Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
First of all, im happy to see another divinity game coming out.

I'm actually not a big fan of taking turns in battle (classic divine divinity style would be awesome, just what i'm thinking)

However, this game is still in early alpha(thats atleast what it said on the startup)

So here is what should propably be changed:
- If you open a crate, barrel or something like that, it should close if you open another one and shouldnt stack on the screen.

- The objects you move shouldnt be able to be placed in other objects.

- Now thats my personal "problem" but the taking turns combat is to clunky for this kind of game, you should be able to move free and attack enemies how you like. (Like in the classic divine divinity) I think alot of people would like that better.

And last is that the game takes a huge while to start up and it looks like its frozen, but i think in an alpha release thats not uncommon so i dont mind it, some people might just be not that patient.

I wont say anything about the price because i dont know how it will come out when its finished, but how it is at the moment. i wouldnt recommend it. Better wait for it to be finished and watch a preview first.

Since i trust in the makers of the divinity games, i hope that it will become a game thats worth the price and the time.

I hope i don't offend anyone with this post. Most of this is my personal opinion, but i think many people would agree. It's not my intention to tell the makers how to make their games i'm just posting my own opinion on this.

veteran
veteran
The game is going to be turn-based in the final, it's not changing to real-time combat, sorry.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by ShadowAbominatio

- If you open a crate, barrel or something like that, it should close if you open another one and shouldnt stack on the screen.

I agree with this sooo soooooo much. I can already tell that unless this happens it will end up becoming my pet peeve in the game.

However... Somebody did mention in one of my topics that if you walk away from the containers that you opened they will close on their own, so stacking might not be so bad since we tend to open up containers in groups as that so far seems to be how they are clustered in the game world, so opening all of them, taking what we want out of some and then walking away might at least alleviate my own frustrations from containers that don't auto close or that don't have the ability to close them by simply opening another contaner and or just right clicking on my screen to close the top most container.

D
apprentice
apprentice
D
I've backed this game and have alpha privileges but I'm avoiding playing and reading much about this game because it is easily my most anticipated RPG for 2014. However, I am curious about your criticisms and hoping you can elaborate further on two of your points below:

If you open a crate, barrel or something like that, it should close if you open another one and shouldnt stack on the screen.

What is it about the game that is a hassle or inconvenient if a container object remains open? Right now I'm playing Dragon's Dogma and it drives me nuts how doors I open close all by themselves after a while. Not a huge issue, just irritating and I'd rather the game allow me direct control - if I open something or close something, it stays that way unless I interact with it again.

Also, what do you mean that container objects should NOT stack? Are you saying they can stack on top of each other? If so, I'd say that kind of thing should stay in the game. There were some rewarding and creative uses of stacking objects in Ultima VII - a spiritual guide for DD:OS.

The objects you move shouldnt be able to be placed in other objects.

I'm confused about this? Why is placing an object inside another object bad? Sounds to me like the simulation of the game is quite high if objects can be place inside other objects. Can you please explain this more as to why you criticize this?

a_wife_01 glares at you threatengingly, ready to divorce!
journeyman
journeyman
As to the containers I find the right click to close in the top right portion of whatever container is open to close it is fine, but I'd like it to apply to the entire area if possible, like right clicking anywhere on the container to close it, save a bit of time rather than rushing to the x button or simply running away to close things.

As to loading times it varies from system to system. I'm running on a mid range pc without a decent hard drive (ssd) and I've yet to see more than a flash of a loading screen, like less than 2 seconds. So I'd rate it's just luck at this point which is normal for alpha testers, try reading through player feedback to see if people with similar specs to yours are encountering issues to try and nail down why it's happening, for example a lot of people have trouble on 32 bit systems at the moment.

Pacing objects into others as you put it seems one of the standard features one would expect from divinity, but the system can be a little sensitive to ti at the moment causing it to happen accidentally, along with the stacking.

As to the turn based versus real time that you think people would like, as I can see it at the moment most extreme long time backers of Larian are enjoying the turn based system immensely, and has been stated previously by Swen he wanted the other games to be turn based when they were being developed but the idea was squashed by publishers, give them time to polish the combat system they've been craving and I'm certain you'll change your mind if only in this one instance.

enthusiast
enthusiast
A great deal of the appeal of this game to me is picking stuff up, moving it around, collecting stuff, combining stuff to make things...

So I would like the container screens to stay open unless I close them. Sometimes I might want to move items from one container to another, or compare items in two different containers or just look in lots of things at once because I can! I like collecting and hoarding stuff so I loved this feature in Divine Divinity and would be disappointed if it was removed from Original sin. And if containers are closing when you walk far enough away from them, then I don't see this as much of a problem. However...

Originally Posted by JFSeiki
As to the containers I find the right click to close in the top right portion of whatever container is open to close it is fine, but I'd like it to apply to the entire area if possible, like right clicking anywhere on the container to close it, save a bit of time rather than rushing to the x button or simply running away to close things.

This seems like a really, really good idea (so long as it's easy to implement of course).

What do you mean JF about the system being a little too sensitive at the moment, is this something that it looks like they will work on?

Has anyone else raised this in the alpha subforum?

"Love one another and you will be happy. It's as simple and as difficult as that" - Leunig
enthusiast
enthusiast

So I would like the container screens to stay open unless I close them. Sometimes I might want to move items from one container to another, or compare items in two different containers or just look in lots of things at once because I can! I like collecting and hoarding stuff so I loved this feature in Divine Divinity and would be disappointed if it was removed from Original sin. And if containers are closing when you walk far enough away from them, then I don't see this as much of a problem. However...

-> I hope they don't it's one of the things changed in the new build, finally autoclose..

hope they will make closing system right click anywhere as well..

but what you can do is put a box in your inventory and use it to sort shit smile

"Dwelfusius | Were-axlotl of Original Sin"

Hardcorus RPGus PCus Extremus
enthusiast
enthusiast
So I won't be able to store a bunch of chests in my shelter plane homestead and open them all to see and easily sort all of my glorious treasure hoard? *sad face*

Well, I'll be happy for those that want things this way. Also, editor...

"Love one another and you will be happy. It's as simple and as difficult as that" - Leunig
Support
Support

You can right click any cosmetic part of the container window to close it. The actual inventory section does not respond to right clicks, probably because right clicking equipment in your inventory will equip it (so either right clicking is disabled to avoid closing the window on miss-clicks, or they just have not added feature yet when right clicking on empty inventory slots).

You can get easily get a line of 4 chests open at the same time (that is how many are in the barracks), and with telekinesis you can also open containers from farther away. Containers don't close until you get a bit more than a couple times the characters' height from them. You'll run out of screen space long before you get to a point where you can not open all the containers you care to collect.

journeyman
journeyman
Sorry raze but so far right clicking the cosmetic part of containers as I stated has only worked in the upper right portion of whatever I;m closing, I can right click anywhere else on the picture and get nothing.

To Robcat, I was more referring to my character with telekinesis looting things sometimes when I'm clicking on containers it decides I don't want to run up to it and loot it it picks the thing up and then stacks it somewhere close to my cursor. That has caused me to be moaned at and attacked by villagers, as well as having 2-3 chests land up on cliffs where I can't get them down anymore, which just looks weird. That said I could still loot them, I not a massive problem.

enthusiast
enthusiast
maybe i'm missing something but in homeplane, can't you just put chests next to each other? so you stay in vicinity whilst opening others

"Dwelfusius | Were-axlotl of Original Sin"

Hardcorus RPGus PCus Extremus
S
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
S
They shouldnt close for themselves after a while, just when you open one and another next to it, it layers the storage windows. So what i was suggesting is: If you open one storage window and then another it should close the first one.

And the second point: It's just kinda wierd if you put a barrel (not in the inventory or storage) into another barrel on the screen.

stranger
stranger
Not being able to open more than one storage container at a time would be way more annoying then manually closing each one. I often open all the containers in a cluster at once then sort through all of them and since they all stack the close buttons are all lined up so I just do a series of clicks to close them all.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Erdrix
Not being able to open more than one storage container at a time would be way more annoying then manually closing each one. I often open all the containers in a cluster at once then sort through all of them and since they all stack the close buttons are all lined up so I just do a series of clicks to close them all.

If they leave it like this then they need to tweak it as you have to move the mouse between each container closing for some odd reason. If I have 3 containers open I click on the close button and it closes, I click again and nothing happens, I have to move the mouse one way or another and then click again. Rather annoying when I've got a whole cluster of containers opened at once.

stranger
stranger
It does need some polishing, no denying that.

M
stranger
stranger
M
I love the Turn Based Combat! As a person who suffers both Chronic Gout and Arthitis in my hands its great. Just not any good anymore at twitch gaming so Turn Based for the win. I'm so happy that its a genre that seem to be having a revival of sorts. cheer

Last edited by Martoq; 21/01/14 05:20 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard