Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Eli #564015 09/03/15 10:58 PM
Support
Support

No, other than it will still take some time.

Baardvark #564056 10/03/15 10:37 AM
old hand
old hand
Originally Posted by Everfades
I really don't get it. Why is everyone so hyped about dualwielding? It basically is already in the game. Using dagger+shield you only attack once. Using dagger and nothing else let's you attack two times. The only thing they could change would be to make a second dagger in offhand do the exact same - attack two times. But we already get that from having just one dagger.

Though you could change that one dagger attacks twice and make it attack one time only with a bit higher damage and make 2 daggers do the double attack. (though that would make daggers a must have 2 thing which sucks when you are unlucky and can only find 1 good dagger. Dual-wielding would nerf scoundrels)

Originally Posted by Baardvark
Gamers have been indoctrinated that it looks dumb when someone has an empty hand. It just feels like one is "wasting a slot."

They're probably going to keep it as a double attack with one dagger or one attack with each dagger. They'll have to balance it so the stat boost doesn't make dual wielding the obvious choice, probably by increasing your miss chance or giving you a slight damage penalty.

Dual wielding doesn't necessarily have to be about daggers either. Someone could want to dual wield two axes. That's going to be even harder to balance, however. Probably each strike would do 40-45% the damage of normal, so you'd deal 80-90% of normal damage, but you have a higher chance to apply statuses and you get more stats. Larian might just stick with daggers, though, since those already have a double attack anyway.

There is no hype or "indoctrination" - it would be nice if you people were capable of discussing anything without strawman and ad hominem fallacies but i guess thats too much to hope for.
There is no need for sudden dev defense squad mentality either. There is nothing to defend and you people are basically just using that mindless non thinking kneejerk reaction to excuse shit posting.

Your ideas about dual wielding are especially stupid, but thats the thing here. Those are your own stupid ideas that you criticize. And it would be sarcastically funny if it wasnt so mind numbing.

I have no idea how Larian will implement it or if they will, but as far as my suggestions about it go it would be, or should be a skill or a talent available only to rogue builds.
A second dagger in the second hand would not attack twice... if you have two in hands each would attack once - but for double AP cost. Its a rather simple logic.

I suggested another combination with a rondel, which would have some defensive effects - again -for double of the AP cost of both weapons, of course.

This kind of setup would not be just about dumb damage, but would allow players to combine different daggers or rondels that have different effects and elemental damages. And choose between offensive or defensive setups - instead of none, as it is now.

Therefore greatly increasing the diversity of rogue builds in a very simple, effective and inherently balanced way.

And rogue builds do need their special thing anyway.

Which other types of builds and skills do not, since they have plenty of their own "things".
So no dual wielding for other types of weapons and builds is needed, not to mention how ridiculous and non plausible it would look, even in a high fantasy game like this.

Maybe, maybe such a talent for a few select types of weapons such as smaller axes and maces could be added to pure fighter builds after they reach some very high levels in Men at arms and increase Strength to very high levels... like ... above 15 Strength or something.

Which would enable such capability in roughly second half of the game.

This would also allow some enemies to use it, like high level Orcs and such, which would seem naturally plausible in the setting as it is.

Eli #564395 16/03/15 10:42 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
In history, dual wielding is a bit of a rarity, Miyamoto Musashi taught a school of it, and the Florentine style of fencing was also a dual wielding technique that gained some prominence for a limited period of time, before falling out of fashion when firearms got a lot more reliable, easy to use, and became affordable and so more common still. Native Americans supposedly used Tomahawks and knives simultaneously. I am probably either forgetting some or unaware of others, so feel free to point me in the direction of other interesting examples.

Some Escrima techniques are also a dual wield.

Otherwise a shield was far more common (before firearms) and probably a better choice.

In fantasy there is a ton of dual wielding just pick your genre.

I could really care less if it is included my rogue prefers a bow and my fighter likes a Zweihander, so I doubt I will be making use of it even if it is included.

Still- always nice to have options, and in Baldurs Gate 2 and Icewind Dale's I occasionally had a character that dual wielded, a fighter/thief using a Scimatar and a shortsword, which for hi dexterity decent strength and no shield ability was OK.

Eli #564399 17/03/15 05:44 AM
V
journeyman
journeyman
V
I want a mutation talent that lets my character have four arms, so I can quadruple wield.

Vardis #564400 17/03/15 06:38 AM
G
addict
addict
G
Originally Posted by Vardis
I want a mutation talent that lets my character have four arms, so I can quadruple wield.
Great. I need it too. But my forth arm is going to use shield.

Vardis #564410 17/03/15 12:04 PM
veteran
veteran
Originally Posted by Vardis

http://lpix.org/1862430/U01-27.jpg

Eli #564414 17/03/15 05:26 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I think if I had that I would just use 4 shields...Yeah Big Roman style Scutums...LOL

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard