Page 1 of 2 1 2
#478612 18/01/14 10:03 PM
E
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
E

Sorry...

Seriously one of the worst games I've played in my life.
Dungeon Siege 1 was much better 10 years ago. This thing, turn based, with character moves as slowly as an 18 tonnes trucks that are as responsive as slugs.

Forgive my words, but this is a shity game.
Go back to what you did with Divinity 2.

I would get a refund (I will never get it back i know...) this $ 30 which I used for 1 minute, as soon as I saw the first fight, I thought I was playing in 1991 with Civilization 1 ...

Good luck with this.

Without me.

stranger
stranger
The game is still in alpha. It's not for playing, it's for testing. If you want to experience it the classic way, wait for the final, released version. Gameplay and gameplay elements are constantly changing.

By the way, forming an opinion from only the first minute you played is like saying you won't eat a cookie because because one bit of raw dough fell on the floor.

V
apprentice
apprentice
V
perhaps you should have looked at combat before buying because its all over the place. Part of the reason we all love the game IS the combat.

I am sorry to hear that you bought a game that you do not like. I do however recommend that people look at footage / information / previews / ... about games they consider buying, as the fact that this is a turn-based game is not an obscure property, but rather a main property why a lot of old-school CRPG fans are looking forward to this game.

Now, while the fact that it's turn-based won't change, the movement speed could still change, as this is indeed a game in an alpha stage, as others mentioned. Moreover, characters used to move at a higher speed in an earlier build of the game, and there have been requests by other people to (partly) restore the old movement speed.

Here's to me hoping that the tactical aspects of turn-based combat will grow on you. wink

Last edited by Robrecht; 18/01/14 10:17 PM.

Weresheep of Original Sin: Facebook | homepage (WIP wink )
sheep is the plural of sheep oops
apprentice
apprentice
Sorry you don't like it, but it's been turn based since the kickstarter: "Picture a modern version of a world not unlike that of Ultima VII, explored either alone or with a friend, that sees you engage adversaries in tactical turn-based combat reminiscent of the great turn-based RPGs of the past." Can't order sea food and then tell the cook you don't like seafood.

It's a game where combat is based on player's skill in logic rather than skill in mouse handling. Well overdue and exactly the type of game that AAA publishers wouldn't touch. Perfect for KickStarter and Early Access.

veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by elfureto

Sorry...

Seriously one of the worst games I've played in my life.
Dungeon Siege 1 was much better 10 years ago. This thing, turn based, with character moves as slowly as an 18 tonnes trucks that are as responsive as slugs.

Forgive my words, but this is a shity game.
Go back to what you did with Divinity 2.

I would get a refund (I will never get it back i know...) this $ 30 which I used for 1 minute, as soon as I saw the first fight, I thought I was playing in 1991 with Civilization 1 ...

Good luck with this.

Without me.

Either you are just too rich and don't care or you are just dumb enough to buy a game without 5 minutes of google search or forum investigation before the purchase.

There are numerous videos available on youtube for example in which you can clearly see the gameplay and the combat.

Seriously, one of the worst comments I've seen on this board so far...

WOOS
C
stranger
stranger
C
I would not say it is the worst game I have ever played. But I must be one of those with too much money that did not research the game. I was under the impression it was multiplayer. So I purchased the game for my girlfriend and I to play something new tonight.

Very disappointed it said multiplayer however we can not play. I find that part very misleading. The game froze up a few times understandable for alpha. But yikes, I am just debating if I want to try and bother with getting my money back.

I give this game so far two big thumbs down.

Support
Support

There is co-op multiplayer in the game, but some people have had trouble connecting. One person reported that they couldn't connect if the game was running, but if they exited the game and waited for the Steam invitation, the game would load from there and join the host game. That may not help you, but would be worth trying, if you haven't already.
The next update should hopefully address connection issues. There are also UI improvements and functionality that needs to be added (currently it is restricted to Steam friends and uses the Steam overlay, there is no feedback given when someone joins a game, etc).

And to be fair to the OP, it isn't terribly hard to imagine an impulse buy without any research (even just the Steam page/trailer) based on Larian's previous RPGs. I've done that buying (physical) music CDs and books and only got burned once.

BTW character speed depends on how far your mouse cursor is from the characters. Click/hold farther away and they will run faster (though the overall walk/run speed could stand to be a little faster).

Alpha state software is supposed to crash and not work, that is what alpha actually means. Alpha software is for people interested in development, or those who want to give early support to the developers, or maybe report bugs or suggestions, or just want to see a game evolve as it is still being created. It is not finished whatsoever. People not interested in any of the above points are bound to be disappointed, because they have misaligned expectations.

The game itself is multiplayer, and is designed for co-op play. There is no misleading information in that regard. You just happen to be unfortunate in having a machine on which the game crashes, which is of course to be attributed to the software, and will (must) be fixed while the game is still in alpha.

Could you share the hardware and software specifications of the machine(s) that you are trying to run the game on? This will provide the developers with some leads about what might be causing the problems. Another possibility is that your problem is already known an being worked on, for example there are known problems with running the game 32-bit windows machines.

HTH smile

Weresheep of Original Sin: Facebook | homepage (WIP wink )
sheep is the plural of sheep oops
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Voodoou
...Part of the reason we all love the game IS the combat.

That's part of what brought me to the forums and to purchase the game.

Last edited by ToadStoned; 19/01/14 06:03 AM.
Do not feed the troll laugh

Butler at WoOS - Weresheeps unite!
B
stranger
stranger
B
Originally Posted by craig2848
I would not say it is the worst game I have ever played. But I must be one of those with too much money that did not research the game. I was under the impression it was multiplayer. So I purchased the game for my girlfriend and I to play something new tonight.

Why would you buy a game to play *tonight* that is in Alpha and thus incomplete, buggy and doens't work yet? Doesn't make sense.

Last edited by bonscott; 19/01/14 03:16 PM.
C
stranger
stranger
C
Why would I buy a game to play on a night I have off of work? Because I have snow outside, and wanted to stay in playing something new with my girlfriend. I have two new machines less than a year old next to each other.

My oldest computer is 8 gb memory Processor: Intel (R) Core(TM) i5-3470 @ 3.2 ghz
nvidia geforce gtx 660. Well that is what it tells me when I select mycomputer icon.

My gf is 16gb memory with a little better graphics card. I bought hers in June for her birthday. The first one was bought in February for my birthday.

I like the turn based combat. I just don't like the fact that I thought we were going to be able to play multiplayer. I invited her through steam, and she was unable to connect.

The last attempt I tried playing the game. Once I got to the bridge and was going go have the guards taking me to see the wizard I was unable to do anything after that, except click on my heroes stats scroll over everything etc but nothing else.

I am not a troll. I understand most of your have some time and heart felt emotions invested into the game. I get it. I just don't think it is much of a multiplayer game which inlies my disappointment.

Also regardless of how much money I have or anyone else. If you buy something you still want to enjoy it. If you do not then of course your going to have some feelings of disappointment.

Last edited by craig2848; 19/01/14 05:38 PM. Reason: add
D
apprentice
apprentice
D
Originally Posted by elfureto
...with character moves as slowly as an 18 tonnes trucks that are as responsive as slugs... Go back to what you did with Divinity 2.

Sounds to me like you pledged for the wrong kind of game. Turn based isn't your thing. Doesn't make the game 'shitty' - just maybe makes it 'shitty' for you. This would be like me saying Dragon Commander is 'shitty' because it doesn't play like a military FPS. Two different kinds of games. Or watching a Star Wars movie and calling it 'shitty' cause it isn't anything much like an Indiana Jones movie.

a_wife_01 glares at you threatengingly, ready to divorce!
veteran
veteran
Seriously one of the worst games [...]

You couldn't play this game yet, there is no "game" as it is, there is a "development build" that is available to wide public through their payment by demand (if there is any).

You will play the game when it will be released in Spring 2014.

enthusiast
enthusiast
+1

Look it stands to reason...You can't eat 'cos you don't have a stomach!
B
stranger
stranger
B
Originally Posted by craig2848
Why would I buy a game to play on a night I have off of work? Because I have snow outside, and wanted to stay in playing something new with my girlfriend. I have two new machines less than a year old next to each other.

My oldest computer is 8 gb memory Processor: Intel (R) Core(TM) i5-3470 @ 3.2 ghz
nvidia geforce gtx 660. Well that is what it tells me when I select mycomputer icon.

My gf is 16gb memory with a little better graphics card. I bought hers in June for her birthday. The first one was bought in February for my birthday.

I like the turn based combat. I just don't like the fact that I thought we were going to be able to play multiplayer. I invited her through steam, and she was unable to connect.

The last attempt I tried playing the game. Once I got to the bridge and was going go have the guards taking me to see the wizard I was unable to do anything after that, except click on my heroes stats scroll over everything etc but nothing else.

I am not a troll. I understand most of your have some time and heart felt emotions invested into the game. I get it. I just don't think it is much of a multiplayer game which inlies my disappointment.

Also regardless of how much money I have or anyone else. If you buy something you still want to enjoy it. If you do not then of course your going to have some feelings of disappointment.

You're not understanding. The game isn't finished. It's not even beta. Heck, they just enabled co-op multiplayer just 1 day ago for testing. Again, why you thought you'd have a stable game to play multiplayer now, I dunno. Again, game is ALPHA, not even Beta yet. Don't buy games that aren't released yet if you want a good experience.

Having said all that, hopefully the game will continue to come to gether over the coming months and will be a game you will find fun.

Last edited by bonscott; 20/01/14 03:23 AM.
stranger
stranger
To play Devil's Advocate on behalf of people like craig2848 - you need to understand a few things which IMHO clearly explains their expectation.

- The store page does NOT indicate that the game is currently in 'Alpha' state. None of the screenshots or the trailer mention the state that the game is currently in. The Early Access blurb does not state what condition the game is in, that it's in alpha, etc. So other than buying the game and running it (which then brings up the "This is in Alpha" message), one would have to dig around the Steam Discussion & these forums to even know that the game was in Alpha state.

Also, neither the sticky on the Steam Discussion forum, nor on the http://www.divinityoriginalsin.com site states that the game is currently only in Alpha state. Only Larian forums make it clear that D:OS is in Alpha.

What does this mean? It means that anyone relying on the store page, the Early Access Blurb & Steam Discussion forums to know the state of the game, whether it's Alpha, Beta RC, etc will not have that information available unless they dig through many threads on the Steam forums.

Larian IMO really, really need to edit the Blue Early Access blurb and make it absolutely clear that the game is in Alpha. Because at the moment all it says regarding the state of the game is "Be aware that it's still rough around the edges and that certain features are missing. New features and improvements will be added regularly." - I'm sorry, but reading that... I can not blame people like craig2848 from expecting that the game is in a workable and playable state both single-player and multi-player.

- 'Early Access' / Beta expectations due to PR moves made by AAA companies over the past few years.

This sadly is another thing that needs to be considered. The sheer amount of AAA companies which have put out "Public Beta's" for people to "Test" which were only intended to market the game. Look at a lot of recent MMO's, or BF3 & BF4, etc. These games (and others) all came out with public 'beta's for people to 'test' the product... but no testing was required.

Because of things like this, there are many people out there who do not really know what a Beta is, or what Early Access is for. In their minds a beta is a mostly non-buggy RC version of the game (RC btw is Release Candidate), not something that actively needs testing or will have serious bugs & other issue's.

Also, due to high profile games (typically MMO's... like Star Wars: The Old Republic) have an "Early Access" program/procedure... which let people 'pre-order' the game and get access to it early, this has also changed many people's expectations for what 'early access' means. To them, Early Access means you can get access to the full game earlier than the rest who wait for release.

This is a lesser issue IMO than the 1st issue, but it should still be considered. Because of what has happened in the past with big well known games, companies, etc... many ppl have a distorted / incorrect view of what Alpha/Beta is and what Early Access is.
--------------

So personally, I can see where people like craig2848 are coming from, why they might have expected a mostly working product at purchase. Lack of clear explanation of the state of the game on the store page, lack of this info on the steam discussion forums... and possible incorrect expectations due to previous game launches... could easily lead to someone believing and expecting that the game is mostly working, workable and that you should be able to pick it up and play it mostly fine, with just some hiccups as it is 'Early Access' and not released.

Last edited by Kamatsu; 20/01/14 11:12 AM.
enthusiast
enthusiast
[Linked Image]

*sorry to my fellow larianites..I just had to get that of my chest*

Last edited by dwelfusius; 20/01/14 12:53 PM.

"Dwelfusius | Were-axlotl of Original Sin"

Hardcorus RPGus PCus Extremus
Support
Support
Originally Posted by Kamatsu
at the moment all it says regarding the state of the game is "Be aware that it's still rough around the edges and that certain features are missing. New features and improvements will be added regularly." - I'm sorry, but reading that... I can not blame people like craig2848 from expecting that the game is in a workable and playable state both single-player and multi-player.

And then it continues "If you want a polished experience, we advise you not to play the Early Access version. It only makes sense to play an Early Access game if, for instance, you want to support the development of the game, you want to influence development with your feedback or if you want to get a taste of things to come.
We will be updating the game regularly. It's important to know that save games will not be compatible between versions.
Let us know what you think of the balancing, what bugs you encountered, what you think could be improved and what adventures you experienced. The more you tell us, the better we can make Divinity:Original Sin."

And lower there is a link to "Report bugs and leave feedback for this game on the discussion boards".

Even if you ignore the blue banner on the Steam page with the link explaining what early access is, and you don't know what an alpha or beta is, the fact that there is enough stuff missing that new features will be added regularly, the save format is not set and that balance, etc, is open to change based on feedback, means the game is not in a state that is just about ready to release.

It sucks the craig2848 bought the game for multiplayer and that function isn't working for him, but not working for him (and a few other people) does not mean it is misleading to say the game has multiplayer. Hopefully there will be a patch soon to address that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard