Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#478788 19/01/14 02:14 PM
G
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
G
Adding intelligence says only helps adding more skill points during levelling up. It needs more detail like:
- does it do more magic damage?
- increase mana pool? or takes less moves?
- help chances of alchemy?

something along those ideas i think would be great.. yea?

veteran
veteran
There no longer is mana.

journeyman
journeyman
They will add more detail as it becomes applicable, for the current build I'm only seeing the effect of the added skill points and the requirement on some gear, which is perfectly accurate for now.

L
stranger
stranger
L
But how does it works ?
I've seen that :
- A character with 5 int gains 3skill pt per level.
- A character with 10 int gains 4skill pt per level.

But if i have 6 in intelligence, in what it is different than 5 ?

If i am level 10 and if i improve, suddenly, my intelligence to 10 do i gain the difference that i should have if i was 10 from the beginning ?
* Because if not, that's mean that intelligence should be an investissement only in the character creation.

veteran
veteran
Yeah, I was one of those who thought it was too overpowered before, but there has to be something done, like maybe increased spell power, or something, to make each point of Intelligence - not just every 5 points - to have an effect.

L
stranger
stranger
L
They, maybe, should calculate that with "half-point". If the rule is the next one :
Skills points per level : 2+(0.2*Intelligence).
- 3 points each level for 5 in Int.
- 4 points each level for 10 in Int.

They could gives half-point like :
- I have 6 in Int, so i gain 3,2 skills point per level. So i gain 3pt each level and 4pt at level 6 (3,2+3,2+3,2+3,2+3,2).

Then a guys which is improving is Intelligence must be reward by all the skills he loses from the beginning, in fact the difference between the new score and the old score.

A
apprentice
apprentice
A
I hate the idea of intelligence increasing spell power so I hope they don't do that

S
apprentice
apprentice
S
Would it be too late now to split out adventuring skills?

e.g. Lockpicking, Barter, Speech, Crafting and related skills should have a separate pool of skill points.

So you could for example:
- receive 2 + 0.2 x intelligence skillpoints per level that you can spend on ANY skills, as well as
- receive 1 + 0.2 x intelligence skillpoints per level that you can ONLY spend on adventuring skills

At the moment there is a lot of choice, but your Player character(s) are the only ones who interact and therefore adventure. So I increasingly find that I have to spend a lot more into adventuring skills, leaving my player characters severely underpowered. Or if I want to be on-par with my companions, then I don't get to take advantage of a lot of the adventuring skills.

Having said that - the initial version (.37) was too generous.

Just a thought smile

Forgot to add - there is precedent for player characters gaining skills differently - Mass Effect (Shepard got an extra 2 skills per level) and Dragon Age (again the Player's character had more skills to choose from than the NPCs).

Last edited by StSloth; 24/01/14 10:11 AM.
Originally Posted by Argol228
I hate the idea of intelligence increasing spell power so I hope they don't do that

Why? Isn't it logical the wiser one get's, the more powerfull? If not, spells get useless if mobs get stronger and their resistance get higher. Would it not be logic that if you are smarter, your more capable to master/finetune a spell?
See it as math. The basic is easy 1+1=2 evreybody can doe that, but if it get a bit more complicated? 16x8=128 When not so intelligent you might manage to give the answer, but slow=weak. While when you are like smart and stuf, you can answer instantly=strong.
It would be the same as not increasing vitality when raising constitution. Well, atleast that is my opinion. But I am not infallible. :p

Join the Weresheep of Original Sin Facebook page! https://www.facebook.com/WeresheepOfOriginalSin
A
apprentice
apprentice
A
Originally Posted by Dexyd

Why? Isn't it logical the wiser one get's, the more powerfull? If not, spells get useless if mobs get stronger and their resistance get higher. Would it not be logic that if you are smarter, your more capable to master/finetune a spell?
See it as math. The basic is easy 1+1=2 evreybody can doe that, but if it get a bit more complicated? 16x8=128 When not so intelligent you might manage to give the answer, but slow=weak. While when you are like smart and stuf, you can answer instantly=strong.
It would be the same as not increasing vitality when raising constitution. Well, atleast that is my opinion. But I am not infallible. :p

Tying spell power to Will Power is far more logical. If the spells are sourced from the character. then it is the will and determination that strengthens the spell.

Sorcerers in D&D/Pathfinder makes more sense. Your blood gives you the ability to cast magic. It is by your own will you develop spells. It is self taught. not through study. So the more experience you gain. the more you begin to understand your own power.

So that would be like Goku harnessing Chi to use Kamehameha. He certainly isn't that intelligent and didn't need to study it

For Magic to work based on Intelligence it would have to be more about using Magical reagents, rituals, Incantations and Runes/Glyphs. This way Intelligence actually reflects the study and memorization of such spells. This is basically a D&D Wizard. but even then Intelligence does not boost their spell power. it lets them memorize more spells.

Last edited by Argol228; 24/01/14 12:03 PM.
L
stranger
stranger
L
Originally Posted by Dexyd

Tying spell power to Will Power is far more logical. If the spells are sourced from the character. then it is the will and determination that strengthens the spell.

Sorcerers in D&D/Pathfinder makes more sense. Your blood gives you the ability to cast magic. It is by your own will you develop spells. It is self taught. not through study. So the more experience you gain. the more you begin to understand your own power.

So that would be like Goku harnessing Chi to use Kamehameha. He certainly isn't that intelligent and didn't need to study it

For Magic to work based on Intelligence it would have to be more about using Magical reagents, rituals, Incantations and Runes/Glyphs. This way Intelligence actually reflects the study and memorization of such spells. This is basically a D&D Wizard. but even then Intelligence does not boost their spell power. it lets them memorize more spells.

That's not completely true.
In DD3/Pathfinder intelligence determines saves difficulty for their own spells. So intelligence had impact of efficient of spells (with the wizard, it's charisma for the sorcerer ou wisdom for priest).

Now on DOS no attribute improve efficient of abilities (but skills do). This a choice, and a good one. Because you can have a smart warrior, a fast wizard or a strong ranger. This concept is not so good in DD, but here that can match.

veteran
veteran
So you're not against having an attribute that increases spell power, you just want it named the way you want. That's just quibbling.

Willpower is not a primary attribute, Larian thought about making it one, but decided against it. Willpower has a purpose in the game to help you cast defensively. The point that you're missing is that Intelligence could use something to make it a bit more useful. Maybe increasing spell power is what it should do, maybe it should do something else.

journeyman
journeyman
I think it could tie into some of the things perception does, way I see it having a brain is just as useful for those bonuses as good eyesight.

veteran
veteran
Except we already have a perception stat. Is your suggestion to delete either Perception or Intelligence and combine the bonuses?

journeyman
journeyman
Nah, just add a minor bonus to one, I don't see spellpower being needed but as it's all people seem to think of in relation to int stats in an rpg I just thought I'd mention that as an aside ot get people thinking, funnily enough about intelligence. I do feel the payoff for it is a little bit low at the moment, and even if it was just a small like .25 increase to the same things as perception per point that would help make it a little more appealing.

One example here is sure perception would help you spot the trap, but intelligence would let you stop and say, that area is dodgey as hell, they must have trapped it, you get what I'm saying?

veteran
veteran
I think that might be making the stats go too far into the other stats specialization.

L
stranger
stranger
L
I don't think intelligence should increase spells effects.
Because Strength doesn't increase warrior abilities effects (stun, rush, whirlwind, etc...)
Because Dexterity doesn't increase ranger abilities effects (multishots, etc...)

So right now it's well balanced : nothing do nothing.
But :
- Strength improve melee hit and carry score.
- Dexterity improve ranged hit (dexterity is the worst stat in this game, really useless. It should improve something else (ranged hit and something else), and it needs it more than intelligence).
- Intelligence improve skills points per level (but only each 5 points).

So to balance Intelligence you don't need to improve spell (as Strength and dexterity) you only need to create a system with "half-skills points" and reward by skills points when you decide to improve intelligence.

It bothers me from a gameplay standpoint that there are many totally ineffectual ability points I would put into a stat before getting a (decent but not amazing) bonus on the fifth.

In general, I think it would feel a lot better if we got things like

"Every point of strength increases HP slightly, improves melee damage, and critical chance".

"Every point of Dexterity improves the accuracy of one's attacks, ranged damage (less than melee damage though to give melee an upside over kiting all things always), and critical damage (i.e. you are more dextrous so you can find more deadly spots more easily)"

"Every point of Constitution increases HP moderately, improves all physical damage resistances, and increases the number of AP you start each battle with".

"Every point of Speed increases the movement speed of the character on the battlefield, the number of AP recovered per turn in battle (1 per 4-5 I guess would probably be decent), and the dodge chance versus physical attacks"

"Every point of Intelligence increases max possible AP, increases spell damage slightly, and increases all resistances to magical damage".

This way, every point matters and has a multitude of nice little bonuses that reward you for putting points somewhere.

__

TL;DR: Having a nice multitude and some immediate pay-offs make stat optimizing and earning far more rewarding imo, and above is my shot at a guesstimate of what could do that for us.

veteran
veteran
I like where your head's at, YoungFreshNewbie.

old hand
old hand
I'm curious why is int (instead of (2*dex+1*con)/3) associated with max AP ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard