Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Eli #499729 18/06/14 09:54 PM
veteran
veteran
They have to save some stuff for expansions and patches.

Eli #500905 23/06/14 05:28 PM
D
stranger
stranger
D
Just chiming in to say I'd love for dual wield to be added to the game.

I always prefer to play the rogue/assassin-type and it just feels wrong to not have two daggers.

Eli #500906 23/06/14 05:30 PM
Rogues have two daggers.

It's not clear and you're not able to equip 2 separate daggers to gain extra stats or whatnot, but with no shield you attack twice per action - and see two daggers hit.

But it would be nice if this was made clearer on the items and on damage shown on your character sheet.

Dmnqwk #500907 23/06/14 05:55 PM
D
stranger
stranger
D
Originally Posted by Dmnqwk
Rogues have two daggers.

It's not clear and you're not able to equip 2 separate daggers to gain extra stats or whatnot, but with no shield you attack twice per action - and see two daggers hit.

But it would be nice if this was made clearer on the items and on damage shown on your character sheet.

Really? Do you only see the second dagger in combat then? Because I just started a new game with a rogue and shadowblade and none of them had two dagger that I could see.

Eli #500908 23/06/14 06:07 PM
When you strike a foe with a dagger and no shield equipped, you see a one-two combo each time you strike, plus the damage from each blow shows up.

What you don't get to see is a guy/girl carrying twin daggers.
I'd suggest you campaign to get all daggers changed to "pair of daggers" so it shows up as such, doesn't allow shields used, damage is listed as half but shows it hits twice per attack etc.

Because that'd be awesome!

Eli #500910 23/06/14 06:10 PM
D
stranger
stranger
D
True, that would be enough for me at least.

I'm not so much worried about balance or min/maxing, I just want my char to carry around a dagger in each hand.

Eli #500954 23/06/14 09:51 PM
J
stranger
stranger
J
What bothers me is that in order to wield a dagger and a shield, you have to devote Attribute points to both DEX and STR even though you can really only afford to have one high stat (as opposed to two medium ones) if you want the best high-level equipment.

They need a Trait which says "Shields require DEX to equip rather than STR." They can probably add in something about having only one swing per attack while a shield is equipped. But maybe not, if they want dagger to be awesome.

Eli #501884 27/06/14 01:29 PM
veteran
veteran
With all this talk about "the animation shows thrusts with both hands", I went and took a closer look, from multiple angles, including top-down. When you stab someone and it hits, this is what happens:

The left hand comes up and shoves the target, then the right hand comes across to the left side and stabs the target, then the right hand thrusts into the right side.

So at least one of the animations, when you look at it, actually does show the attacker only using the right hand dagger to stab. There might be a second animation, I'll have to check more carefully.

Last edited by Stabbey; 27/06/14 01:37 PM. Reason: second animation?
forklord #501895 27/06/14 02:11 PM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by forklord
youre all taking this dual wielding stufff WAYY too seriously. it blows my mind that its not in the game. so as a rogue, are you saying i should use a shield with my dagger??? thats ridiculous. ITS A FREAKING FANTASTY GAME. "dual wielding is sooo unnrealistic" get a grip!

Dual Wield simulation. Double up on main hand attacks. Oh the game already does that.

But I do love your post, Pete Jennings recap:

1.youre all taking this dual wielding stufff WAYY too seriously

Ok, you are right we should all chill.

2. it blows my mind that its not in the game.

My Too Seriously detector is starting to make noises. How can this be? The person who proclaimed we shouldn't be too serious, is blowing their own mind now.

3. so as a rogue, are you saying i should use a shield with my dagger??? thats ridiculous

I... Must... Not... Take... This... To... SERIOUSLY!!! AHHH!

4. ITS A FREAKING FANTASTY GAME. Get a grip!

Red Alert! Red Alert! Serious stuff here. ALL CAPS MUST BE USED!

Now perhaps you are just having fun here, as I am. It is hard to read sarcasm, especially without sarcasm indicators. But I did enjoy your post of "not taking it too seriously" and then busting a nut. smile

Last edited by Horrorscope; 27/06/14 02:13 PM.
jcalton #502011 27/06/14 06:52 PM
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by jcalton
They need a Trait which says "Shields require DEX to equip rather than STR." They can probably add in something about having only one swing per attack while a shield is equipped. But maybe not, if they want dagger to be awesome.

Or they can change dagger to "daggers" and made them two-handed.
A simple and elegant solution.

