Larian Banner: Baldur's Gate Patch 9
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#481297 03/02/14 07:46 PM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
I just purchased DOS recently and have been following the game development, specifically for the toolset. I know it's not available yet, but I was wondering if there would be an update on ETA or how it's going.

Perhaps I missed an update somewhere and people could point me in the right direction.

Mokah
The Grumpy Strumpet
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
Originally Posted by Lar_q
I'm afraid we're running a bit late but rest assured that the editor is coming. A lot of work is being put into it but we first want to deal with the feedback on the main game before releasing it, otherwise we'll get too swamped.

Here's the full thread: http://www.larian.com/forums/ubbthr...;Words=editor&Search=true#Post479087

stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Thx for the update.

Mokah
The Grumpy Strumpet
addict
addict
Still no editor ETA ?

Un chemin de 1000 lieues commence par un premier pas.

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
veteran
veteran
There's a lot of work left for Larian to do on the game and refining the systems. The editor is a nice toy, but it's not really that important at this point,

EDIT: Given the amount of bugs that they already have to manage in the base game. Seriously, there are big patches that change the systems about once a week.

I believe that it's likely Larian would like to clean up some more of the major bugs so their QA team has more time to support the editor.

Last edited by Stabbey; 07/02/14 08:04 PM. Reason: editor support
Stabbey #481653 07/02/14 05:52 PM
addict
addict
not for you obviously, but it is that important for me. And I wouldn't call it a toy either, as it probably will be the most important part of the game in the long run.

I just hate it when devs do that. They should know better...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kUksMDzHJ8

Last edited by Cromcrom; 07/02/14 05:56 PM.

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
Stabbey #481657 07/02/14 06:18 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Stabbey
There's a lot of work left for Larian to do on the game and refining the systems. The editor is a nice toy, but it's not really that important at this point.

Just because it's not important for you, again, doesn't mean it's not important for the rest of us. We want to get to making shit, and this is THE MOST IMPORTANT TOOL TO BE ABLE TO DO THAT. And we don't have it yet.

And for one, the... uhm... system that need refining... well, normally that wouldn't apply to a player made module. Also artists.

Stabbey #481658 07/02/14 06:22 PM
old hand
old hand
The editor is a nice toy, but it's not really that important at this point.

A rather condescending and self-centered comment I'd say. For some of us, the toolset was a major reason for pledging the amounts we did during the Kickstarter and we're a little anxious to see it, especially since it was once expected in December. While you are generally an asset to the community here, that post contributed nothing helpful to this discussion. You aren't the anointed spokesman for Larian or the player base, regardless of how much you post.

DOS2 Mods: Happily Emmie After and The Noisy Crypt

Steam Workshop
Nexus Mods
veteran
veteran
I'm looking forward to using the editor as much well. However, with the game's systems changing from week to week, you do realize that there's going to be compatibility issues, and required editor patches.

One reason why the release of the editor has been delayed is because Larian doesn't want to swamp their QA department with even more reports. It's right there, seven posts above, made a little more than two weeks ago.

addict
addict
Moreover, the first kickstarter update was about the toolset, so it is suppoesed to be a big asset in this game, as it is.
I trust there is a whole patient and silent community waiting to put its hands on it, and maybe even don't care about balancing whatever, because we, modders, could probably balance and mod some very deep system, for what I have glimpsed of the toolset.
Some of us might even consider DOS toolset as the spiritual successor of NWN1 and 2 toolsets, so that a looooong time to wait to put our hands on a worthy modding tool.

But it's ok, we will wait, no choice really here in fact ^^. Just some update about the toolset status/issues would be nice too.

And, just to say, the steam pre-order explicitly states there is a toolset available. This is THE MAIN reason why I pre-ordered the game. So I do feel a little cheated here.

However, I really like Larian and what they are doing, and the spirit behind this studio.
But please do not despise the modding community.

Project:
Steam workshop Frontiere
enthusiast
enthusiast
I for one, pledged $600, less for the game, and more for the editor. I saw a lot of promise in it. That doesn't mean I don't like the game. I've been playing the alpha and have been trying to provide feedback and opinions. That's because I feel that it would be good to help Larian develop a game that people like, and it is obvious that some people don't like some important things, like how the current turn-based combat system and character statistics work. There's numerous posts about 'this stat does nothing', 'what does this stat do', 'omg this stat rocks', or whatever. So there's obviously problems with it, but there is consistent backlash against anyone who expresses some kind of change to it, like as if this isn't an alpha.

So... when I can make my own module... I can start working on creating art for the game and leaving a repository for people who'd like to use the assets for their modules. But I can't even start to do that because I don't even have a clue what types of 3D model formats are available to be imported, or if they might even be developed in the editor itself. Other than videos, there's nothing we can even read about for the editor, so an update would be pretty nice. I'm very certain that models should be able to transfer from one version of the editor to another, if they happened to need to update the engine like that.

Stabbey #481681 08/02/14 12:55 AM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
There's a lot of work left for Larian to do on the game and refining the systems. The editor is a nice toy, but it's not really that important at this point,

I'm pretty sure you did not mean to be so dismissive with your post, and you are right that there is tons of systems that need to be fixed.

Please know that many many people are waiting for the toolset, more than the game itself. I bought DOS specifically for the toolset first...the game second. An update about the toolset as well as a toolset beta testing time would be great and very welcomed by many of us in the community.

Mokah
The Grumpy Strumpet
veteran
veteran
You're right, I did not mean to be dismissive, and I apologize for that.

All I was trying to say was that it does not seem to me that the alpha's bug reports have quieted down much since the message from Lar was posted saying that they didn't want to be swamped with editor stuff on top of the rest of the things.

Even if you don't care about the base game, a better base game means a stronger community, which means a wider audience for mods.

Originally Posted by Cromcrom

I trust there is a whole patient and silent community waiting to put its hands on it, and maybe even don't care about balancing whatever, because we, modders, could probably balance and mod some very deep system, for what I have glimpsed of the toolset.

You don't care about balancing because you can just mod it out? I don't agree that being able to mod a game is a great substitute for trying to put good balance in from the start. Look at Oblivion - years later and people still talk about the atrocious implementation of level scaling and random bandits wearing the most expensive armour in the game asking you for 100 gold.

As I said, the better the base game is, the wider the audience will be, which is only good for modders.

Stabbey #481730 09/02/14 01:34 AM
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
Yeah...getting the base game right is VERY important since a base game that sucks means no one will play your mod. The other thing is the community does not know what can and cannot be "modded out" which is something that I bet even Larian doesn't have a good handle right now since game systems are still in flux.

Really, I'm just asking for an update to the update and maybe a look into what the capabilities of the toolset are.

Mokah
The Grumpy Strumpet

Link Copied to Clipboard