see Roderick at all during a fight.
What makes it hard to reproduce is that it seems only one ennemy in the whole alpha is able to Charm, during the very last fight of Jake's murder quest.

- [Bug, Abilities] Charm, still : Charmed foes never did a thing except stand there and take hits.

- [Combat, Suggestion] : what is sorely missed is a way to preview a spell or ability range, or any max distance indication.

- [Combat, suggestion] : Pleeease add a 'defend' option? You maybe gain half AP but you reduce damage taken, or just no AP at all, improvable with a talent ?

- [Combat, Suggestion] : Backstab : it really only works when standing EXACTLY behind the target. Maybe wide the angle a little? Or give a little direction-facing arrow to the ground indicator ? This is especially puzzling when a target has been knockdown, although one could argue an ennemy lying on his back can't be backstabbed. This is also true when fighting some foes with shields, where they have this particular stance, shield up-front, body twisted, and finding where their back actually is can be a bit deceiving.

- [Specific ennemy, bug] : The giant crab holding on to Sam's collar as well as being in the way to reach Desdemona has a funny hitbox, stretching far too high, making it impossible or really hard to see status icons or damage received.

- [Specific ennemy, possible bug] : Evelyn will keep summoning zombie boars, which can be killed for 550xp each time. While not a very convenient way to level up, this can still be exploited.

- ["Class", Feedback] : Rangers are underpowered, clearly. Even with a good crossbow and every available skills, I couldn't dish out as much damage as a mage, let alone a warrior. As it stands now, there are absolutely no reasons to play a ranger except reaally loving them, or loving a lot of challenge, or simply being masochistic :p

- [Talents, minor bug] : Quick Witted ( the 10% experience talent ) is probably badly worded. The description leads one to believe the overall experience gain will be increased by 10% while actually it seems to decrease the experience needed to reach the next level by 10%.

- [Quest, Crash bug] : the Lighthouse love quest : telling Desdemona the truth about her husband results in the host's game crashing upon leaving the dialogue. Either talking to her with the host or the client.

- [Quest, medium crash bug] : During the lost head quest : Talking to the, well, talking head with a companion during a coop game will result in the companion and the host's controlled main character having the argument about whether to leave it be or take it back, instead of the two main characters. The game will then hang and will have to be reloaded/restarted.

- [Quest, minor bug] : the kitten love quest : it will probably first be triggered when talking to Unsinkable Sam, yet the first line in the quest log will be that the player(s) found a collar belonging to "SAM" on a crab, which is more or less the last step of the mission. ( yeah it can be found before talking to the cat, but when this isn't the case it shouldn't be printed out as the first step of the quest smile )

- [UI] : Quite a lot of UI missing features, which may be dismissed for now, like gold can't be stacked, the category buttons on the left not working, or a really, dearly missed "auto-sort" feature.

- [UI] : Skillbooks lack the skill description, making it hard to anticipate what the skill will actually do.

- [UI] : mentioning it for the sake of ... mentioning : Full dialogue will need to appear on both players screens, and we can't see the final line during coop dialogues. We know from the various videos and dev diaries this is coming, though smile

- [UI/Abilities, suggestion] : If some doors aren't meant to be lock-picked and can only be opened with a specific key at the right time, just say it can't be picked smile I'm thinking Evelyn's house doors, which, given her status in the main quest, Jake's murder, could indeed lead to the players being able to short-circuit the entire questline and maybe break the game. However ditching points into the lockpick skill for virtually nothing can be very frustrating and game-breaking too !

- [UI, suggestion] : ESC key to close panels before invoking the main menu.

- [Environment, Traps] : any way to disarm them other than shooting them from afar? Maybe later? smile

- [Character creation] : joining a game still in the character creation phase is still buggy. The second player will gain control of Scarlett and be able to move, disrupting the camera of the host. I didn't experienced it as I wasn't the host, but the host was very annoyed.

/Various feedback:/

- "finished" the alpha at level 9, my Scarlett got the level killing the talking statues demons thanks to Quick Witted, before we head out to Evelyn's lab. The host got the 9th level near the very end. The 10th level may be achievable during the beta by getting quick witted earlier, maybe.
- Steam was displaying 17 hours of playtime to completion, with a few loose ends remaining. It's more than, like, 80% of other complete, finished games?
- I think the weapon and armour scaling is very, very good. Overall, we really felt like we were gaining in strength and utility with each passing level and every new weapon we equipped.
- The same can be said about the overall combat feeling : challenging yet not impossible, winning a fight felt extremely rewarding more often than once. Although this balance could be due to our characters being underleveled ( since this is clearly not the game true beginning and they should reach this point level 3 to 5 ), and Jahan's Frostbreath and Madora overall melee abilities being so awesome/overpowered. With a toned down frostbreath, the fights in the Alpha may become too hard, and with leveled up characters at the start of the chapter, combat may feel too easy.
- Ranger, ranger. I struggled to find a bow, especially with the disappearing weapons bug, and I ended up switching from the STARTER BOW to a level 9/skill 4 crossbow, right before the very last fights. Needless to say I was a complete spectator from start to finish, even with a melee weapon and the Assassin talent. I chose to go the "utility" way with leveled loremaster and lockpicking, so I had no spare points for advanced weapons other than my ranged weapon of choice. In the end, though, I probably used Flare ( which we got from a chest at the very beginning ) and my trusted crafted spear way more than I used ranged weapons. This was essentially bad luck on ranged weapons find.
- Dialogues and main characters interaction between each other is an excellent feature. Right now the UI isn't polished enough but it will definitely lead to great things. I loved how we kept arguing in front of the Fabulous Five recruiter, and he kept trying to convince us until we found some common ground. Great jobs here, guys, great job. I knew you wouldn't let us down.
- Pet Pal isn't a gimmick. I asked the host to take it for my character, not really believing it would actually be useful. Turned out it was. Can Unsinckable Sam's quest even be obtained without Pet Pal ? A no brainer for future playthroughs.
- Great writing quality. Maybe sometimes too much, when the most common of folks speaks in a Shakespearian manner. However this brings some personnality to the game, and it's pleasant to read clever dialogues for once.

The Brotherhood of norD is love, the Brotherhood of norD is life.
Click to reveal..
E
enthusiast
enthusiast
E
Thanks for the new version!

Just played a few minutes so far, here are two things I noticed:
1) After throwing the shell back into the sea, the chest that I receive is empty
2) There are still items vanishing on save/reload. I had picked up the sword on the beach with the 1st orc fight, saved the game, and upon reloading a few minutes later the sword had vanished from my inventory.

L
stranger
stranger
L
Hi,

I found a bug with the main quest.

I was restarting a new game from scratch. When arriving in town (just after the encounted with the 3 orcs) I had the option "about Jack's body" in the dialog with ahru. Quest log updated to "The wizard Arhu greeted us and asked us to meet him above the barracks for a briefing on Jake's murder" but it was impossible to continue further (dialog options bugged when speaking to Ahru in the barracks).

Started 2 other games, same bug.

The only workaround i found was to delete all my savegame.

M
stranger
stranger
M
Two "bugs" I noticed on the last 1.0.87.0 alpha:

- Problems in characters visibility? : The sheep in the clinic backyard in Cyseal may disappear (only from the UI) in certain cases. For example, the first time I get there, the fence was closed, and the sheep was visible, then I opened the fence gate and entered, and it was still there, when I exited by this gate (without closing it), it disappeared. I reappeared again when I was close enough to it.

- On the quest when the sailors ask for work, I found work for them and closed the quest, then I deleted (some time after) my save and created a new game, when I encountered them they thanked me because I seemingly found work for them at the same place.

And then 3 UI things (which are not bugs):
- It would be great to have a progress bar when loading levels

- I still don't know how to switch to another character without having spent all my AP. I don't know if its possible yet in the alpha

- The UI in the alpha could be clearer when there are discussions involving the two characters (I only used the game in single player), sometimes it's possible to make a mistake and choose an option thinking that the dialog option was from the other character (maybe because there is only one character portrait visible between the two at one time). The dialog UI in the kickstarter videos was easier to understand for me.

- being able to trade anything is very good, but it took sometime for me to understand how to trade for money (the simpler option). There is nothing preventing you to give something for free, because putting an object on your side of the trade without anything on the other side is perfectly possible without warning

- also that would be great to be able to share items between the two characters without having to throw them and pick them by the other character

Last edited by mithrandir; 19/01/14 04:28 PM.
stranger
stranger
There are some more bugs:
1. There are no minimap of The Hall of Heroes
2. Killing the woman near Tarpesty of History without before her turn leads to situation which I can't end the battle.
3. Not bug, but why players can't see action points of enemies? It's very difficult to plan battles in the game for this reason.

Last edited by Koon; 19/01/14 05:10 PM.
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by mithrandir

- I still don't know how to switch to another character without having spent all my AP. I don't know if its possible yet in the alpha

Press Enter

- also that would be great to be able to share items between the two characters without having to throw them and pick them by the other character

Drag item to the picture of the person you want to give it to. Or you can open the inventory with Player A, hit F2 to target Player B and open their inventory and drag and drop

M
stranger
stranger
M
Originally Posted by lokitrixter

Press Enter

Drag item to the picture of the person you want to give it to. Or you can open the inventory with Player A, hit F2 to target Player B and open their inventory and drag and drop

Thanks!

For switching to another character in combat, maybe they could also provide a button like there is already one for ending your turn.

Last edited by mithrandir; 19/01/14 04:54 PM.
B
B
Great feedback, Dr Koin.

Originally Posted by Dr Koin
- Pet Pal isn't a gimmick. I asked the host to take it for my character, not really believing it would actually be useful. Turned out it was. Can Unsinckable Sam's quest even be obtained without Pet Pal ? A no brainer for future playthroughs.

It might be a little too much of a no-brainer, since you miss out on a lot of content if you don't have it. I don't necessarily have a problem with that since it comes with an obvious opportunity cost, but I think some people are going to complain about this if they find out about it halfway through the game.

- Great writing quality. Maybe sometimes too much, when the most common of folks speaks in a Shakespearian manner. However this brings some personnality to the game, and it's pleasant to read clever dialogues for once.

Yeah, I wasn't sure if I was going to mention this since it's a bit of a strange complaint. I kind of wish more people would speak 'normally'. Everyone, even the common people, seems to have this poetic, lyrical way of speaking. It tends to make dialogues a bit unnatural and hard to relate to since every character is kind of a tongue-in-cheek caricature. Basically, the writing is too good/complex and I feel like it's only the upper-class and/or 'pretentious' NPCs that should speak in this way.

journeyman
journeyman
(this is the only bug I know which seems not to be mentioned on this page so sry if this is a known bug)
I crafted a pretty powerful axe with a simple steel ingot and an anvil, I don´t know whether this is a bug or it´s only in alpha. here is a link to the screenshot:
http://gyazo.com/f4f784853f2837158a272542464c3229

Spiegelberg! He, Spiegelberg! Die Bestie hoert nicht.
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Using Teleport or even Phoenix Dive at the edge of the alpha zone will allow for the companions to get past the alpha zone and explore some more. Trying to get Scarlett or Roderick over the zone barrier will send them back to the beginning of Cyseal. I was able to explore a bit of the area with Jahan and Madora.

Able to gather a new quest
[Linked Image]

Get to venture around a bit. This guy has purple arms.
[Linked Image]

This is as far north as I was able to get
[Linked Image]

M
stranger
stranger
M
Another small bug about trading, maybe already posted there:

- When you drag and drop an item to trade it at the middle of the trade window, sometimes it wont go, and sometimes it removes another item which was put there before. Most of the time, the workaround is to to the trade item by item

Last edited by mithrandir; 19/01/14 06:36 PM.
journeyman
journeyman
another bug (dont know whether it was already posted):
when leaving the black cove (east of the beach at the harbor) Jahan & Madora are, like it should be (i think), outside at the entrance whereas Scarlett & Roderick ended up in a mysterious room which is surrounded by an empty landscape...hard to describe, here are some pictures:

Jahan & Madora
http://imgur.com/yN9u8E9

The mysterious room
http://imgur.com/2w5F2th

The landscape around it
http://imgur.com/YkZucuL
http://imgur.com/yefkH5Z

Spiegelberg! He, Spiegelberg! Die Bestie hoert nicht.
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Yeah Razzmann in a thread for an earlier builds bugs I posted a video of myself running around. If you head to the right far enough you will be returned to Cyseal entrance.

H
stranger
stranger
H
my quick-save-game-file doesn't want to load anymore
quicksave on speedy share

journeyman
journeyman
I had a new coop play today and we found a bug that I didn't find in the forum so here it is:

after playing 3 to 4 hours my Host Roderick got immobile after leaving the basement of the legionnaire office (maybe it was because the game asked me to leave the things like i did steal something, but I only clicked the stairs to get up, but the stairs had the colour of owned items the characters all got out of the basement but the conversation ended after clicking continue I could move the companions, I could enter rodericks inventar, but he could not move.

A save was made and the symptoms remain after loading it - where can I upload the save???

other noticeable things:
- Gameplay was fun for the mage but the ranger is somewhat underpowered (like mentioned before) and often does only 1 HP with her bow (Up to level 4)

- water pools of the rain spell doesn't flow down (on gradients or bridges)

- the AI doesn't avoid poison or fire areas (companions following the mainchar don't too)

- there is no physical behavior of water and fire
e.g. if I shot a barrel with oil with the ranger and then my mage place a fireball on the oil it burns a lot of ground - but when the companion mage does the rain spell theres alot of steam but also a pool of water in the fire which I can electrocute - it's the same the other way around first rainspell then oil then fire

- in conversations you have short-keys like 1 to 8 but 9 doesn't work!

- in combat
-- there is often missing the red sorounding of enemys to display a possible hit
-- you can't fire through blocking walls but the enemy can
-- the icebreath is blocked by a fence?!
-- not frozen enemys in the icewall can fight and shoot arrows but not move!?
-- the ballista doesn't shot at the zombies, skelletons or boars which we lured to the north gate and the legionaire on the ballustrade ignored the incoming enemys until the undead mage teleportet a boar up the ballustrade to my mage which could't cast spell down on the oncoming horde on the bridge?! smile

- outside combat I would like to heal my comrades with the heal-spell but the portraits aren't clickable, despite the character is in range - you have to select the person on the map to do it

- another companion bug:
if your coop recruits the companions they move to the host-character, but the mage in the library doesn't because he is not able to get down the stairs (my host-char did recruit Madora in the tavern) - so he could only join if the host got to the library himself
or like we did: the main char did flee a combat (scarlett and Madora at his side) but only the host char with Madora got to the other companion mage in the library still in combat mode scralett had also to flee to get back together!

Oh YEAH!
Have fun
B
stranger
stranger
B
Bugs:
- Heroes get randomly ressurected during combat
- Sometimes corpses of dead heroes disappear after combat, making further gameplay impossible
- Enemy archers will try to atack you even through obstacles, always missing
- Enemy Giant Orc will always skip turns
- Item disappear bug
- Music layover bug
- Certain equipment doesnt display on characters (naked look)

Fixes:
- Companion abilities do not match their level (ex: Madora gets Phoenix Dive at lvl3, which is lvl5 skill)
- Quest log displays in an order you discover stuff, not in an order quest should progress (Ex: If you visit mortician first it is the first record for the quest)
- Combat option "flee" is exploitable. You can kill off enemies one by one, fleeing after each kill.
- Load times are obnoxious even on high end PC.
- Some descriptions are missing or incomplete (alpha?)

Suggestions:
- Make numerical life bars visible (no way to tell how much health you or your enemy has)
- AOE CC spells like Fear are imbalanced (low level AOE Crowd Control that lasts through turns?)
- Make companion portraits targetable for friendly-targeted spells like regenerate, ressurect or teleport
- No way to recover companion health except "regenerate", which is very time consuming at higher levels.
- Healing potions are imbalanced (cooldown and "heal over time" would be nice instead of infinite instant recovery)
- Loot is generated per save, exploit-happy.
- It is possible to craft extremely high level items regardless of your crafting skills.
- Skillbooks not showing spell descriptions

veteran
veteran
- Make numerical life bars visible (no way to tell how much health you or your enemy has)

That's intended, you need points in Loremaster, then hold Ctrl and mouse over the enemy to see the numerical value of their health.

- Loot is generated per save, exploit-happy.

No easy solution for that, probably not worth fixing. If someone wants to save/load a thousand times before opening each of the 10,000 crates they see, that's their own foolishness.

- x:108, y:171 fight: a zombie was able to use it’s poisonspray ability through a wall. EDIT: Correction: All spells can be cast through walls. A mage tried to silence Scarlett through a wall (and she made her save), so I had Jahal shoot blitzbolt at an archer through a wall and he also hit.

- Flare is listed as doing a total of 17-19 damage divided over 2 projectiles… so why is it doing things like 13 + 15 damage? 26-28 is more than 19.

- I teleported a zombie farther away. Once its turn came back up though, it appeared at the spot where I teleported it FROM and it ended up a couple steps closer. I think that was just some kind of display error, and it actually did properly move from where I teleported it to its final position.

- Ice surfaces don’t go away after a while like the other surfaces. (Note: when they do, maybe they should first become water and then the water goes away?)

- The icon for Thread is incorrect and uses the icon for Needle and Thread.

- I thought the map resetting after leaving the homestead was supposed to be fixed? It isn’t and still resets.

- I reported this already, but after further experimentation I determined that the Regenerate spell works for 3 ticks of healing on Roderick and Scarlett, but only 2 ticks of healing on Madora and Jahal.

Last edited by Stabbey; 20/01/14 01:15 AM. Reason: spells can cast through walls
E
stranger
stranger
E
CRAFTING
========
I have been randomly, but consistently, crashing before the crafting action progress bar fills. Everything from using an anvil to cooking a fish (both using world objects) to combining items in my inventory.

I haven't been able to repeat it reliably to determine cause. For example, I cooked a fish on a portable kitchen and didnt crash, but immediately after cooked another fish on the same portable kitchen and it caused the game to crash.

QUESTING
========
Was able to ask questions about the Staff quest even though I hadn't spoke to the mayor yet to obtain the quest to find it.

PATHFINDING
===========
Twice I have had to individually walk each of the four members of my party out of a building because they couldnt seem to walk past a door and follow the leader.

Last edited by Exsilium; 20/01/14 12:59 AM.
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
You triggered the crafting bug where if you craft something that stacks it will crash the game.

Do you have another save where you know about the staff? Sometimes the game will show options or have dialogues that you knew from a previous save.

B
stranger
stranger
B
Actually I just remembered, that sometimes Regenerate spell doesnt last through turns.
Occrued to me many times, when enemy "rain" spell was active, maybe "wet" effect replaced regeneration effect.

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11

Link Copied to Clipboard