Dmnqwk #502060 27/06/14 08:30 PM
J
apprentice
apprentice
J
Originally Posted by Dmnqwk
Rogues have two daggers.

Larian. THANK YOU.

For ages I've been looking for an RPG where you could viably use a weapon in one hand without needing a shield or another weapon in the other hand, this is so cool!

I personally think dual wielding has been done to death in games lately (I'm not against having the option though, it just annoys me when you HAVE to dual wield to be viable)

Jjiinx #502192 28/06/14 07:44 AM
journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Jjiinx
For ages I've been looking for an RPG where you could viably use a weapon in one hand without needing a shield or another weapon in the other hand, this is so cool!

Who said that you do not need a shield?

Everybody using dagger and better or worse shield. It's stupid not use empty hand when game does not have any one-hand specialization or bonus. But daggers need dexterity and shields need strength. So specializing in daggers has a big disadvantage.

Therefore no, in this RPG you couldnt "viably" use a weapon in one hand without needing a shield or another weapon.

Last edited by Edvin; 28/06/14 07:48 AM.
Edvin #502232 28/06/14 12:05 PM
V
apprentice
apprentice
V
If you equip a shield you lose the 2nd attack, effectively giving you half the damage you have without a shield.

So technically we already have duel wield in the sense of 2 attacks, we just cant equip an actual 2nd weapon in the off hand.

I would like to see a dagger in each hand though but that is just a cosmetic tbh.

Two daggers would also give a fair amount of +stats which may imbalance the class.

vyper0509 #502241 28/06/14 12:27 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by vyper0509
If you equip a shield you lose the 2nd attack, effectively giving you half the damage you have without a shield.

That's completely wrong. I know because I specifically tested it on request. With a shield equipped, you do one attack. Without a shield equipped, you still do one attack, but the damage/absorption is displayed as being split into two attacks, but the total damage dealt and absorbed is the same, shield or not.

(And as I said five posts up, when I actually zoomed in to watch the attack, I saw that the left hand shoves, and the right hand was the one which attacked twice with the dagger.)

Eli #502323 28/06/14 05:05 PM
journeyman
journeyman
10000 Views !
Dual wielding Mafia is still popular laugh

Last edited by Edvin; 28/06/14 07:53 PM.
Eli #510481 06/07/14 03:40 PM
F
stranger
stranger
F
Actually in eastern cultures dual-wielding of weapons has been vastly utilized and has been used proficiently in 1 vs many situations. In my opinion it would be kinda easy to balance in the game, many ways to make it viable.

By the way has somebody made an inquiry about on hit chances? i mean, some weapons have say 15% chance to poison the target, if i don't use a shield with the dagger do those chances double?(if not i believe it wouldn't be too ugly to make it so it would give some sort of viability to not having a shield)

Last edited by Federico93; 06/07/14 03:45 PM.
Federico93 #510540 06/07/14 04:46 PM
stranger
stranger
I'm still waiting for the gog release, so i can't check how the animations in the game are, but if there is a block Animation with a shield, my "lazy/easy" solution would be to make dual wielding or shield a cosmetic/roleplay choice.
just to create a parrying dagger skin for the shield and *ta da* the blocking gets to a deflecting with a parrying dagger

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
Originally Posted by Federico93
Actually in eastern cultures dual-wielding of weapons has been vastly utilized and has been used proficiently in 1 vs many situations. In my opinion it would be kinda easy to balance in the game, many ways to make it viable.

I think you may be referring to Eskrima, of which a few styles involve the use of two identical weapons (such as sticks or knives). This is still practiced today in the Philippines.

Eli #515097 10/07/14 09:32 AM
K
stranger
stranger
K
I would be really happy to see dual wielding for Rogue at least. I wonder if Devs aware of that some people really looking forward to seeing dual wielding dex chracters.BTW I'm a huge fun of Artemis Entreri. Are there any latest and final news about this situation, thank you and sorry for my bad English smile

Eli #515142 10/07/14 10:22 AM
K
K
All of these kids wanting dual wielding.
[Linked Image]

Look here, dual wielding both looks silly, is impractical even in a fantasy setting and does absolutely nothing to spice up combat apart from making you look like "le epic ninja xDDDD".
If there is something that deserves to be added is a monk type skill tree, which focuses on unarmed combat, at least that can be justified in fantasy, unlike gimping yourself by using two weapons.

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard