Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Just... look at all of the butthurt trolls on the community page. This is just completely painful to look at.

And people are bitchin' about it being the price of a real game.

I'm glad that I can just chill on the forums... where it's more sane.

veteran
veteran
It's never healthy to visit the Steam forums. Just stay away and you'll be good. wink

WOOS
veteran
veteran
Very meaningful thread, thanks.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by LordCrash
It's never healthy to visit the Steam forums. Just stay away and you'll be good. wink

We have different opinions on the early access matter, but I do agree with you on this one. Just stay away from fora right now and just enjoy the new build of dos larian put up for us today. That's a lot more fun than trolling on fora.

stranger
stranger
There was a fair reason why Early Access would be a bad idea. As much as I'd like more dosh for Larian before release, Early Access is getting abused an awful lot and the community doesn't have the patience to wait a year to two and a half years for development in this stage.

Already we're seeing people writing off all early access games. TotalBiscuit slams the practice for the most part ("Unless you're a fan and know what you're getting into."), so it doesn't really work for anyone who isn't a fan of Larian's work to begin with.

I believe it's a mistake, really. This was a bad idea and will damage the flair for full release. They'd have been better off making it a traditional pre-order at most.

Y
stranger
stranger
Y
Hello, guys.

I am new here. I am thinking 'bout early access. May you tell me what is the state of game now? Is it playable? Will I have fun or will I strugggle with interface or bugs? I know that this is not finished game but I wander what state of game is it now? What content is missing? Is it closer to Alpha or to Beta?
And: If I start to play now, will savegames compatibile with next patches?

Thanks for repy in advance, regards.

veteran
veteran
To me it is pretty playable, but yes, it is alpha, keep that in mind please. There will be some crashes and bugs (or may be not, i really had very few myself). And no, so far all the savegames were incompatible, unfortunately. I mean, you could load them but many issues would/could appear. Though - no one actually tried it I assume.

Last edited by Kein; 17/01/14 10:24 PM.
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Yoggurth
Hello, guys.

I am new here. I am thinking 'bout early access. May you tell me what is the state of game now? Is it playable? Will I have fun or will I strugggle with interface or bugs? I know that this is not finished game but I wander what state of game is it now? What content is missing? Is it closer to Alpha or to Beta?

Thanks for repy in advance, regards.

I think you'll have a lot of fun. But to be honest. I would wait if I were you until the game gets it's full release. The interface is fine and slick for the most part. I would call this a 'polished' alpha release. But since it's alpha, significant gameplay related changes might make this 'early access' quite a bit different from the gold version.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Freyar

TotalBiscuit slams the practice for the most part ("Unless you're a fan and know what you're getting into."), so it doesn't really work for anyone who isn't a fan of Larian's work to begin with.

True. Early access is for fans. Nobody denied that. No reasonable person would buy into something which isn't ready yet if you're not enough a fan of the genre or series or developer to cope with that.

It's absolutely weird to slam something for its pure existence when you name it correctly in the same sentence. It's not Larian's fault or any Early Access developer's fault when people are too dumb to understand that nobody is forced to participate and buy into that before release. It's just an opportunity for fans, exactly that.

But again, Total Buiscuit is a real smartass imo, so it doesn't surprise me that he makes up something again to be able to complain about something....

WOOS
journeyman
journeyman
Hello, guys.

I am new here. I am thinking 'bout early access. May you tell me what is the state of game now?
It's in Alpha
Is it playable?
Yes
Will I have fun or will I strugggle with interface or bugs?
It is certainly fun, but you will most certainly struggle with the interface and encounter a lot of bugs
I know that this is not finished game but I wander what state of game is it now?
It's in Alpha
What content is missing?
I think we have about 40% of the content right now in the alpha. Hard to tell for a RPG.
Is it closer to Alpha or to Beta?
It's definitly an Alpha, not a Beta.
No, savegames are not compatible with new builds.

Y
stranger
stranger
Y
Thank you very much. I think I pass with EA. Just realised that main reason is incompatibility of saves. When I will have guaranteed continuous play I will buy EA. I am afraid that if I tried to start the game many times experience will be dilluted...
Thanks again.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Yoggurth
Thank you very much. I think I pass with EA. Just realised that main reason is incompatibility of saves. When I will have guaranteed continuous play I will buy EA. I am afraid that if I tried to start the game many times experience will be dilluted...
Thanks again.

Just wait for the polished retail release. It'll be the best experience. Don't let yourself be fooled by everyone playing the game right now. They're playing a flawed game.

The retail release, that's the game you want to play. Patience is a virtue couldn't be more true right now.

J
stranger
stranger
J
I would not recommend Early Access because why spoil yourself with an unfinished version? I have it from Kickstarter but I have no desire to play it beyond checking it out for 5 minutes

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by juno
I would not recommend Early Access because why spoil yourself with an unfinished version? I have it from Kickstarter but I have no desire to play it beyond checking it out for 5 minutes

I don't want to play the story but I have some fun just trying out the dialogue and fighting mechanics... wink

WOOS
old hand
old hand
Zero problem with early access from my end. Everyone is clear what is being offered, like any product, swish it around and decide if you are up for it or not. It's no trick.

However I can see some issues:

1. Bad initial word of mouth by impatient gamers could be troublesome. However if we were the accountant for the Dev's, they may say "we have to do this to keep the doors open and develop unique games AAA Dev Teams won't make". Which is logical to.

2. For multiplayer games (Thinking more of DayZ types) that you will have a lot of people that have already played the piss out of a game before it is released. When released A. you have people that are superior to you or possibly ghost town like feelings. Not a brand new fresh release.

3. EA games going on sale while still in EA. That one now makes me wait for deals in EA even, lol.

Hey guys !

Steam purpose Sin in early access ! but only in english actually...

My question is: Sin will be available in Full French (text & voice) when he will be released in February ?

journeyman
journeyman
Taken from the steam store page:

The game will be available in several languages, but the Early Access version will only be in English. New languages (French, German, Russian, Polish) will become available upon release.

I don't know about voice, as I don't think there's much voice even in english in the game, so chances are good it will be available in french as well. As to the Feb release however, at this point it seems the game will be a little late.

That said, if you do buy it in early access sure the alpha will be in english but I'm sure when the full version hits you'll be able to select your language in the options menu or something.

Last edited by JFSeiki; 21/01/14 01:39 AM.
Yeah thank JF,

i ask this question because Divine Divinity was in full french and it ll be a pleasure to find Sin in full french too.

journeyman
journeyman
Not sure if he's a troll or not. Hope so for his sake...

http://steamcommunity.com/app/230230/discussions/0/630802979770994091/

I only buy early access games from developers that I trust, and I trust Larian.
Over the years Larian have brought me a great deal of enjoyment.
It's not always foolproof though. I trusted Egosoft and, well, you know the rest. smile

D2ED + More D2ED + A happy ending = A winner
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard