Print Thread
#479735 23/01/14 02:45 PM
P
PDS Offline OP
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
P
Wondering if someone is makeing a walkthrough of this alpha version so far. If not, maybe we can post quest-by-quest here with important NPCs locations and other important things.
This way everyone that doesn't have that much time to explore all (like myself) can at least get a feel of quest progression and how it's working.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I'll work on making one. No one's asked for it yet until now. But since you did, there's probably a lot of others who'd need something like it.

enthusiast
enthusiast
I asked Larian for permission on making a fan wiki for D:OS, waiting for reply.

Originally Posted by Haleseen
I asked Larian for permission on making a fan wiki for D:OS, waiting for reply.

*clears throat*
*points at his signature* :hihi:

So apart from that (ugly, WIP) WOoS site, D:OS also has an entry on wikia.
Personally I don't really mind where the effort goes, nor do I have a real preference, but I think it would be good to direct all efforts to the same spot-ish.
Keeping an eye on this thread. smile

Weresheep of Original Sin: Facebook | homepage (WIP wink )
sheep is the plural of sheep oops
enthusiast
enthusiast
I personally don't like wikia, due to it's 'ad central' look. It's... also not the most friendly page in terms of navigation.

I think starting something fresh would be good, as well as including tips and tutorials for the editor that will ship as well.

veteran
veteran
I personally don't like wikia, due to it's 'ad central' look. It's... also not the most friendly page in terms of navigation.

I think starting something fresh would be good, as well as including tips and tutorials for the editor that will ship as well.

Yeah, that's why I don't like wikia. I also think that it is far too early to make a wiki. We don't really much, just a thread with some steps we an copy and paste if someone can't figure out how to complete a quest.

S
S
Originally Posted by PDS

This way everyone that doesn't have that much time to explore all (like myself) can at least get a feel of quest progression and how it's working.

DoS is currently using a flag / trigger system, and is akin to Ultima VII / Serpent's Gate in this manner. Balder's Gate also comes to mind, as does Dragon Age.

However, DoS is unusual in that it is (attempting: there's bugs / lack of trees) focusing on multiple ways to satisfy at least the main quest trees; the sub-quests are entirely linear and shallow atm.

Hope that helps.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Alright, I'll start working on this, just got permission from Larian. Just need to make sure to mention that this is of the alpha/beta builds of the game.

Will post a link to the wiki when I have the website up and running.

S
S
Entirely useless at this point. Hint - leather armor is currently bugged (spawns with between 3-12 AC) and so on.

There's simply not enough fixed points to make it worthwhile.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Entirely useless? At least we'll know what works and what doesn't, and we won't have to search through hundreds of posts about stuff that may or may not be related to the issue.

I'm perfectly fine creating a wiki that says, 'This is how you do this quest, these are the possible side options, these are the bugs that you *may* encounter'. If leather armor spawns at 3-12 AC, then, let it be known that that's a possibility in the current patch level.

Ideally it's a website full of information, guides, topics, tables, and whatever the hell else to help other users be able to have more fun out of the game. This game might be in alpha stage right now, but soon it'll be in beta, and then release. It doesn't hurt to be ahead of the curve and build something useful that everyone can share information on.

I personally would like to contribute mostly about the editor, whenever that gets released. Because quite frankly, I don't think that Larian is going to include an 'instruction manual' on how to use it, and people will be wanting to make their own campaigns and such right off the bat. I think it would be really cool to write guides and things on the wiki so that others can make some really great stuff, without having to resort to unanswered forum posts.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
I personally would like to contribute mostly about the editor, whenever that gets released. Because quite frankly, I don't think that Larian is going to include an 'instruction manual' on how to use it, and people will be wanting to make their own campaigns and such right off the bat.

Well to quote Larian from the Steam Forum about the editor: "The editor is going through an important "internal" test next week and if it passes that, in theory it's ready for public release. We'll see then how we're doing on integrating feedback and release it when we have the resources to handle the support the editor will undoubtedly require. It's a very powerful tool but powerful tools have the nasty habit that they're complex. Also, we still need to prep a decent manual/tutorial ;)"

So there is talk of there being a guide for the editor. Although at first it may be minimal and those of us that want to test it out will furiously be figuring out what things do. By launch it should have a complete manual/tutorial coming with it.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Larian might end up being different. But I don't think I've ever seen a decently documented editor released alongside a game. I remember Obsidian kept complaining about how 'powerful' their Aurora toolset was (I think that's what it was called), and was wondering why awesome stuff wasn't being created, and the main reason was because it was intimidating and not well documented. You wouldn't believe what kinds of editors that Paradox sends with their games, they may or may not have *A* video that shows someone how to do something.

And if you didn't see it in the kickstarter campaign, there was a pretty damn complex shader tree that one of the guys was making to test different effects on models. Someone might want to do stuff with that, but, I'm not sure that's one of the areas that Larian would focus on to show us how to do, so having a wiki entry about it would be nice.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Yeah I've seen the editor in action during the Kickstarter. Just saying there will be a guide with it. I also said it may be minimal at start. So we will probably have lots of trial and error with things. And that it "should" have a complete one at launch, but that may not necessarily be the case. I too am excited to get my hands on this editor as I've had an idea for what to make since I watched the videos. I do think a player created guide for both the game and the editor is a good idea.

B
stranger
stranger
B
I would be very interested in helping out with a wiki. I agree with Haleseen that the information it could provide would be very useful, as long as the game version is documented along with that information. And since it looks like we will be snowed in for the next three months, I'll have plenty of time.

Link Copied to Clipboard